LegacyGT.com

Visiting San Jose

BigT

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting San Jose in a week or two for a wedding and I should have some free time. Any ideas on attractions etc? I'll only be there for two days and I'll need to be back at dinners/events by 7pm both nights. I'll be there the last weekend in September. Is there anything that is highly recommended as a tourist attraction?

Didya notice how NOBODY suggested something to do that was actually IN San Jose? :lol:

I guess you could visit the Winchester Mystery House. If you like dark buildings that smell like dirt, the Egyptian museum off of The Alameda is kinda cool.

If someone is accompanying you that likes stratospherically expensive stuff, the Santana Row shopping center is cool, and it is about 1/2 way between the Museum and the Winchester Mystery House.

Gumby is right, if you have time, visit the redwoods. The S.O. and I go to the Cowell redwoods every time we visit Santa Cruz. It is very humbling to see trees that existed during Jesus' lifetime.

-- Steve

santa cruz is 30 minutes away, great beaches, boardwalk, amusement rides, indoor golf. easily the best and closest 'coastline' or beach. just north are the elephant seals, those are cool to go see. if you want a tour, you have to call in advance. i think the fall is matting season, but i could easily be wrong. if your driving, or are looking for a nice drive, from santa cruz to halfmoon bay is a really beautiful drive. be careful of traffic if you leave san jose and need to be back by 7. after 4 or so the freeways will be packed.

im from monterey, which is really beautiful also, but a little farther away. im guessing a day at laguna seca isnt on the agenda. theres events all the time though.

lower budget shopping is to be had at the gilroy outlets. i believe they are still the largest outdoor mall in california.

Gumby is right, if you have time, visit the redwoods. The S.O. and I go to the Cowell redwoods every time we visit Santa Cruz. It is very humbling to see trees that existed during Jesus' lifetime.

-- Steve

I'm biased since I used to live in Forest Lakes which is directly opposite the Henry Cowell entrance :) Make sure you take a wide angle lens, the trees are massive :eek: The Santa Cruz wharf has good seafood restaurants, likewise Monterey. The drive up HWY 1 from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay is very scenic, you can then drive inland from Half Moon Bay and hook up with the 280 back to San Jose. Subaru of Santa Cruz rent cars, maybe an 08 WRX for the weekend?

I'm biased since I used to live in Forest Lakes which is directly opposite the Henry Cowell entrance :) Make sure you take a wide angle lens, the trees are massive :eek: The Santa Cruz wharf has good seafood restaurants, likewise Monterey. The drive up HWY 1 from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay is very scenic, you can then drive inland from Half Moon Bay and hook up with the 280 back to San Jose. Subaru of Santa Cruz rent cars, maybe an 08 WRX for the weekend?

Good call!

the whole redwoods/boardwalk/elephantseals/scenic drive is what i meant to say. i forget the highway the redwoods are on, but i think its something like 17 from san jose to santa cruz (you dont even have to get off the freeway, it turns into a street with stoplights that pretty much deadends into the boardwalk), then you take the same route/street back, but take the 1 north to halfmoon bay (or you can actually take the road that is right in front of the boardwalk north along the coast and it hits the 1 just north of the city), elephant seals are 10-15 min. north of santa cruz, plus mavericks (big wave surf contest, even though that doesnt usually start till jan/feb) is a little north of that, then you drive north to half moon bay, but along the way there are a couple nice spots to stop, take pictures, people surf or wind surf, halfmoon bay is nice, lots of flowers, then take 92 across to the 280 south to san jose. theres too much too see/do if you take this route, so start early, especially if you need to be in san jose by 7 (worst time to drive 4-7 pm). the 17 might have traffic pretty bad (watch for speed traps) and the 92 is packed during rush hours, but it still takes less than 20-25 minutes to make it too the 280. haha, i sound like a travel agent. well, have fun.

yep, 17 to Santa Cruz. get off at the Mt. Herman road exit in Scotts Valley (just before Santa Cruz) for Henry Cowell State Park. Mt. Herman road goes through Scotts Valley and then to Felton, you want 9 south for approx. 1 mile for the entrance to Henry Cowell's, when you leave you can keep going down 9 into downtown Santa Cruz or go back to 17 and like GT_Airborne said it will give you a direct route to the Boardwalk. the weather is typically excellent at this time of the year.

Don't worry about traffic on 17 during those hours. Going back to San Jose is opposite commute and smoother sailing. 85 and 280 can be a different story though. If you have never been to the West Coast I would agree that the redwoods are probably the biggest "must see". The beaches in Santa Cruz are nice too. If you are looking to chill at a beach that is a little less "touristy", New Brighton Stat Beach is pretty cool. Capitola beach is cool too. It has more of the "Shops and Restaurants" thing going for it. Have a good time! Take some pictures! The weather is beautiful today. 70 degrees and clear. Bring a sweat shirt though.

if you stay till monday, find a car to drive, and can still register, there's a track day @ Laguna Seca!

There's some nice trails for mtn biking/hiking in the SJ area, up at Montebello, or Rancho San Antonio.

A nice drive is up skyline boulevard, HWY 9 to 35, then return on 92->280 or just u-turn. (about 2 hours).

Another nice drive is 17 to Santa Cruz Area (by all the redwood forests and beaches) then turn onto 1 south to the Great Pacific Highway and then onto Monterey (cannery row) and then Carmel (Big Sur). (potentially all day)

For more relaxed stuff: go for a nice drive and head up to wine country! Napa Valley is home to many of the finest wines in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice! I wound up going to Big Basin state park. Great ride up. I took a road called Bear Creed Rd. Awesome awesome road to drive on..... if you have a good car (not a crappy impala from hertz!). I didn't get to the winchester house this time, but I plan on spending more time next summer and hopefully I'll get there and to the coast. In the meantime here are some pics (including one of a scare on the way home)

-Tom

PS. I like to call the 4th one tree sex.....

1153277424_BigBasin3.jpg.53f1ca718edac38f6cf29ffd92d08cc2.jpg

513179070_BigBasin4.thumb.jpg.b9e4c6ef5b14740f94a0bcd92386f4c0.jpg

563602881_BigBasin1.jpg.5218b7af8cd848474f517180a0199689.jpg

2108268102_Treesex.thumb.jpg.da06bfb14b8ee0742f4321b67066e53c.jpg

2051592245_Trouble@SanJoseAirport.jpg.a0daa719338a0b178047221a0cf41535.jpg

546918208_BigBasin3.jpg.a1152903202982462d57b05757edfebe.jpg

that reminds me of a joke.

Jane when she first started observing tarzan, noticed that he kept humping trees. At first she was intriuged, then later she began to feel bad for him in his blantant display of animal lust. She couldn't contain it anymore, she ran over, threw off her clothes and laid there saying "TAKE ME!!!"

Tarzan runs over, and kicks her between her legs.

"Ow! what the hell did you do that for?!" Jane demanded.

"Tarzan always check for squirells."

Good joke!

I had a blast. Thanks for all the advice guys.

My girlfriend is pretty small to begin with, but when I stood next to the tree I looked like a GI Joe action figure too!

One question: what's up with the highways? They had no lines and weird bumps, and they were seriously unlevel. Whenever I drove I heard bump bump bump bump. The roads look like they were puzzle pieces!

Archived