LegacyGT.com

Yes, Nav and/or DVD can be fitted in the cubby!!!!

Alex1

Ok, so i have been on this forum and posted alot of times, you guys know i always ask about dvd nav head units and what not but no one seems to give a straight answere..... well today i went to a dealer near me and in their showroom, they have a 5 inch dvd screen (not touch screen) in the cubbhole, its not at the same angle but it looks good, and the nav/dvd is in the glove compartment, but it can go anywhere... subs and amps are good to go also, he said 06's face plates wont be any diffrent so stop dreaming about double din this and that...only thing he said it might have an mp3 hookup i wish i had a camera, mabye ill take some next time! anyways, hope this helps, i know its not as cool as a pop out dvd nav but it will have to do.... -Alex

i was told by my dealer (not that i believe them) but that the next year 06 will have a nav option that can be fitted into the 05's as the 05's already have wiring for them (I wasnt sure to call bullshit so i kept my mouth shut, nodded and walked away silently).

That's funny because I emailed Subaru and was told that there would most likely be some kind of nav option in the '06 but it wouldn't retro to the '05s cause the wiring wasn't there. I would have thrown the bullshit flag on the dealer. Even if you're wrong, he won't remember; especially once he sees the price he gets to charge to install it

All I can say is, explain to me where there appears to be extra wiring and harnesses in the glove compartment if you remove the rectangular plastic piece... Granted I don't know what purpose they serve, but we'll see. Either way, I want to try and fit my single DIN pioneer into the cubby next Spring.

alright it was the norwood dealer in MA largest volume of cars sold in all of MA they had it hooked up and it looked greeat, ill get pics next time i go back, most likely i will buy a leggy from them, he said after market amps/subs and speakers were no problem, nav/dvd in cubby no problem, body kits no problem, engine and exhuast he would hafta check to see if it would void the warentee....

Haha Yes... I just bought my car from Norwood Subaru last Friday and saw the DVD NAVI system you are refering to. It was equipped in a Forrester Wagon? i think. But when my friend and I saw it we were wondering how it was attached in the cubby hole and if it was removable... we pulled on the unit and I think it broke... The same car also had 2 screen units installed in the passenger and driver seats..

LOOL u broke it?!?! hahaha i think it was working when i was there, yeah they had two in the headrests too... the guys said he could put the system in the leggy :-d, im ciked... Redfly17::::: who did u deal with and how much did u pay, also where do you live?

My local dealer told me as well that they will offer a navigation option. They already have it in the Imperial Island of Japan, of course! The only thing he wasn't sure of was whether it would be a flip up screen or just there. I'll ask him again. Nick [img]http://img112.exs.cx/img112/5413/3461.jpg[/img]

Yeah...we're very upset about the lack of DVD nav. I was complaining in another thread and wondering if it would void the warranty. The dealer said they're working with an audio shop across the street to install (@ a discounted price - whatever that means) nav sys. But when I raid Circuit City and look at the only NICE nav-sys they have, I feel those prices are nothing short of a wallet-rape. TomTom Go is nice but at 1000 dollars and need to think of mounting solutions with cup holders, suction cups and all sorts of mechanisms, they can keep it. A Pioneer-Kenwood radio-cd-dvd-player with screen is 1900 plus installation that may run another 300. But I feel that is the only option. Forget Navman, Garmin Pocket-PCs, they do not work in the car...ultimately you need a clear line of sight of the sky (a sensor mounted on top of the car) and to be somwhwat free of EM interference. I tried with that of a friend and before I had my sensor mounted on the car, I tried it in the cabin. On the minivan, we have a holder much like cops, that I can put my laptop in between the seats...it is secured to not fall under hard braking and it uses a USB-enabled sensor mountedsemi-permanently on the roof. But one cannot do this in a manual tranny sedan. But did any of you try a PockePC/PDA with some nav soft (Streets &Trips, DeLormes Street Atlas) connected to an outside sensor ? This way it would come at least 1000 dollars cheaper, maybe as much as 1500 cheaper. Thank you.

I am personally going to install a carputer (as long as it doesn't void the warrenty). I plan to install a motorized 7" touch screen into the the cubby. I haven't done any measuring to confirm this because I don't own a LGT, yet. There is a GPS device (I think its $75) you can plug into your usb port that you can use with navigation software. You can build this Carputer for under the cost to have the dealer install a navigation system,plus you get a computer in your car. Check out [url]www.mp3car.com[/url]. There is a ton of information out there. ~Chris

What about this: [url]http://www.delorme.com/streetatlasusahandheld/default.asp[/url] De Lorme Street Atlas 2005 Handheld (I use their laptop version and it is pretty neat) Handheld Pocket PC (bring your own) with Bluetooth Wireless [url]http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/[/url] De Lormes Bluetooth Enabled GPS receiver. All in all say about 150 for software and 350 for a decent HP iPAQ handheld Pocket PC plus say 100 dollars for a memory card. 600 dollars in all for a nav sys that can be upgraded. Screen size is kind of small but unless you're getting an in-dash cd-dvd-nav unit, you're not really bound to get any bigger screen sizes (in general). This would be a lot more versatile and CHEAPER. De Lormes Street Atlas on their laptop version includes voice navigatio, turn by turn instructions, automatic off-route recalculation, and even your corner dollar store in terms of waypoints.

7 inch wont fit in the cubby hole unless you rip out the air conditioners on the left and right, or just one side, that would be tight, rewire it so the passanger side one goes straight up through the top of the dash haha, anyways... any company make a 5 inch touch screen??/

Shallar Subaru in New Britain have a LGT with a Nav unit in it. Basically, its the cubby-dug out w/ a Panasonic 5 inch nav system in it. It is controlled with a small remote. I'm not very impressed though, the fit job used some black plasitc pieces to cover the edges which didn't go at all w/ the dash. Also, the flyer on the walls in the dealership says DVD/Navigation unit... although when i asked he said... no, NO DVD(in a semi-eastern european accent). Anyways, i'm glad theres some modding goin on , but i would like it look as nice as the pics we get from JDM.

im confused on what happens with bluetooth... bluetooth isnt GPS right? its just some wireless thing that lets your cell phone and PDa connect with the car's audi right? and im assuiming u can install a micraphone so ur cell is completely hands free?? like in the acura TL, anyway we can do this?

Archived