LegacyGT.com

I drove a Lgt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']What 18yr old do you know making $1500 take home a month? Did McD's bump the minimum wage??? lol :D[/QUOTE]Hey - I was being very optimistic that working two jobs and having NO life as an 18 year old who was willing to work to get what he or she wanted, would be able to pull down a combined income, after taxes, of $1500/month. My intention was to, in a backward way, help someone do the math against their income of say $4-500/month and realize that this was not a good proposition to get into. Sort of a personal reality check. Was my logic too subtle? :) LK4L Sounds like you've got your head on square, plumb and true. I understand completely how you're differentiating between the two cars given your own demographic - male, 18, raging hormones under tight control, etc. In the final analysis it comes down to what you want and what you can afford that fits you. Go for it and good luck. And yeah, glad you're choosing Subaru too. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic']Hey - I was being very optimistic that working two jobs and having NO life as an 18 year old who was willing to work to get what he or she wanted, would be able to pull down a combined income, after taxes, of $1500/month. My intention was to, in a backward way, help someone do the math against their income of say $4-500/month and realize that this was not a good proposition to get into. Sort of a personal reality check. Was my logic too subtle? :) SBT[/QUOTE] Shithe!!! Were gonna see a LGT on Repo: Men of Steal on TLC. :p
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Hi all, I just joined this forum. My WRX lease runs out at the end of the month and I just put a deposit down on a 2005 Legacy GT 5EAT. I actually have been planning to get this car as a replacement for my WRX even before it came out. I even test drove one when they had the premier of it and it didn't dissappoint. The LGT feels quicker and has more luxuries available to it than my WRX had. I also like the fact that the car is somewhat of a sleeper. That way I won't have every young kid in his Honda revving at me at a Stop light.;) They still will get the same result if I choose to teach them a lesson. I pick up my new car on Friday and can't wait. This will be my 5th Subaru by the way. I love the way the AWD handles.

Hey Kid, Don't let the "old foggies" on this site get on your case. The fact that you're mature enough to see the value of an AWD Subaru - no matter which you pick - shows that your a smart kid. The WRX is a cool car. The LGT is a wonderful car that you can grow into. I'm pretty sure by the time you're 21 you'd be proud of yourself if you choose the LGT. Buy hey, if you choose the WRX, you can always trade up later. You have my respect that you're not another sucker for a Civic, Mazda 3, Altima, xB, or any other kidmobile. You must have been raised up pretty well.

[quote name='avengador1']Hi all, I just joined this forum. My WRX lease runs out at the end of the month and I just put a deposit down on a 2005 Legacy GT 5EAT. I actually have been planning to get this car as a replacement for my WRX even before it came out. I even test drove one when they had the premier of it and it didn't dissappoint. The LGT feels quicker and has more luxuries available to it than my WRX had. I also like the fact that the car is somewhat of a sleeper. That way I won't have every young kid in his Honda revving at me at a Stop light.;) They still will get the same result if I choose to teach them a lesson. I pick up my new car on Friday and can't wait. This will be my 5th Subaru by the way. I love the way the AWD handles.[/QUOTE] somewhat? depending on where you live it pretty much [I]is[/I] a sleeper :D

Go with the car you like (and can afford). They're both great cars- a little different in personality perhaps. But you can't lose either way. I thought about a WRX (ok, an STi, but still) and sometimes I wish I got the STi, but most of the time I am glad I got the GT ltd. Just be wary of all the issues with the WRX these guys have mentioned- insurance, theft, and driving through residential areas at 80mph! Good luck (and you are lucky to be getting one of these at 18!) tom

tom :)

I apologize for myself and others for being so hypercritical on you, it just that anytime I see 18years old + WRX = Wreck. Maybe you're different from the others, but either way be careful. Also if you do get it and someone starts to taunt you at the light, just let it go.

The guys are referring to a thread, in a nother forum, where some young guy was showing off to a friend and ended up driving thru a garage, a neighbors fence, and the trash of this house in a neighborhood where he was doing 80 MPH in a WRX. The guy said he didn't have time to hit the brakes. I know there are some responsible 18 year olds out there, but not many, I'll don my firesuit now.;)

I'll echo the sentiments here otherwise, and LK4L, you seem to be on your game. I appreciate that. Good on ya. But i have to say, that If I were in your position, looking at either college, or starting employment, I would be looking used. But I don't know your financial situation, so take it or leave it. I think a nice ~99 (or whatever was the most recent year) 2.5RS coupe with some dignified and tasty mods would be more my speed at that age. It is older, but the depreciation is done, and it is still a reliable suby. Maybe I think "used" because I am 27, married, with a degree, just bought a house, and still making less money than will allow me to buy a new car. I am on my third used vehicle since buying my first just over 10 years ago. After this last one gets paid off, or at least 6-8k resale above the principal on the loan, I hope to be looking hard at a new or used LGT, or if I actually get a raise (which has been promised me for a year now. Lovely State Univ. job.) maybe a hi-perf Legacy, like an STi if Subaru offers one by then. if you can afford new, great, and you are still looking at Subies, as you said, at least you aren't looking at clap-trap civics, or worse yet, Chevy Cobalts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Whoops, I missed the boat on this thread. Wunderkind, the Legacy does handle better than the WRX. It's better balanced and has wider tires in stock form. The WRX just plows and plows and plows, it's really annoying, and the Legacy can take turns faster because it's more neutrally balanced. Not to mention the Legacy is also better at powering out of an apex. LazyKid, about the insurance thing - just FYI, when I sold my WRX to get the Legacy, my insurance dropped by $800 a year. The WRX costs more to insure, that's all.

i'm alittle late on this thread but i've been driving my 2.5RS for over 3 years now. i couldn't afford the WRX when i was looking at cars (adding up the insurance, gas, and inital cost). after a year of driving the RS i wanted the WRX and then the STI a year after that so much since i was missing out on the fun. now i'm looking at the GT. the only thing stopping me from getting it now is my new house morgage. the two reasons why i'm considering the GT over the STI is the luxery and the non-racer image. the STI is getting alot of looks by street racers and cops where i live. pretty much the moral of my story is get what you can afford and like. just remember at 18 buying a $25K car is a big decision so make the choice only you can personaly say is right for you (you know your own likes and dislikes). both the GT and the WRX will get you from point "A" to point "B" which is what you are looking for.

[quote name='LzyKid4Life']So the Lgt would not be a bad touge/track car with just a little suspension mod, like some sti springs?[/QUOTE] right out of the box it is a pretty good setup but adding alittle stiffer springs and center of gravity drop would make the car a alittle better corner handler. over the wrx it has the low end without as much turbo lag so it should be alittle better coming out of corners.

Hey, im 18 and sadly I drive a 79 International ScoutII...I sometimes get to drive my Dad's Cayenne. Its like the anti-WRX. If you can get a WRX get one, you know you want it...you just do. I made this deal with my father that if he got his Cayenne, and I got on the dean's list for my entire freshman year that he would get me a WRX, but now im thinking about getting a LGT... What should I do!?

Archived