LegacyGT.com

College Football/ Pro Football Discussion

tommypenguin

I can't give an educated answer. I just know that everyone's jumping on the Georgia/USC/Oklahoma bandwagon, saying they're the best teams RIGHT NOW. I would take Georgia over Hawaii as well. I usually don't give the smaller, out-of-the-BCS conference teams too too much respect. Boise State did it last year, but everyone knows Oklahoma was the better team which is why the Broncos went for a 2-pt conversion to win it. That was the most exciting game I've ever seen btw.

Ohio State's a 5 point underdog. I like that fact. Hope you N. Lions beat up on A&M!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State's a 5 point underdog. I like that fact. Hope you N. Lions beat up on A&M!

i'm just happy it's our last year with morelli ;). Penn State shut out the Aggies 24-0 in the 1999 Alamo Bowl. Aggies have a new coach just for this game. If morelli plays like he did last year again Tenn, the game will be in the bag - however he is as consistent as oil prices. We just need to give him time in the pocket and THROW the ball. Aggies defense against the pass is horrible this year, and Williams is a weapon as an open-field runner, but he is given far too few opportunities to showcase his skills.

Our defense should be good, it's all on the shoulders of Morelli - poor kid, every game rest on his shoulders this year - no wonder why hes making horrible decisions when the school puts so much pressure on him. That and hopefully our down right gangsta thug team can stay away from fights/stabbing/rapes until the bowl game is over. :lol:

brian

• 2 weeks later...
Good job Penn State! And M*ch*g*n for pulling an upset against my LEAST favorite team. The Big Ten's record (3-4) is making our critics look right in saying that we're down this year, but maybe not as much as they say. Hope Ohio State can give the BT an even record.

So uh, what happened to hawaii last night, did they even show up to the same state where the game was being played?:rolleyes: I didn't see the game i saw the score. I guess they weren't as good as their record made everything think they were.

So uh, what happened to hawaii last night, did they even show up to the same state where the game was being played?:rolleyes: I didn't see the game i saw the score. I guess they weren't as good as their record made everything they were.
It was ugly. Hawaii had a bunch of penalties, a bunch of turnovers, and didn't move the ball consistently on the ground or passing. Georgia moved the ball on the ground and with passing, and their defense severely limited Hawaii's gain-after-catch.

The USC / Illinois game (USC 49 Illinois 17), also looked like a mismatch. The Auburn Clemson game was close, but the Florida / Michigan was the best to watch.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

GO BIG TEN!

too bad illi didn't bring their A-game. the big ten needs ALOT of bowl wins to shut up it's critics. I'm glad michigan won, puts the SEC back in check with the big ten.

now it's all up to Ohio State - i'm sick of hearing "they are too slow to compete" - good luck to the buckeyes!!!!!!

brian

Did you see the article in WSJ on Ohio State athletics?

At $109,382,222 for the current year, Ohio State's athletic budget is the largest in the nation and the biggest in the history of college sports. It allows the school to field 36 varsity teams in everything from baseball and soccer to riflery and synchronized swimming. The school spends about $110,000 on each of its 980 athletes, which is triple the amount the university spends per undergraduate on education.

OSU's athletic budget, which has grown 46% in five years, has expanded despite a prolonged downturn in the Ohio economy and several rounds of public-funding cuts to higher education. The state's median household income fell 9.3% between 2000 and 2005, one of the worst declines for any state during that span....The state is home to two of the five poorest cities in America -- Cleveland and Cincinnati, both of which had more than 25% of residents living below the poverty line in 2006, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Ohio has been ravaged by the struggling U.S. auto industry and the forces of globalization. From 2000 to 2006, the state lost about 200,000 manufacturing jobs and added just 40,000 new positions to offset the decline.

I like to watch these semi-pro teams, college names on the jerseys or not!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So uh, what happened to hawaii last night, did they even show up to the same state where the game was being played?:rolleyes: I didn't see the game i saw the score. I guess they weren't as good as their record made everything think they were.

This was to be expected, though maybe not to this degree. Hawaii had a cake-walk schedule as they always do. Sucks to be in a non-BCS conference, but you gotta play someone. Some say this about my Buckeyes, but whatever. We'll see how it goes against LSU. I think it's a toss up, personally.

And yeah, the Illinois/USC game wasn't expected to be close at all (14 point spread) though again the turnout was even worse than predicted.

Funny how MANY of the lower tier games turn out to be GREAT, CLOSE games (at least 3 were determined by a last minute field goal!). I heard they usually go this way w/ the BCS bowls being less interesting.

I think Va Tech will blow out KU tonight.

Did you see the article in WSJ on Ohio State athletics?

I like to watch these semi-pro teams, college names on the jerseys or not!

Yep, we have the largest revenue of any college athletic program in the nation. However, I don't like the quote that OSU spends ~$100,000 per athlete. That money goes towards coaches, equipment, facilities, expenses. I would guess only a small percent goes to the student athletes, mostly in the form of their education,room, and board. As an Ohio State student, why would I expect to get even close to what a football player gets from the university? The stars make a whole lotta people a whole lotta money. For their efforts and accomplishments they make very very little money. That is, of course, the way it should be for students though.

Once again, I was greatly surprised by another BCS game w/ KU beating Va Tech in the Orange Bowl. The Sugar Bowl is the only BCS bowl that didn't surprise me- knew Hawaii couldn't play w/ the big boys. In the Rose, I thought Illinois would keep it close. In the Fiesta, I thought Oklahoma would take out WVU w/ its defense.

Archived