LegacyGT.com

235/45's on stock LGT wheels?

Kingfisher

I'm trying to plan ahead for when I need to replace the stock rubber on the LGT. Problem is the smallest 17" size that the tire I want is offerred in is 235/45 vs. the stock 215/45. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Will they fit the stock width.

2. Are they going to "turn in" real bad? On a previous sports sedan I went from a 205 to a 225 and the sidewalls want to roll over real bad in hard cornering. Those were 16's though, so it could be completely different. The overal circumference has a difference of less than 3% so the the effect on the speedo shouldn't be that big.

Thoughts?

I have 8" wide 18's on my LGT and I am only running 225's. 235's are most likely going to have to high of a side wall and 245's will be so wide it won't even be funny. I think 225's are a squeeze on stockers. I would just stick with some good summer rubber 225's. Check out Xenox's fitment and offset thread in this section. It will answer probably every question you might have.

Here I made it easy for you and copied and pasted from that thread. The stock wheels are 7" so 225 is the largest you should go.

215mm = 6.5", 7", 7.5" and 8"

225mm = 7", 7.5", and 8"

235mm = 8", 8.5", and 9"

245mm = 8", 8.5", and 9"

That's odd... for some reason my last reply didn't take. I probably PM'd it to someone. Doh.

Anyway, that's what I needed to know. Not what I wanted to year, but you know how it is. Guess I'll have to find an alternate tire solution. :( Boo.

Thanks for the info gentlemen... or ladies... (just in case). :)

I'm trying to plan ahead for when I need to replace the stock rubber on the LGT. Problem is the smallest 17" size that the tire I want is offerred in is 235/45 vs. the stock 215/45. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Will they fit the stock width.

2. Are they going to "turn in" real bad? On a previous sports sedan I went from a 205 to a 225 and the sidewalls want to roll over real bad in hard cornering. Those were 16's though, so it could be completely different. The overal circumference has a difference of less than 3% so the the effect on the speedo shouldn't be that big.

Thoughts?

1. it could fit

2. turn-in will be sloppy and horrible

overall, not wise.

food for thought #1:

your tire rollover using that much of a larger size also needs more air pressure. You can't just use the same tire pressure.

food for thought #2:

A stock STi has crammed on a 275/40/17 on a stock BBS 7.5" wide wheel for autox use.. the final verdict is that's overboard and doesn't do that well. It's better off with a 245/45/17 maximum on a 7.5" wide rim if you have to go with that far of an extreme for that kind of purpose.

Keefe

I don't believe anybody on this forum has put 235's on a 7" wide wheel (stock LGT wheel or other...)

Have you ever tried ice skating without doing the laces up?

I have, but it was so worthless that you noticed that I don't have that listed in my FAQ. It's doable, but there's that fine line of the tire choices:

245/40/17 is the more common size to use, but it requires a wider wheel due to the shorter sidewall overall. You need sidewall to flex to seat properly with the rim.. if the sidewalls are short, it's hard to stretch them to the bead of the rim however you see it. Common practice is that you can stretch a narrower tire on a wider rim, not the other way around since the bead has to sit in a particular fashion.

245/45/17 is just a bit too tall, although THIS is the size that could be used to fit over a narrower rim, and a 7" rim is really pushing that limit.

a 235/45/17 can fit over a 7" rim, but because of shorter sidewall than the 245, you are again pushing the limits of fitment. At this point, you're not gaining anything by going wider while keeping the same aspect ratio because you have to add in more air to the tire to have the sidewalls supported while cornering to prevent tire rollover. At some given point where you add so much air to prevent that, you also sacrificed the contact patch because you over inflated the tires and causing the tire to balloon and round itself out.

Keefe

I work for an acura dealership so if i find a set of tires thats good i usually snag them. I ran the mxm4 from michelin that looked huge on the car and handled like crap. Then i used falken 512s which werent all that bad. I ran 215/45/17 512s once before and after a week i sold them, bc they absolutely SUCKED! But the 235 was eh.....ok not bad. Then i ran PS2's. MMMMMMM the sex! they were great but it was like u go in a turn nice and confident but once u got too far SIDEWALL!!! You could feel the sidewall just falling over. Now im running direzzas in the 235 and they great for what they are. MUCH better than i expected. Keep in mind the first 235 i ran was on the tein S-techs. Since then i have added front and rear sways and coilovers. Stock im sure a 235 would be merely worthless. The only 235 that looked out of place was the mxm4. Just looked so bad. The rest look fine. Now there was an in between where i ran some other pilots HX MXM4 i believe in a 225. The PS2 walked all over that tire even in a 235. Bottom line is will a 235 fit....yes. But the handling isnt as crisp. It tends to get sloppy. I would rock a 225 before a 235 anyday. But im not turning down free tires either-lol. Unless they just suck haha. But whenever i buy tires i always go for the 225

Archived