LegacyGT.com

Hard Water!!1!

Ok, a simple story, with a simple question. Everytime I wash my car, when I am done and am getting to dry, it leaves these AWFUL hard water "stains" on the car. Sometimes it looks worse than if I hadnt washed the car at all!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I might avoid this in the future (adding softener to the bucket water, finishing wax, etc)?

Help!!!

You can use the Mr. Clean carwash kit. The filter in the kit removes the hard water causing deposits leaving a clean looking car. Cost is a little expensive upfront, but it would fix your problem.

eeehhhhhhhhh.........nope. throw this one in the trash.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Be sure you're washing in the shade. Sun will cook mineral deposits quicker. I've heard adding vinegar to your wash water will help (I don't know how much ... maybe a cup per gallon???).

Generally, I find working in the shade and out of the breeze makes all the difference.

That's all I can offer.

Well, the car washes use reverse-osmosis to get the dissolved solids out of the rinse water. Effective, but expensive. Your best bet is probably going to be washing in the shade and drying the car with a microfiber or something similar before the car "air dries".

You'll need to use a good polish and either a small orbital buffer or lots of elbow grease to get off those water stains that are on your car now (Nufinish is what I'd use). But once the spots are gone, give your paint a coat of wax and it will prevent new water stains from messing with your clearcoat.

And make sure you're in the shade when washing your car and that the paint is cool to the touch. Use something like "The Absorber" or a similar product to get that water off quickly.

Mr. Clean did a poor job with my hard water. I hope to get a whole house softener. The Cal squeegee and an absorber are a pretty good combo, as well. Meantime, I have been using "wax-as-you-dry" spray. Works decent on my black care, leaves a nice shine. I use the squeegee, too, just to save on towels. I saw something interesting called a "water stick" or "water stik", which also addresses hard water with an inline filter. I never wash in the sun. I don't know how car dealers manage.

What I do is soak the whole vehicle. As I'm washing the vehicle a piece at a time, I'm rinsing the entire vehicle. Therefore the vehicle stays wet the entire time and the hard water doesn't get a chance to dry until I'm ready to dry the vehicle. Then the real work begins trying to get the vehicle dry before the water dries and waterspots the vehicle. Last but not least, if you have a touchless car wash in your area, I highly recommend using it. It's not perfect, but it will get most of the gunk most of the time. You can finish what it misses.

Archived