LegacyGT.com

Anyone use mobile 1 for NA?? non turbos.

I had my car switched to mobile 1 5w-30.

Was wondering if anyone else has done it. Could I go for more miles between oil changes? Like 5-6k miles or more? Heard you can go 10k with those on some cars....

I saw the post about mobile 1 thing..but it was all turbo owners. So lets hear some NA owners.

I have used synthetic in our NA '02 Outback since new...now has 76,000 miles. I use 5w30 (what the manual suggests) and change it every 3,000 miles. It doesn't matter what oil you use, the change interval is set by the car manufacturer, not the maker of the oil or someone on the Intraweb.
It is still ugly.

Walmart was having a Mobil 1 sale this weekend and I needed 3 quarts to add to the 2 quarts of Penzzoil Platinum I already have so I bought some and did my oil change. I only buy Mobil 1 if it is cheaper than PP but its a good oil ;) I bought the truck/suv formula 5W30. I use the 5k oil change interval. Also ,this time I am trying out the PureOne filter for the first time after having used nothing but OEM ones in the past, I was unable to catch the dealership part department, so i'll see how the PureOne does :)

We use Mobil I in the 06 Subaru H6 (35K miles), a Chevy van, a Honda Accord V6, and a Nissan Quest. And my motorcycle. We run dino in a Mazda MPV and another Honda Accord V6.

The Chevy has an oil life sensor so often goes 9,000 plus before change. Everything else is changed at 7500 per the manufacturers recommendation. We usually use PureOne filters.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

planning to switch to mobile 1 syn after 12k miles. then change at every 5k. 3k is an overkill, especially with syn. have used mobile 1 syn in a Sentra, Accord, and RSX, they've been all running fine. ;)

So, I'm wasting my money...at least I am not paying someone else to do it for me. Changng oil frequently is cheap insurance for long engine life. Beats running the engine out of oil like some asshats around here do because they are too effin lazy to open the hood.
It is still ugly.

no hard feelings, but as long as you're conscious to check your oil level frequently (at least every fuel up), synthetics can run more than 3000 miles between changes. A lot of people don't like that, and it gives them a sense of peace having 3000 mile OCI's. Synthetics are pretty high grade stuff, much better in most cases than dino's; I've done a 10,000 OCI, and found that the limiting factor here is not the oil, but the filter.

I switched to synthetics (Mobil1) at around 11,000 or so. I do like to let the engine experience the full range of RPMS; I guess that's the reason I chose synthetic.

I'm doing ~4,000 mile OCI's now, based on my driving situation, which is mostly city. Again, it's relative to every person's situation.

I deal with temps of 95+ in the summer, -20 in the winter and short trips (my drive to work is 5.2 miles). This makes me fall into the severe service category. I'm sticking with my short OCIs...why chance having an issue when under warranty or when the repair is on my dime after warranty. We keep our cars to 150,000+ miles. Anything I can do to prolong the engine's life at a reasonable cost makes sense to me.
It is still ugly.

I have 5 vehicles currently, all N/A (:(). The Legacy will hit 1000 miles on the way home today, so it's still on whatever Subaru put in there to start with. The 67 Mustang convertible hasn't had an oil change since I bought it either, and it'll get an engine swap before it does - but both of those will be running Mobil 1 5W-30 after the break-in period. The rest are already running it, on 5k OCIs with Mobil 1 filters.

The 1998 Mustang Cobra has had it since 35k and is at 43k now.

The 2003 Sport Trac got it from the beginning at 5k, and is up to 77k.

The 1998 Ranger got it from 36k on, and is still going strong at 215k.

Yeah, I'm a Ford guy. :cool: I've seen the difference at tear-down between engines with synthetic and conventional oils, and since I'm in all my vehicles for the long haul, it's worth it to me to pay the extra for the synthetic + good filters.

pillboy, I am jealous about your commute. My commute is 45 milles each way.

How often do you change your oil? Not mileage wise but time wise.

I did some simple math and 52 weeks in a year, 5 days a week and 10 miles round trip to work make it 52 * 5 * 10 = 2600 miles. How many miles do you drive in a year?

Krzys

PS If I followed 3K oil changes I would need 52*5*90=23400 -> 24000/3000 = 8 oil changes a year. With 7.5K OCI I do 3.

Yeah, I'm a Ford guy. :cool:

and you're driving a Subaru now? :lol:

I am using Mobil 1 since Oil Change #3 done at 2000 kms.

you changed your oil 3 times in 1200 miles? is it too fun to change oil or what? :p

I've been running mobil 1 in my forester for the past 57k miles. Outback will probably just get dino as changed at teh dealer unless I feel like taking my own oil in.

Supposedly Mobil1 has changed formula though... the other Mobil1 thread probably has some info on that.

But anyway, I switched to Castrol Syntec in the last oil change because it was on sale. Since running synthetic, I change the oil every 5k miles.

Been doing Mobil One synthetic since the third oil change. Usually do 6 months or ~5K miles. Used to not put that many miles on there, but am putting that or a bit more on every six months now. I do see that it does burn up rather quickly. Will be trying a diff. oil next time.

• 2 weeks later...
no offense, but threads like these help no one

fixed. valid question at first, and it was answered as valid as it can be. now it is another useless oil debate. a quick glance of any m1 thread will show other 2.5i owners who use m1 with regular and extended oci's. I am getting a new impreza 2.5i this week, it will have regular oci's and probably run m1 5w30 after the second change, but that information is useful to no one but myself.

Normally i would have just skipped over this thread, but as I will be in the same situation very soon I was curious as to what others were saying, i'm not going to waste time going back, but I think maybe 2 or 3 posts were valid and on topic, then it quickly turned to a f- this stupid oil thread and thus my "helpless" reply.

Normally i would have just skipped over this thread, but as I will be in the same situation very soon I was curious as to what others were saying, i'm not going to waste time going back, but I think maybe 2 or 3 posts were valid and on topic, then it quickly turned to a f- this stupid oil thread and thus my "helpless" reply.

Why did you have to post again instead of using the edit button?

Archived