LegacyGT.com

Pinks on my LGT Wagon

Wraith

Since things were a little slow this morning at the shop I work part time at, I decided to have my Pinks installed on my '05 GT Limited Wagon 5MT. I had intended to wait 'til I had my summer tires back on, but..eh... All my reviews are based on my car running on its winter set-up: 205/50 Dunlop Winter M3 (H-rated) on the stock rims...and my 1/2 hour ride home on highway and a few back roads.

First, it's been said before, but I'll say again...big thanks to Myles for bringing these in and to he and Keefe for testing them. If you don't have the patience to read my review, here are the Cliff Notes...buy them...buy them...buy them...nuff said :D

So...the drop was just over an inch at the front and about 1-inch at the rear. The car looks great...not slammed but not so little that you don't notice. Call it just right.

For the ride all I can say is WOW! Turn-in is much crisper and the car seems to hold its line better in a corner. Gone is much of the hesitation as the suspension loaded and un-loaded in transitions. The car is defiantly flatter in a corner. The feeling thru the seat and wheel is great...you can feel the road, but it is not tiresome or harsh. I actually think the car rides much better now than w/ the stock springs. This is how the car should have come from the factory.

Overall having owned/driven a number of European sporting cars...I would say the comparison between the ride of a Legy w/ Pinks and a European car with a "sport package" is a good one. The car feels buttoned down, tighter, and more responsive without any negatives that I can see...except that I didn't do this sooner.

btw...sorry about the pictures...better ones to follow...

Brian

pinks_front.jpg.f891006e9d37a7e17657218f5917c289.jpg

pinks_rear.jpg.9b7d6409078a7973d70c5f186a16055d.jpg

pinks_side.jpg.2bb36159c28a4b91f0802776cd664bc2.jpg

[quote name='Jonny Bradtmueller']Noticed you have a bike rack. What kind of bike do you ride ? Road or Mountain ? I'm 34 years old and have been doing some sort of racing since I was in the fifth grade. Nothing better.:lol: Well you know what I mean :lol:[/QUOTE] I actually ride both road and mountain. Used to race mountain bikes and ran a small shop at a resort for a little while. The racks are from your part of the world...Rocky Mounts...been using them since I lived in Boulder :) Brian

Car looks great! Pinks will definitely be the next big change on my wagon. We have a pair of MTBs and a pair of road bikes (three Cannonwhales and one K2) - I just installed a Thule 440 rack.....rather tried to install it. The rear of the factory rails sit closer than they do at the front and the Thule bar is too wide to sit all the way to the rear of the car. I think I can fix it with a die grinder or Dremel....open up the channel in the rear Thule bar so that the rail feet can slide closer in to let the bar sit to the far back. Just seems stupid that they didn't do this from the start, as this kit was supposedly developed for the new Subarus - called the 'Subaru Specialty Rack'. Did you have any issues getting your rack to work?

I have used Yakima products over the past 15 years currently using EZ Riders with 58" bars that I cut down a little so I can use two mounts on the outside and one in the middle. I have only used fork mounts being they are much, much stronger. Current bikes in the house--Titus titanium road bike, Foes FXC full suspension mountain bike, Specialized S-Works cross bike, Kelly single speed 29er mountain bike and my wife has a Klein Palomino full suspension mountain bike and we just ordered a Seven custom road bike -that was her wedding present- We just got married in July. :lol: :lol:

Patagonian...no real issues...I have the Suby bars on it...didn't feel like fabricating something for this car, like I did on my last one :) In the end I am going to go the approach you talked about and rip into some xtra Thule bars I have lying around because I need a wide rack to hold all my junk. Jonny...congrats on the marriage...hard to believe it'll be 3 years for me in Feb. Currently have an old MB-4 Bridgestone Mnt. and a Specialized S-works that I custom built-up. Road duties handled by a Trek 5200 these days...though I don't ride or climb near as much as I used to :(

Hey, hey! Cyclists! :D gtguy is a hammerhead, and Brad21 is a coach for Wenzel. :D Ok, back on topic.... thanks for posting Wraith! Sounds awesome... I wish I could order these things on the car from the factory. Back OT... how do you like the Dunlop WS-M3's?? Any comments?

[quote name='racerdave']Ok, back on topic.... thanks for posting Wraith! Sounds awesome... I wish I could order these things on the car from the factory.[/QUOTE] Yep a nice factory option with the Pinks, the Spec B Bilsteins and a 20mm rear bar would be my perfect street set-up :D [quote name='racerdave']Back OT... how do you like the Dunlop WS-M3's?? Any comments?[/QUOTE] Well...we really have only had rain and cold sun since I installed. I actually think they feel better in the dry than the RE92s. I was really impressed w/ the Dunlop Graspics I had on my last GT and my 2.5RS before that, so I feel confident they'll go in the white stuff. Brian

Hey Wrath, Thanx for the Pinkl review. Definatly on my list of things to get. Do you think the Pinks increase road noise any? How long did it take you to install them? I have been mountain biking since 1984, and even owned a Mountain Bike Magazine in Europe and organized 4 UCI MTB World Cup events. Love them so much, that is why I got a wagon - so I could fit 2 bikes in the back!!! Roof Rack ?!?!?!? Hahahahahaha!!!! Love bikes, hate bugs!! Girl friend loves the Chins too.

[quote name='Wraith']Since things were a little slow this morning at the shop I work part time at, I decided to have my Pinks installed on my '05 GT Limited Wagon 5MT. I had intended to wait 'til I had my summer tires back on, but..eh... All my reviews are based on my car running on its winter set-up: 205/50 Dunlop Winter M3 (H-rated) on the stock rims...and my 1/2 hour ride home on highway and a few back roads. First, it's been said before, but I'll say again...big thanks to Myles for bringing these in and to he and Keefe for testing them. If you don't have the patience to read my review, here are the Cliff Notes...buy them...buy them...buy them...nuff said :D So...the drop was just over an inch at the front and about 1-inch at the rear. The car looks great...not slammed but not so little that you don't notice. Call it just right. For the ride all I can say is WOW! Turn-in is much crisper and the car seems to hold its line better in a corner. Gone is much of the hesitation as the suspension loaded and un-loaded in transitions. The car is defiantly flatter in a corner. The feeling thru the seat and wheel is great...you can feel the road, but it is not tiresome or harsh. I actually think the car rides much better now than w/ the stock springs. This is how the car should have come from the factory. Overall having owned/driven a number of European sporting cars...I would say the comparison between the ride of a Legy w/ Pinks and a European car with a "sport package" is a good one. The car feels buttoned down, tighter, and more responsive without any negatives that I can see...except that I didn't do this sooner. btw...sorry about the pictures...better ones to follow... Brian[/QUOTE] Brian, glad this worked out fine for you and all the other people who bought them. If my wife loves em' ,. I know you guys would also. Myles

[quote name='iyamdman'] Do you think the Pinks increase road noise any? How long did it take you to install them? [/QUOTE] I have never really been one to notice road noise...my stereo is too loud :D I would bet that they didn't add too much, plus its tough to judge as I have snows on and they are louder than any spring change. For time...I had one of the mechs in the shop I work at do it. I believe it books out to a 4hr job. Brian

Archived