LegacyGT.com

Anyone else having issues with the TPMS?

J.R.

Last week, my TPMS light came on the dash, so I figured that I had a nail in one of the tires that was going low. So I check the pressures and everything looks good, 34 psi in each tire. I took the car to the dealer, and they said they reset the pressure in the tires, and then reset the system. I didn't check the pressures, but the light just came on again. Haven't had a chance to check the pressures on the tires yet. But I'm going to be taking it into the dealer again tomorrow.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who has had issues with this system yet. And was wondering if we figured out a way to just turn it off :)

The TPMS light will illuminate if any of the sensors sees a change of 3 psi or more from the last time it read the pressure. It can be caused by a tire losing pressure or temperature changes.

IMHO TPMS equipped cars should all run Nitrogen in the tires...less susceptible to temperature changes.

The TPMS light will illuminate if any of the sensors sees a change of 3 psi or more from the last time it read the pressure. It can be caused by a tire losing pressure or temperature changes.

IMHO TPMS equipped cars should all run Nitrogen in the tires...less susceptible to temperature changes.

you looked up how to spell susceptible:lol:

if you ask me tpms should have an on off switch

I just took my Legacy to the dealer for trouble with the TPMS indicator light. While talking to the service writer I explained how I had taken a vacation from Eastern Kansas to Estes Park, Colorado. During the drive across Western Kansas the TPMS light started flashing (I had been driving a consistent 75 MPH for about 2 hours). I stopped at the very next gas station and checked the pressure in all the tires. They were all running about 35 or 36 PSI. Certainly about what I would expect on a 90+ degree day. I had shut the car off during this stop. When I restarted and headed back down the highway I again had no trouble until I'd been driving for somewhere around 2 hours. A restart of the car at a rest stop again stopped the flashing.

The driving I did around Estes Park never caused this to happen again though the morning we left to come home the TPMS light stayed on solid. I again checked the tire pressure and the front where at 33 PSI and the back where at 32 PSI (the car was cold and the tempurature that morning was probably in the 50s). After about 15 minutes of driving I heard a click and the light went out.

At one point during the drive back after again cruising non-stop for about 2 hours at 75+ the TPMS again started flashing.

Anyway of course the service writer ignored all these details and the note on the ticket said only that I had a TPMS light come on.

When they called me after looking at the car they said I was running the pressure below spec and that was why the light had come on. I tried arguing that the label inside the door says 33 and 32 which he basically said I was wrong... and that I should be running them at 36.

So, I have the car back and I am sure I'll see the light again.

Why is it that these service writers don't pass that kind of information on to the mechanic? That drives me crazy! I troubleshoot computers on a daily basis and detailed information from the user is critical in getting an accurate diagnosis. Anyone that fixes anything should know this.

I won't even go on about my notchy feeling clutch pedal that they said was "normal" and they all do that! grrrrrrr....

The dealer is not going to get a good review when I get the survey in the mail!

Flash

I just took my Legacy to the dealer for trouble with the TPMS indicator light. While talking to the service writer I explained how I had taken a vacation from Eastern Kansas to Estes Park, Colorado. During the drive across Western Kansas the TPMS light started flashing (I had been driving a consistent 75 MPH for about 2 hours). I stopped at the very next gas station and checked the pressure in all the tires. They were all running about 35 or 36 PSI. Certainly about what I would expect on a 90+ degree day. I had shut the car off during this stop. When I restarted and headed back down the highway I again had no trouble until I'd been driving for somewhere around 2 hours. A restart of the car at a rest stop again stopped the flashing.

The driving I did around Estes Park never caused this to happen again though the morning we left to come home the TPMS light stayed on solid. I again checked the tire pressure and the front where at 33 PSI and the back where at 32 PSI (the car was cold and the tempurature that morning was probably in the 50s). After about 15 minutes of driving I heard a click and the light went out.

At one point during the drive back after again cruising non-stop for about 2 hours at 75+ the TPMS again started flashing.

Anyway of course the service writer ignored all these details and the note on the ticket said only that I had a TPMS light come on.

When they called me after looking at the car they said I was running the pressure below spec and that was why the light had come on. I tried arguing that the label inside the door says 33 and 32 which he basically said I was wrong... and that I should be running them at 36.

So, I have the car back and I am sure I'll see the light again.

Why is it that these service writers don't pass that kind of information on to the mechanic? That drives me crazy! I troubleshoot computers on a daily basis and detailed information from the user is critical in getting an accurate diagnosis. Anyone that fixes anything should know this.

I won't even go on about my notchy feeling clutch pedal that they said was "normal" and they all do that! grrrrrrr....

The dealer is not going to get a good review when I get the survey in the mail!

Flash

they are lazy. as a mechanic i love to get the details as well. iv gotten tickets that say "car make a noise" "check for something loose" "bulb out" its so irritating. tell me what the problem is so i can fix it

My 07 (with under 3000 miles) has a problem with TPMS. The light came on a few weeks ago and although it occasionally turns itself off, I find it lit around 80% of the time.

Of course I've confirmed that the pressures in each tire are dead-on.

I'll bring it up when I take my car in for it's first oil change but since I'll be mounting a new set of wheels next week, it may become a moot point.

Update on mine.

Took it to the dealer on Fri morning. Said that the tires were low, 27psi all the way around. I told them I'd measured them at 34 all around. So we took 3 different gauges out to the car (after they set the pressures at 36 all around). Their gauges read 35 and 35.5 psi all around, and mine read 42 psi. So we tracked this down to a problem with my gauge. I'll update again if I start to have issues again.

I now have a digital gauge, which read 35 when I tested it out :)

LOL! At least you found the problem. When my light started flashing for no reason, the service guy told me to keep a minimum of 36 PSI in all tires...even thought the door sticker says 32 and 33. I didn't take the car in, but talked with service on the phone. It took a couple of days for the light to stop flashing after I put 36 PSI in all the tires.

• 3 months later...
I had inflated my tires to spec at home this past weekend, temp around 60 degrees F. Then when traveling to the mountains and the temp dropping to 30, the TPMS light came on. Thinking it had to do with colder air giving a false lower pressure reading, I chose to ignore it. When descending the mountain several days later, at around 50 degrees, the light went out, no adjustment needed. Dang, these things are sensitive!!!

• 1 month later...
The warning light for the TPMS keeps happening with every snowboarding trip. I realize now that for every 10F drop I lose 1 lb. of pressure. Do any of you experience this? If so, do you ignore it? Or adjust for the temp that you're at and keep adjusting with changing temperatures?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived