LegacyGT.com

Moving to Tucson, AZ - Advice?

jazzymt

Hey guys...

Looks like a new job will be drawing me down to the Tucson area very, very soon. Being from a NW mountain climate & state w/no emissions requirements - any things I should know about or think of transitioning into the new area, new climate, etc?

General advice on selling/buying houses, moving, temporary health insurance, etc. is also plenty welcome... thanks.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Well ... I haven't been down to Tucson that much, but ... the heat can be a killer during the summer time. Temperatures tend to be a bit cooler than Phx. We do have emission requirements here, I believe its 5 years from the year of your car. I don't know how Tucson does their emissions testing, but here in PHX, the dyno's are 2 wheel dyno's. So they can't do dyno tests of your car. So they just check your gas cap and the ECU for fault codes. (At least that's how it was in 2002 when I had my 97 accord being tested). So in that case, you should fly with flying colors :)

almost all az gas stations have 91 octane, although there are a few spread out with 92 or 93 octane, and even a few with 101

Ok .. tell me where this mythical "92 or 93 octane" reside??? I don't think we have any stations here that carry that stuff.

Yes, to answer your question, we have the California craptastic blend here in AZ as well (91 oct).

"But it's dry heat so it's not so bad":lol:

So is my oven. :D

Make sure you check your A/C before you go.

Seriously though, I love AZ- sure, it may be hot during the summer, but every other month of the year is sooo nice- sunny, no humidity. We kid about the dry heat, but you will see- 96 has never felt so cool.

So is my oven. :D...96 has never felt so cool.

Ya, here in the midwest it been 100F with 85%-95% humidity for the last month. They say the "feels like" temp is around 115F-120F. Everything is damp all the time and I feel like and look like a sweaty Coke can everytime I walk outside.

Let's kick this pig!

Don't do it. Quit your job. Lower AZ is a hell hole.
??

It is what you make of it... I'll probably end up getting a house with some land west of the city where my wife can keep her horses. The temps really aren't much hotter than the summers up here in MT (we usually get at least a month of 100+ temps) & at least the whole state isn't on fire for 2-3 months out of the year. I look outside my window right now and all I can see is smoke from horizon to horizon. It's very different landscape/vegitation than up here, but I think I can find a lot of things to like about it too...

My question about emissions being answered - I was looking for a lot more advice on moving, buying & selling a house at the same time, maybe a good realtor in the area, etc.?

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

My question about emissions being answered - I was looking for a lot more advice on moving, buying & selling a house at the same time, maybe a good realtor in the area, etc.?

Shoot me a PM if you'd like. I am an Arizona Native and work for a local branch of a well known lender. I can give you some referrals if you'd like.

• 3 weeks later...
Learn Spanish, Tucson is Mexico Norte. Get ready for ONE freeway. Tucson is a college town that got too big for itself IMHO, but if you like the whole southwestern living style it can't be beat. Big spaces, big desert sky, the whole shmear. And the wild west history (if youre in to that) of southern Arizona is pretty cool. If you're looking for land, I'm sure you wont have trouble finding that, just get a big dog to warn you when the coyote is running illegals across your land.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I just moved to Denver from Tucson so I can answer your question.

Since your car is not 4 (or 5) year-old, you don't need to take the emission test, don't worry about it.

During the summer, it's hot but you can go through that and there are heaven in fall and winter.

You can buy big ranch in the east side and west side and I can give you several phone numbers of real estate agent if you want.

Tucson is home of Univ. of Arizona Wildcat. There are Raytheon, IBM, TI, and many small companies.

Only bad thing now is the freeway construction. I-10 goes through the city and it's under construction for adding lanes and it just started and will last 5 years. So, if you buy your house in west side and work in the downtown area, it is going to be 'not good.'

If you like golf, Tucson is new home of Accenture Match Play and you can see Tiger and Phil. If you like College basket ball, UA basket ball team is good to follow.

Should you have any more question, PM me.

Jay

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

Archived