LegacyGT.com

not the turbo...

eles1

I wasn't quite sure where to post this one so I figured I'd try here first...

So my car's in for a turbo replacement, which ocurred at a shockingly low 50k miles, and I get a call from the dealership this afternoon to inform me that they've installed the new turbo but the car is still making the same noise. I was initially skeptical when they told me it needed a new turbo because the car was still running very strong - no noticeable loss of boost or anything. I even mentioned this to them when I dropped the car off and also stated that the noise seemed to be coming more from underneath the car, but they're the experts, right?? The best part is that they will not even admit that they eff'd up. The phone conversation with the Service Advisor went something like this:

me: "so it wasn't the turbo after all, was it?"

SA: "yes it was, the turbo we removed was bad but the car is still making the same noise."

me: "so you guys took the old turbo apart and found something worn out or defective?"

SA: "no, we don't take those apart to look at them."

me: "if you didn't take the old one apart, and it's still making the same noise with the new turbo in, what the hell makes you think there's anything wrong with the original turbo?"

SA: <silence>

SA: "ummm, well... we had two trained Subaru techs listen to it and they both said it was the turbo..."

me: <trying not to laugh> "yeah... ok"

Now I don't mean to offend anyone who is, or knows, a competent subaru technician - but do these guys know anything?? It would seem not.

The ironic thing is that it probably will end up being something in the exhaust that isn't covered by the powertrain warranty and I'll end up paying for it out of pocket. I'm still betting that something broke loose and is rattling around in the exhaust resonator.

Before anyone chimes in and tells me to switch dealerships... the next closest one is at least 50 minutes away - although it might actually be worth the drive.

The sound of a bad turbo is the sound of a bad bearing. If it's not the turbo, then it must be another bearing somewhere. You might just get lucky and end up with a new engine. Let them start replacing everything they want as long as it free.:lol:
Let's kick this pig!

I would have preferred they left the original one alone since there was nothing wrong with it. They probably screwed something else up while putting the new one in.

Not to mention I've been without my car for three days for something that probably should have taken 45 minutes to fix.

The sound of a bad turbo is the sound of a bad bearing. If it's not the turbo, then it must be another bearing somewhere. You might just get lucky and end up with a new engine. Let them start replacing everything they want as long as it free.:lol:

Don't give them any ideas :lol:

The engine is fine. It's something rattling around in the exhaust. The only time it makes the rattling sound is when it's "idling down" after being revved. Under load or at high revs, it's smooth and silent.

It's probably one of the cats then. I had a Range Rover that sounded like there were rocks in the exhaust when I would free rev it and let it off. A piece of the cat was rolling around in the exhaust pipe. Tell them to take the two sections of the DP apart and shake them to see if anything rattles or falls out. Or it could be the cat in the UP if there is one.

Did it make the noise when it was cold or only after it warmed up?

Let's kick this pig!

Wow!!! Usually the techs would try or hope to find the problem with the worst case scenario being having to touch the engine or turbo. These guys seem to work backwards.

Maybe they could fix your exhaust with a brand new SPT Catback under warranty. :icon_mrgr

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Well, new turbo is nice, but OTOH Subaru will foot the bill... given replacement was unnecessary, dealer should. Otherwise, it's technically fraud, methinks....

It's probably one of the cats then. I had a Range Rover that sounded like there were rocks in the exhaust when I would free rev it and let it off. A piece of the cat was rolling around in the exhaust pipe. Tell them to take the two sections of the DP apart and shake them to see if anything rattles or falls out. Or it could be the cat in the UP if there is one.

Did it make the noise when it was cold or only after it warmed up?

Most noticeable when warm, but you can hear it slightly when cold.

I might as well talk to a brick wall rather than make any suggestions to these guys. I guess they'll just keep on replacing parts until they get it right??

Most noticeable when warm, but you can hear it slightly when cold.

I might as well talk to a brick wall rather than make any suggestions to these guys. I guess they'll just keep on replacing parts until they get it right??

I'm still betting on a broken cat then but ifthey want to replace half the engine with new parts let em. Then when they still can't figure it out suggest the cat.:lol:

Let's kick this pig!

If they suspect the up cat and it is the problem maybe you'll get another new turbo since you likely blew crap through it.

The car hasn't been driven since the new turbo was put in - unless they took it for a test drive. All you have to do is start the car and rev it a few times to hear the noise.

If they ever do get it fixed, I'm sure the technician will have to take out for a drive and "break in" the new turbo for me :rolleyes:

Did they give you a loaner car while their "best and brightest" work on the problem?

They called the rental car company for me - my cost of course

So I wrote to Subaru and informed them of how terrible this dealership's customer service is. Next time I talked to the dealership I was informed that I had misunderstood and that the rental car was actually going to be covered by them..

I guess I was just really confused... :rolleyes:

Update....

I guess the dealership has finally determined that the UP cat was making the rattling noise. They apparently examined it once before but it only makes the rattling niose by shaking if it's in a certain orientation. Now we have to wait for a new UP to come in (don't these guys stock anything anymore??)

Anyhow, I will give them credit for not giving up on the issue. It seems this was a difficult one to diagnose. Hopefully that will be the end of that...

Archived