LegacyGT.com

Stiff Clutch Pedal Question

issai

UPDATE:

OE fluid bled out of clutch line, replaced by Motul fluid. Pedal effort has decreased probably around 15-20%, not bad at all, although I'm still using effort, I'm not using that last bit of strained "oomph!" to hold the clutch pedal now as I previously would do.

Consequently, the shifter gates are far more distinctive now, closer to the Evo feel two nights ago. I can anticipate the grab point probably 50-75% better now. Mathematically, that doesn't make sense as (0 grab feel) * 1.5 is still 0, but y'know what I mean. :p All in all it's about 20% closer to the feel of my friend's Evo's recently replaced OE clutch + Redline or Royal Purple or whatever aftermarket clutch fluid he used.

It seems as if clutch pedal travel has lessened but this could be simply be psychological since the pedal is slightly easier to press.

I've been checking out those Puma Race / Speed Cats(?) and Firestone? shoes for months now, debating whether I should buy them. Maybe I should-- and just keep 'em in the car, because of that nice, rounded heel pivot they've got.

Street Image said the OE clutch still grabs strongly, but said the newer OE clutches do seem to exhibit less pedal effort because of a change in the spring in them.

I too feel my clutch is heavier compared to my coworkers 05 LGT wagon. In the service manual, I can see that the clutch pedal has an "assist" spring behind it. The mechanism seem to show it being compressed when the clutch pedal is out. Once you press the clutch in, the spring helps reduce the pressure. I'll try to get a picture uploaded.

I'm thinking maybe altering the spring rate will help here.

clutch_assist.jpg.7fc789110932b5f1008bb17128151fc4.jpg

Most of the linkage in the pedals are held with pins and e-clips. My first thought is to disconnect the assist and observe how it affects the pedal feel. If it's heavier after disconnect, then remove the rest of the assist and disassemble. The spring dimensions will be important, then is off to find different spring rates with the same dimensions. A small experiment might be to preload the spring with some washers, but that might not work if the spring is already fully compressed while the pedal is out.

One other question, if you look at the clutch master cylinder, there is a knob like disk at the bottom. The service manual calls this a clutch damper; anyone explain what this does?

Here's a pic of that assist spring behind the clutch pedal. The picture is with the clutch pedal pressed down. It doesn't look too hard to remove, but finding a alternate spring will require I figure out what the strength of this spring.

Just another thought, over strengthen this spring might make the clutch slower to return. Good or bad, that depends on what it's used for. I should see if this part can be purchased seperatly and get one from the 07 or 08 cars.

DSCN1952s.thumb.jpg.f7419c2fea89170cda0b2cf59ce98f9a.jpg

• 1 year later...
Ditto. Did '06 Legacys get a stiffer assist spring, or a lighter pressure plate? Once that question is answered, '05 owners will know what to change so their clutches are easier to press. I'm pissed, my old Saturn Vue had the easiest clutch I've ever felt. I moved to a presumably *better* car, and the clutch feels mushy with no feel at all!

Mine is not heavy at all (albeit I think the 07+ cars have a different clutch since we're using a SM flywheel). My 115 pound wife drives it everyday and has never once complained about it's stiffness at 28k miles now.

Compared to my father's 99 boxster, this clutch is light. Compared to my 2006 Civic SI, it's heavy.

That being said, it has the least feedback of the group. The only thing I've figured out is that it likes a good amount of throttle to ease between shifts. Maybe that's just soft mounts and the throttle helps line up the drivetrain between shifts, cause I'm not slipping anymore.

Random comparison: My buddy's 2006 WRX 2.5 5-speed had a much better clutch feel, much more positive engagement point that was incredibly easy to detect, and the pedal effort was more linear.

Joe

I just went into the dealership and tried another 05' LGT and it wasn't stiff at ALL.

Mine was about 2-3x MORE stiff.

A technician said that if the clutch is more worn down, the heavier the clutch becomes?

Not sure if that is accurate or not, but the difference in pedal feel between the 2 cars was NIGHT and DAY.

I'm going to be looking into this heavily, as I was about to sell the car because of this stiff clutch.

DuckJAI - That is incorrect. The clutch pedal has a simple operation. It moves the clutch against or away from the flywheel. However worn the clutch is should not change the pedal weight.

Thanks, that's what I thought as well.

The car has only 65k and it was lady driven, so I don't suspect an aftermarket clutch being in there.

However, I do notice when I fully depress the clutch, it does feel squishy and springy at the last 1/4 of the clutch's range of motion.

I've driven stage 2 clutches on both 240sx that I've owned and this is stiff.

Any ideas on what could be happening here?

Thanks!

Yeah, others have alot more expertise in this area than I do, but here goes:

1. A problem in your hydraulic system. This is the system that turns clutch pedal movement into sufficient pressure to release and engage the clutch.

2. There is something actually physically wrong with the clutch mechanism making it harder to release and engage it, requiring more physical effort.

3.You have a problem with the clutch pedal adjustment/spring/a squirrel crawled into your linkage and makes it hard to push against. These things do happen though. Unlikely though.

This has happened to a fair number of LGT owners, where their pedals get super hard. There should be some expertise here in fixing it.

^ I've also have read many owners feeling the same way, and then there are others who say it isn't stiff at all.

I've never found an actual reason why, the only thing I've come close to is that if the build date is older, then it's stiffer. The newer 05' models are lighter, but not sure how credible this is.

I really want to find a solution to this because it makes driving the car unenjoyable as I have a bad back.

Everything else I love about the car though.

I don't want to try to diagnose it from a distance, and besides which there are members on here with far better knowledge than me of these systems (I.e. Rao, Unclemat, many others)...

Are you on your original clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing? Has your clutch hydraulic system ever been flushed?

Joe

• 3 years later...
i am curious if you, or anyone, ever solved this issue? i have an 06 that i've put a fair amount of money into to get it where i want. unfortunately i have been fighting a foot problem in my second metatarsal for over a year. despite many doctors and an insane number of different treatments it's no better. the clutch is definitely not helping. i've been fighting the "need" to sell it for the past year. not sure i can play that game much longer unless i can lighten the clutch significantly. even considering an automatic (yuck). though many other cars clutches are soooo much lighter that i might be able to get away with it. if i could only make my subi the same....

Archived