LegacyGT.com

aftermarket navigation

garmin nuvi 660. very happy with it. I suggest you buy from Costco.com. They have a great price online for it and have a no restocking fee if you're not happy. Best Buy and Circuit city were both $100-200 more and charge 15% restocking fees if you return it.

Nuvi 660. I know over 10 people that have the Garmin and love it. I think the TomTom has caught on recently and they are similar. You should go to the store and try to play with the different interfaces and then order it online. Here is a pic of how i mounted in my OB. Also, I was able to utilize the extra power plug and AUX plug in the console for power and music/phone calls. It works awesome.

IMG_0716.thumb.jpg.bff6a1a952d2e433fe143fb8d08bf6ce.jpg

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350. Works great, never looses signal. Text to voice is great giving turns by street name. Also like that it announces your present turn and the next one to give you a heads up which way you are going next. Go up the Nuvi ladder if you need more bells and whistles or additional maps. Garmin just updated their maps to 2008 version this spring. Make sure the one you buy has the new maps. The previous maps were two to three years old. Garmin won't upgrade maps on a new unit purchased with older maps.

I would suggest getting a PDA or smartphone and getting a Bluetooth receiver and the software. I have Oncourse, and I love it. I have TomTom on my phone, but I would chose Oncourse over it.

You can pick up a cheap pda for cheap on ebay and the software with the receiver is about 140 or so. The pda obviously has some more functionality over a dedicated system and you can carry it around with you if you go site seeing on foot.

I had a Mio Digiwalker and for the price, you can't go wrong: $169 (after rebate) at Pep Boys or $179 at Circuit City.

For S&G I ran it in parallel to the Subie factory navi in an '08 WRX on a recent roadtrip. It was flawless and showed streets that were NOT on the OEM unit!

I liked the programable display...speed, eta, etc. can be set to display on the screen all the time. Good POIs, etc. The only drawback was the display in daylight was pretty washed out. If you want a good BASIC unit, it's a great value.

I also just bought a Garmin Nuvi 200. The display is great in the sun, and at night. It's mapping software has some flaws (a little off on the address in a couple of places - same as the Subie's OEM software). Easy to use with intuitive menus and good POIs. Overall, a nice compact basic unit at a decent price ($249 at Circuit City).

Both units have internal batteries and can be used to carry around when out of the car, but only for a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if any of these navigation systems has this function:

1. store certain destinations, so that you can get directions to that destination wherever you are.

2. how fast is the refresh ratio on this? ie: I don't want to hear "turn left" like 5 seconds after I should have turned..

Last week I set up a TomTom 750. It was beaitful!

All the TomTom have favorite destinations, so you can store them for future use.

They are fast as well, and will tel you way in advance that a turn is coming.

X

---

I had a Mio Digiwalker and for the price, you can't go wrong: $169 (after rebate) at Pep Boys or $179 at Circuit City.

For S&G I ran it in parallel to the Subie factory navi in an '08 WRX on a recent roadtrip. It was flawless and showed streets that were NOT on the OEM unit!

I liked the programable display...speed, eta, etc. can be set to display on the screen all the time. Good POIs, etc. The only drawback was the display in daylight was pretty washed out. If you want a good BASIC unit, it's a great value.

I also just bought a Garmin Nuvi 200. The display is great in the sun, and at night. It's mapping software has some flaws (a little off on the address in a couple of places - same as the Subie's OEM software). Easy to use with intuitive menus and good POIs. Overall, a nice compact basic unit at a decent price ($249 at Circuit City).

Both units have internal batteries and can be used to carry around when out of the car, but only for a few hours.

^^^^You can hack this unit and put almost any brand map on it.

Don't waste your time or money people!!!! Buy the mio and hack it!!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I've been using the TomTom 720 for the last month and it gets the job done. I would say it's on par with the Garmin's now, with the latest TOMTOM OS update. iPod controls, Text-Voice, Bluetooth Handsfree, Reel time traffic and slim form factor, are the bennefits. Being able to dial a point of interest from the touchscreen is cool. Mapshare sold me, never have your map go obsolete...

I hardwired mine in with a Kudamount. Kind of blocks out the passenger temp control, but being able to control my ipod with my index finger in 5th is great.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43183&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1190692339

Whoa, WTF - that's what the '07's radio looks like? Where have I been that's fugly as hell! :) No offense man.

I've been rocking the basic Garmin c330. It's ghetto but it works great. You can't go wrong with Garmin. My buddy has a Mio and the interface is just terrible. He says it gets him there though.

I've been using the TomTom 720 for the last month and it gets the job done. I would say it's on par with the Garmin's now, with the latest TOMTOM OS update. iPod controls, Text-Voice, Bluetooth Handsfree, Reel time traffic and slim form factor, are the bennefits. Being able to dial a point of interest from the touchscreen is cool. Mapshare sold me, never have your map go obsolete...

I hardwired mine in with a Kudamount. Kind of blocks out the passenger temp control, but being able to control my ipod with my index finger in 5th is great.

+1

Love my 720, really the best Navigation system out there, kinda pricey, but really worthy!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived