LegacyGT.com

[Review] KW Coilovers, Variant 2

Legacy_Otaku

Hi All,

I want to preface this review by stating that I’m not a “suspension expert” by any means. :)

KW Coilovers, Variant 2 – Review

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_Products/20_KW_Coilovers/20_Variant_2/index.php

I purchased a new set of KW Coilovers, Variant 2 about half a year ago, and have put over 15,000 miles on them. I wanted to get a really good feel for them before writing a review.

What I was looking for in a Coilover was the ability to adjust Ride Height, as well as adjust Rebound Damper, to give me flexibility between daily driving, spirited canyon runs, and track days. The most important factor for me was to find a Coilover that had Ride Comfort in mind, that wouldn’t end up ruining my Legacy’s daily driving experience, while still adjustable enough to turn it into a “track worthy” car, and allow a fun track run in the process. After much deliberation and research, I went with the KW Coilovers, and I couldn’t be happier! :)

After installing the KW’s, the difference was immediate, and forgive the cliché (but it’s so true), the difference was night and day. The car was much more stable in high speed turns, body roll was reduced, and overall, it just felt a lot more fun to drive because of the increased responsiveness. :)

The vendor I purchased it from – Boostjunkie – helped me adjust the Rebound Damper to a nice “daily driving” setting, where there was a slight change in Ride Comfort (a little more “stiff” / “sporty” than stock), but the benefits far outweighed that slight change. After a few days, I didn’t even notice the ride comfort change any more. It’s made my daily driving experience that much more fun (the Legacy GT itself has been a blast ;), and when I took the Legacy out to a track event (and adjusted the Rebound Damper), it held up amazingly! I let one of the veteran Race Instructors take my Legacy for a spin on the track and he complimented me on the setup!

The KW Coilovers, Variant 2 come with 7k/7k springs, and adjusting the Rebound Damper couldn’t be easier. There are multiple LegacyGT FAQ’s stickied in this very sub-forum that offer sage advice: If you’re just daily driving and only want to adjust the height of your car, go with Springs/Struts replacement. However, if you want the adjustability of ride height, and how “sporty” your Legacy feels (for a weekend “canyon run” or “spirited drive” or just track days), I highly recommend the KW Coilovers, Variant 2.

I purchased my KW’s from a LegacyGT.com Vendor – Boostjunkie (Paul) – and the whole buying experience was easy and painless! Boostjunkie had a great price, offered great advice, and even offers an Install Service for local customers. Paul installed my KW Coilovers in just a little over 1 hour, quick and easy! :)

Boostjunkie summed it up best when he said, “it feels like a sporty BMW,” and having driven a couple BMW 3-series over the years, I’d have to agree.

Overall: Highly recommended!

(Special thanks to Xenonk, Snodork, and Boostjunkie for advice and helping a newbie out with all my questions! ;))

will be joining you in KW land in awhile. good review.

in your opinion if the stock bodyroll was 8/10 what is bodyroll with the KW like?

Hi Lawl,

If by "stock bodyroll was 8/10," you mean that "10" is the worst / Max Body Roll you could have, hm..., I'd say it easily reduced it down to ~5 or so.

It's pretty subjective as well, and I think depending on how much you lower the car, that'll affect things as well (lower center of gravity).

Let me know how it goes w/ your install. :)

i really liked my kw's on my 05 lgt, light years ahead of a pink spring+oem strut. I will say that the ride was just a tad aggressive. it definitely rides hard/firm, which is excellent for spirited driving, however it removed some pleasantry's. I am now thoroughly enjoying my oem bilsteins (spec b) + pink springs, excellent ride but not quite as firm as the kw's.

I also purchased my KW's from Boostjunkie... I installed them about three months ago. I love these things so much better than the Tein Super Streets I had on my old car. I have them set back 5 clicks from the hardest all around. I love the ride and holy sh!t this car can turn.

Also, I took my car to a local Subie tuner shop here (friends of Cobb) to do my corner balancing. They were expecting Teins before it went on the lift then they saw the pink and yellow and new exactly what they were. They were very impressed to see KWs on a Legacy.

+1 for Boostjunkie and the KW's! I've had mine on for about four weeks now, and just completed the long drive from Detroit to SoCal: the KW's are simply awesome: silky smooth cruising on the interstate plus tightly controlled and perfectly balanced in the mountain twisties.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

+1 for Boostjunkie and the KW's! I've had mine on for about four weeks now, and just completed the long drive from Detroit to SoCal: the KW's are simply awesome: silky smooth cruising on the interstate plus tightly controlled and perfectly balanced in the mountain twisties.

:whore::whore:

• 9 months later...

OK - Boostjunkie - you seem the be the Coil-Over-Master.

I just ordered an 09 LGT - (still waiting on delivery)....

The KW V2s - seem (for the price) to be the best coilover for daily driving. I looked at several spring/strut combos - but the further I read the more I hear about butt sag, spacers, etc. I think for the extra coin being able to adjust the ride (rather than messing with cutting springs (EK!), trying different struts, or screwing with spacers and hats) is the way to go.

So can you shoot me a PM so I can discuss the purchase and/or options?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Question for you KW Variant 2 owners:

I have KW Variant 2s and Cobb front & rear sway bars, which were all installed at the same time. The ride is harsher than I've read it is with stock sway bars.

I'm deciding between:

1. Go back to a stock front bar and buy a 20mm JDM rear bar, or
  2. Keep my Cobbs.

I would really like your help.

Currently, body roll is very little at turn-in, and then holds there all through a turn.

If I go back to a stock front sway bar and get a 20mm JDM rear bar, do you guys know how body roll and ride quality will be impacted?

Also, do you know what this might do to oversteer?

Hopefully some inferences can be made since most people will have both stock sway bars.

Personal experiences will also be very much appreciated. THANKS!!!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...
i have kw's and cobb sways. When i had just the rear sway bar installed it was a good amount of oversteer. I would imagine that switching to a jdm rear sway will give you some oversteer, but i think the increase in body roll would be significant.

That's what I'm afraid of. Thanks for the feedback!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived