LegacyGT.com

Is premium required in a LGT?

Do i have to put premium in if i buy a LGT or can i get away with regular?

Will regular cause engine damage or just not put out as many horses?

Thanks guys

im no pro but...

i dont get it sometimes...turbo owners find ways to reduce power, non turbo owners find ways to increase power.

why not just trade?

Do i have to put premium in if i buy a LGT or can i get away with regular?

Will regular cause engine damage or just not put out as many horses?

Thanks guys

Premium is $.20 more a gallon. If you drained your tank bone dry and filled it up it would cost $3.71 more a fill up than if you used regular. If you can't afford less than $4 a fill up... you need to be in a 2.5i

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And to add to what Red Beast said, be mindful that if you do end up putting lower grade gas in your car, you have to be careful not to accelerate hard. You also need to be careful about accelerating in 4th and 5th gear in general. Have to drive very easily.

There ARE risks of knocking when running a lower grade, so it really isn't worth the chance unless you're in a pinch.

I noticed at least 3 dealers that use Reg. in all their cars :(

Poor brand new engines being subjected to that. And of course the dealers tell you "Test out that power"

My car was Full of gas when I picked it up

All regular grade :( As soon as i put 93 in it, it drove soo much better

hope nothing happened happened to it with the reg.

Plugs were all fouled up but other than that i think its fine

The ECU will retard the timing as best it can to compensate for the lower octane fuel. Prolonged use of lower octane fuel or driving hard on the same low octane fuel results in predetonation (which is pinging). Keep it up and you can burn out your engine. Not a good thing!

I filled up from empty with 89 octane on a road trip last month by accident. I just kept it out of boost till I used it up. It didn't cause any damage but I wouldn't do it on purpose or on a regular basis.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I've heard the debate many times in many different forums. I've also gotten into this discussion at the Audi training center whne the instructor told us a story. He had to take a at the time new RS6 to ST. Louis for RS6 triaining. On the way down there he decided to do a little experiment and put 87 in it. No major ill effects happened other then his mpg went down, and almost no real performance difference. Don't get me wrong, if the car isn't really advanced (variable valve timing) and such the computer can adjust itself usually enough to cover the fact of the garbage gas you put in.

I still do put in 93 just because it improves my fuel mileage and if or when I nedd max performance its still there and I don't have to worry about causing engine damage due to poor fuel.

What a lot of people are also forgeting is where you get your gas can make a difference too. If you get some off name brand gas you'll be getting a mixture of a lot of different brand gases and some may not even be the same grade. Some where there is a list of gas manufacturers in which they list the ones that are considered tier one (being the best). I know Shell is a tier one gas.

Shell is a tier one gas.

a shell station here in Mukilteo used to stall my old protege 5. the other gas stations were fine.

i had a chevron up in south center close the gaps on my plugs on a different car. they were brand new.

in the turbo the butt dyno can tell a difference. i stick to the chevron here in mukilteo. i'm sure i can feel a bottle of fuel system cleaner. some gas just doesnt have that "snap" is all i can think of on how to explain it.

Archived