LegacyGT.com

any1 make larger radiator for our car?

you could always order a custom one by Spearco I think.. they make intercooler cores and i think they make radiator cores as well. Another company you may have to look up is Koyo of Japan and see if you can import one over. IF you want the bling, look up ARC and see if they have anything.
Keefe

When I said STi radiators, I didn't mean OEM ones (although the core on the OEM STi radiator is about twice as thick as ours). I was saying that upgraded radiators intended for the STi fit our cars. You only need to move over the top hold-downs a couple inches each and drill and tap new holes for them on the core support. A very simple operation and much cheaper and easier than doing something silly like importing one for Japan.

• 1 year later...
When I said STi radiators, I didn't mean OEM ones (although the core on the OEM STi radiator is about twice as thick as ours). I was saying that upgraded radiators intended for the STi fit our cars. You only need to move over the top hold-downs a couple inches each and drill and tap new holes for them on the core support. A very simple operation and much cheaper and easier than doing something silly like importing one for Japan.

What about using Legacy Gt's stock fan set up with a STI radiator, will they bolt right up?

• 1 month later...

misimoto makes some very nice radiators.

oh and what I learned yesterday, the 08 STI radiators are slightly different from previous years, so would require the top hose to be from an 08. previous years are about an inch or so too short.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 7 years later...

I have a similar query as to the OP. Anyone uprate the Outback XT wagon radiator capacity? Our Outback XT gets caught in the high-noon of summer, sometimes in slow moving traffic with the attendant loss of cooling; the air-con turns off to focus all cooling capacity to the engine etc.. A greater volume "Flow Rated" radiator in the XT's cooling circuit would go a long way to assist those times when the XT is "at the margin". Such as 100F + ambient temps and climbing up Colorado's I-70 interstate highway with its 11 mile, 8% grade approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel; Summit approx. 11,000ft elevation, 100F, uber sunny, etc..

It seems our (ordered new) MY05 Outback XT 2.5 turbo 4cyl lacks sufficient cooling system headroom. The automatic's (5EAT gearbox) OE transmission cooler within the radiators lower tank was bypassed to a external stand alone Hayden trans cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser/H2O radiator assembly years ago.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Any Legacy GT up-rated radiator will work.

I have the KoyoRad HyperV radiator, I think it has an extra gallon or so from the OEM radiator. http://www.koyoradracing.com/news.asp?id=58

Mishimoto makes two versions I think. One that fits and on that is super thick and might or might not fit.

Most aftermarket / thicker radiators require trimming of the upper and lower coolant hoses so they don't contact the fans / get the bends right.

That being said, I haven't noticed it actually helping with dissipating extra heat in the conditions you describe. I still have to turn of AC when the traffic is too slow moving. I seem to be one of the few though. Most people don't have heat issues like I do.

KillerB has said that all after-market radiators are ineffective and there response was to release a radiator costing $1000 more.

http://www.killerbmotorsport.net/engine-bay/cooling-13/killer-b-motorsport-radiator.html

Archived