LegacyGT.com

Clutch on it's way out???

LawGT

I was pulling out of my drive way this morning in first gear and there was this crazy slip/hessitation/shudder (or whatever else it's called) when I released the clutch normally (at about 1500 rpms). It felt like the clutch was grabbing but then releasing in short bursts... like da, da, da, da... and then it finally grabbed. It did it the next couple of times I had to move from a standstill. Later when the car warmed up (after a few minutes) it did not seem to do it.

My LGT is a 2005 (bought in April 2005) 99% stock (has dif tires, but otherwise stock) and has 14K miles. Never raced. I drive the car mostly on weekends and occasionally to work (I work downtown Chicago). It does see city traffic, but geez, new clutch at 14K miles?

So, two Questions:

1) is my clutch dying? (I searched and saw some posts re "glazing"...is "glazing = dying?)

2) is it covered under the 3 year, 36K bumper to bumper warranty?

thanks!

1 - the true test is if it slips at highway speeds in 4th and 5th - I'd bet that what you experienced is due to the dampness of the recent weather, the clutch gets wet too.

2. If it fails and the dealer doesn't try to say you caused the problem then it is covered, sometimes the coverage is easy, sometimes it requires litigation.

That is what happened to mine, I have 40k though. Smae here I don't race it but the squealing that started a while back was my first sign. Yes it would be covered as a one time fix. You could call Subaru USA on it if the dealership gives you any trouble.

1 - the true test is if it slips at highway speeds in 4th and 5th - I'd bet that what you experienced is due to the dampness of the recent weather, the clutch gets wet too.

2. If it fails and the dealer doesn't try to say you caused the problem then it is covered, sometimes the coverage is easy, sometimes it requires litigation.

I have not had the chance to take her on the hwy. I'll try that tonight and see if it slips. I'll call the dealer to let them know. I'm in need for an oil change anyways and was going to get the tranny flushed and new fluid put in (they want like 180 for that, but I thought it may be worth it bec i'm having some issues with going into 3rd gear). Wait, if the clutch is replaced, do they also replace the tranny fuid?

"sometimes it requires litigation" = :lol:;)

thanks

If you glazed it then it should return to normal after it cools down. :confused:

maybee I didn't glaze it since it did it in the morning cold, and I did not drive the car hard the day prior (or any day for that matter). Ill have to see if it does it tonight when I leave work.

thanks

I have not had the chance to take her on the hwy. I'll try that tonight and see if it slips. I'll call the dealer to let them know. I'm in need for an oil change anyways and was going to get the tranny flushed and new fluid put in (they want like 180 for that, but I thought it may be worth it bec i'm having some issues with going into 3rd gear). Wait, if the clutch is replaced, do they also replace the tranny fuid?

"sometimes it requires litigation" = :lol:;)

thanks

To change the clutch you need to drop the tranny, so you'll need new fluids, yes.

Don't be too pessimistric though, try the 5th gear at 2,500rpm test first.

To change the clutch you need to drop the tranny, so you'll need new fluids, yes.

Don't be too pessimistric though, try the 5th gear at 2,500rpm test first.

new fluids, that makes sense.. thanks. yes, I'm not too mechanically inclined ;

At low miles I once thought my clutch was going out, but I realized the hook that holds my floor mat had dissapeared and my floor mat was all wedged under the clutch making it impossible to put the peddle down all the way for the clutch to fully engage and disengage. :lol:

At low miles I once thought my clutch was going out, but I realized the hook that holds my floor mat had dissapeared and my floor mat was all wedged under the clutch making it impossible to put the peddle down all the way for the clutch to fully engage and disengage. :lol:

Ha! that is definitely not my situation. I'll know more tonight when I drive her in the hwy

Since a little slippage incident the other night; my clutch has been a little flakey from a dead stop too. I feel the clunky, bouncy, grindy thing right when the pedal is like 25% out and the clutch is hitting the flywheel. Then I feel it again about half way out. I get it in first, second and reverse from a dead stop(just testing if it was a gear and not clutch). No slippage what so ever while in gear and no problems shifting while moving. I've got a new Spec Stage2 clutch pack sitting here on the counter, but I'm now wondering if I should just get a new flywheel too.

Should I have the stock flywheel turned or put in a lightweight alluminum one?

Let's kick this pig!

I found out where my shake is coming from. My Perrin TMIC sits real close to the cap on the clutch master cylinder and I think it was making contact when the engine rocked on take off. I put some washers on the drivers side braket and it went away.
Let's kick this pig!

^ did you mount the bracket above or below the rubber washer on the IC? I forgot to take note of that. When I bolted everthing up i put the bracket on the underside. After looking at some stock pics that seems to be the correct location. If you mounted it on top it could be pushing the IC down in that area.

I put it on the underside. I bent it up just a hair and put the extra washers between the IC and the bracket so it should help hold the IC up a bit. I also trimmed and re-installed the engine shroud today too. It seems to be better now. I'm still going to do the clutch here shortly anyway. It might have one more good test-n-tune track night on it, but that's about it. :redface:
Let's kick this pig!

Ok, so I drove it last night. No chatter upon take off in 1st gear. I also drove it in 4th anf 5th in the hwy, I could not feel anything out of the ordinary. There were some minor "sutters" while floring it in 4th, but I could not tell if it was the clutch slipping or just the open loop/closed loop stutter.

What am I supposed to be looking for in the 4th and 5th gear tests?

thanks

Mine holds fine after it engages and it never slips, but it won't grab off the line sometimes. If I'm on a hill and I give it a little too much gas it just spins up to redline. It still holds fine from 2K-5K RPMs WOT in 4th and 2K-Lightspeed in 5th. I haven't been intentionally hard on it over the years though but I still think my pressure plate was just weak from day one.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived