LegacyGT.com

GT 08 owners What R we going to do about R ugly A$$ wood trim?

ripsweetness

Is it just me or is it the ugliest Plastic/wood trim you have ever seen? I have thought of painting it myself maybe black to match the rest of the interior or a black gold color to match my rims, but with it being a brand new car with less than 300 miles on it I wouldn't settle for anything less than perfect on the finish of it. So I don't think I could meet my own standard:rolleyes:. Anybody else thinking about tackling this project or have other ideas besides painting it?

I have the plastic wood thing in my '06 ABP with taupe interior. I don't think it looks bad with the taupe interior but I don't know why Subaru would put it in the interior with black seats in '08 MY.

I think I've seen some members that have painted the wood color trim silver or dark grey like the trim with the black interior on the '05 & '06 MY.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I have a 04 with the silver grey plastic inserts.

I work for a boat builder and am working on a carbon fibre look. Yes I know - very "rice boy" and tacky. What I'm working on is a nice subtle effect. There is a fine weave-carbon that we used to make a scale model of a yacht. I'm hoping that it will look black at first glance until you look real close and see the weave. Also trying to figure out a final coat that doesn't just look like gallons of clear coat over the top, and it has to be durable.

If it comes out looking like I'm planning, it will be pretty neat. Hope to have a photo in the next week or so . . stay tuned.

I found a place a whilke back that does screen printing and was gonna have all my woodgrain stuff sanded primered and then dipped in a different finish, since thats pretty much all they are now, I didnt feel bad about doing it and considered it to be a more factory design than "sticky paper" wood or carbonfiber overlays. But I didn't do it because I could not buy the small halfmoon shaped peices on each door by the handle and was not about to break my door panels to get them off.

in short if you want to change it, all you can really do is get a sticky kit because of those 4 trim peices on the door panels.. unless they changed the design later on.. its part of the door panels.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I found a place a whilke back that does screen printing and was gonna have all my woodgrain stuff sanded primered and then dipped in a different finish, since thats pretty much all they are now, I didnt feel bad about doing it and considered it to be a more factory design than "sticky paper" wood or carbonfiber overlays. But I didn't do it because I could not buy the small halfmoon shaped peices on each door by the handle and was not about to break my door panels to get them off.

in short if you want to change it, all you can really do is get a sticky kit because of those 4 trim peices on the door panels.. unless they changed the design later on.. its part of the door panels.

I will have to take a panel off to check but your probably right. If there still all one piece I will break... I mean modify them off and re-attach with an epoxy or something. I cant live with that wood trim blinding me everytime I get in the car:lol:

hrmm, you find a way to do it lemme know, I'm still interested lol, I just lost interest cos it was too much work. I cant even remember the website that did it or I'd link you, but I'm 90% sure it was called screen printing or something like that.. basically they melt a textured template into a vat of.. something.. and magnetically charge the item and dip it, the texture floating on top attaches to the object thats dipped much like chroming.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

thats full circle.. you can buy sticky paper all day long, but do you really want to put sticky paper trim over your stock trim thats gonna peel off in the summer heat 3 years from now making the trim look bad underneath? imo its not good for resale.. and maybe I'm wrong, maybe that stuff sticks forever, but I know when I see sticky paper trim in a car, I look for another selection.

I did some reasearch on the door panel thing when I 1st started this, I HAD a complete list of part #s for the radio trim, shifter knob, everything I needed to re-do but the door panel peices I couldn't find a part # for. From looking at pictures from audio installs (never got a GOOD picture of tbe backside of a door panel on here) it looked like the peices were almost hotglued into the door panel..so theoretically.. if you take your door panel off you can probablly get to them and get them off, but if you break them or cant get them back in, then you need to buy a whole new door panel.. not to mention removing the door panels in our cars have been known to be especially a PITA. Anyone doing an audio install and care to snap pics of the backside of the door panels?

I agree that sometime the sticky paper looks cheap etcetera, but if you take a look at some of the quality kits out there, you'll see that some of it is really good quality. Good luck with your endeavor anyway, but see if you can get a look at some quality products before you rule stuff out.

Planning on pulling mine all off and having it painted the same color as the car. Should hold up for years, and blend nicely with the interior. I'm worried about the door panel pieces now though, my installer said it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone ripped them off yet?

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived