LegacyGT.com

LGT and Wrangler owners

A long time ago, I posted about LGT and miata owners. Well now I'm asking about LGT and Wrangler owners. :spin:

Just doing some more digging to a fun weekend vehicle to compliment the ol' LGT. Lot more beach driving locations in MA, and a lot more class 4 unimproved trails in VT and other areas up north than I had thought.

So, that brings me to being interested in a Jeep TJ (97-06). Anybody have one on the boards?

I've driven I6 CJs and a 4-cylinder TJ before. Thinking I6 and a 5-speed manual with hardtop, locking diff and 30" tires. Come summer, off go the doors and just go with a bimini top.

Don't have a TJ but have been looking off and on at them. I think it's gonna be my mid-life crisis at this point :lol:. My very first "car" was a 80 CJ-7 Renegade and I have so many fond memories of that thing that I know I need another. Just watch the short wheelbase. I had mine up on two wheels twice.......of coarse I was young and stupid at the time too:lol: :redface:. I have heard that the 4.0 is pretty much bulletproof and haven't heard bad stories about the 5 speeds either. The TJ would be a phenomenal beach machine. It just such an awesome feeling of freedom driving around with no top and doors, especially at the beach.

Was looking today in fact and spotted a nice 01 black Sahara with 84K for $12K, ....hhmmmmm :spin:

Why not try the Jeep boards for the real 411?

Had a white 98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara back in 98. Nice ride, but I'm just not a as much of a convertable person as I was when I was a teenager so I got rid of it. I do however have a 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 5 speed with a Skyjacker 3" Lift, 31" tires and about $11,000 worth of other parts on it including a $3K roof to frame rail spray on bedliner paint job . It's at 220,000 miles and still kicking. The original tranny took a harder beating than my LGT does. I just changed it out at 215K miles when the second gear synchro finally gave out completely. This thing is tougher than nails and has never left me stranded anywhere ever. The first motor even lasted another 20K after the radiator blew a seam and I drove it over 10 miles on a hot day with no water to get it home. At 178K miles I replaced the engine with a brand new crate motor after it spun the "oil slinger"($.50 crank shaft washer) off the keyway and sent metal shavings through the motor. It still ran but was getting a little weak anyway. The 4.0L inline 6 cylinder is bullet proof.

We took the LGT and the Jeep on a 10 hour road trip to SteamBoat Springs CO. and thrashed the Jeep with every intention of leaving it stuck somewhere in the Rockies with a note saying "if you can tow it you can take it", but it never got stuck and never broke anything so I had to drive it 10 hours back home. I even have some video somewhere of us getting airborn while trying to dodge a wicked lightening storm(our vehicle being the only metal on the mountain) while descending from 12,000 feet to 8,000 feet over some rough terrain in just a few minutes. :lol:

I have nothing but praise for the Jeeps. Out of 38 vehicles that I have owned; my Cherokee is the one I have owner the longest at almost 8 years and counting. If you get a new one; I think they come with the lifetime powertrain warranty.;)

Let's kick this pig!

I had the offroad pkg with Dana 44 and 30" tires. I never came across something offroad where I had more courage than the Jeep had capability. The only mods I did to it where painting the headlight rings, Hella H4 conversion and better BA speakers.

Archived