LegacyGT.com

ML 320 CDI - Just too early delivery - Review

Well our new 2008 ML 320 CDI just came in a week early. I am throughly impressed with the car. The sales experience was top notch and the sales staff was great to work with. We traded in our 2003 Ford Expedition ... and happy that POS is gone.

20 mpg city with 5 miles on the car. When we went out for a 1/4 of a mile interstate exit to exit, that number jumped to 21 right away. I have little doubt that it won't get 28 mpg on the interstate.

All and all an amazing car, Navi, satellite radio (really cool, never had this before), Harmon Kardon sound (amazing), and more bells and whistles than i can count.

19" wheels standard too. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

YOU CANNOT TELL ITS A DIESEL. It was even quieter than the R-class we drove :). They brought it into the show room when we picked it up and cracked it up as they moved out i was pleasantly surprised that it sounded even quieter than i was expecting. The diesel rumble from acceleration you have to really try to hear for to even tell a difference and most people will never realize its a diesel. Until you tell them to see the befuddled look on their face. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif .

I looked at the range meter ... 620 miles (we are never going to have to fill this thing up it seems).

I love my car ... basically.

Diesel Power magazine brought a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same Mercedes diesel motor in to the shop for some dyno numbers. I was amazed at the refinement. No smoke, no clatter and it sounded as smooth as a good gas motor. The powerband was funny. Huge hit of torque just a bit off idle which falls off quickly thereafter. Odd to look at a diesel hp/tq graph too since the lines never cross since the motor doesn't rev to 5250rpm :lol:

IIRC, it made quite a bit more power than you would expect for a motor with its' advertised flywheel hp/tq ratings. The guy from the magazine took me for a ride and it was pretty snappy for an SUV, although it is a bit of a letdown to feel the power going away after the initial surge of torque.

Actually that motor in a grand cherokee was sourced from an Italian maker and not Mercedes.

I'm pretty sure of that.

no...same BlueTec IIRC

edit - woops, same basic motor, sans BlueTec:

The new engine is the foundation of Mercedes' Bluetec system, which promises record-low emissions when operated on low-sulfur fuel. The Grand Cherokee CRD isn't currently Bluetec, though it does include a particulate trap to catch all that diesel soot we Americans object to. One could say the car is diesel-ready, in a sense. When low-sulfur fuel hits the pumps here within the next year, Jeep can begin to sell Bluetec versions that make the engine as clean as possible.

straight six or SRT8? what are you trying to say? The SRT6 Crossfire had the Mercedes SLK V6 in it...perhaps that's what you meant? the last inline six in any Chrysler product was the 4.0L from the last Wrangler

Archived