LegacyGT.com

19" rims and tires in NYC

whitetiger

Anyone here running 19" rims and tires and driving in NYC? I would like to hear about your experiances. I have a chance to buy a set of cheap 19x8 SSR comp-h and tires. So people, especaily with coilovers and 19" rims, please chim in and give me your opinion.

I have to agree with jersey glock.

i have 18x8's and dropped on springs/struts. its not bad, but you hear rubbing when you go over ditches and bumps. i think it sucks though for me at least, since both my car and wheels are pretty new, both have less than 3000 miles and when i hear the tires getting chewed and the fenders getting rubbed, it gives me chills

i guess the worse part ever for me was when i crossed the gwbridge to get onto FDR south.. those off ramps are dangerous with all those bumps, ridges, and metal slabs to cover meteor sized potholes.

thats the reason i take lincoln tunnel now to get the city. even if it takes longer.. i rather not mess up my rims and tires.

i know, i drive that ramp every day. and the one going down from the east bound crossbronx to the southbound deagan is even worse. Its just that tirerack i selling ssrs for hella cheap and i could get a set of forgd 19" rims for 2200, which is amazing. *sigh* I guess 18" is the biggest i should go. I wish i lived in florida.

haha yeah. why do you think i didn't go for 19's either..

i woulda jumped all over the BBS RSGT's that were on sale at a local tire shop. they had the 19's for $2500 with toyo t1-S tires but i backed off last second because i remember what happened to me when i had my acura TL 2 years ago. i bent my gram lights and screwed up the lip when the tires bubbled.

2000 dollars down the drain. and then i went for cheap OEM replacement rims and tire set afterwards because i went broke from that set.

so now im running 18x8 to stay safe, but even then, i feel uneasy every time i see a dip or bump on the road.

Sigh... I love the the look of 19's as well and want them bad. I'm scared.

The 18's on my Shrek are Ok. No problems to speak of really even lowered. No rubbing, not on speedbumps ramps or anything else. I'd say you're pretty safe with 18's on a day to day basis.

The only issue I had was months ago with a sidewall blowout going over an un-filled ConEd ass-phalt cutout late at night - ugh!!!

I'd also really like to hear experiences of peeps running around NYC with 19's.

:spin:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Going 18" made the ride much rougher than going with bilsteins. 18" looks nicer but 17" rides better.

How much does the type of tire matter?

:whore:

IMHO 19" on LGT in NYC and you are just asking for trouble.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Speaking from actually living there, Forget about having rims with lips in the city unless you live in the suburb. The pot holes and occasional uneven roads will scrape and bend weak rims. If you have the higher end forged wheels...maybe. I owned a neon with rims and by the end of the year..one of them was so bad the rim actually tore. I am not a maniac driver this was just day to day commuting. And once you think you know where ALL the pot holes are...there will be another one that will happen in the winter. It is just not worth it. ESPECIALLY if they have machined lips.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Archived