LegacyGT.com

2008 WRX on the dyno at PDXTuning

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torque on this dyno plot hits at 2600 RPM. Stall spee for our 5EAT is 3100-3500. I would imagine the WRX auto is probably ower than that. That puts that torque peak at the right spot.

And for those TQ numbers the HP numbers are a bit low...which would go with an auto tranny.

I still think this dyno plot looks funny. Especially if that car is supposed to be stock

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

They did not change the power rating on the 07 STi, but it definately makes more power. I hope the new motor makes even more power, as I will most likely buy one when it hits the streets. We just wanted to get a jump on the new style so we picked up this WRX hatch to carry us through.

I believe you can bolt the new heads on, but we have not tried it yet. We actually tried to buy an 07 short block to see the differences but we could not get it in the timeline we needed so we shelved that plan.

Jarrad

well, from what jerry and dale (our techs) have said and been trained on, the 07 sti is quite different from previous years. they've beefed up a lot of internals, both the turbo and tranny gears, etc. got to see an 05 sti tranny dissected and Jerry pointed out to me the weak points in the gearing, assured me the 07 has a few extra goodies to help prevent some of the gear stripping. not that it can't happen, but it's less likely than on prev model STI's. now the new STI's will be interesting to see what they've done. i also understand the new 08 Spec B 6MT, although based from the STI platform is also dummied down from the actual STI tranny. can't remember all the parts and pieces that are different, but Jerry is waiting to have more details before the 08 STI arrives.. so i can make sure that's the route I'll be going next. (i'm quite positive).

so, we're all anxiously awaiting your findings on both the WRX and the upcoming new 08 STI. :) you know you're always welcome back!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Torque on this dyno plot hits at 2600 RPM. Stall spee for our 5EAT is 3100-3500. I would imagine the WRX auto is probably ower than that. That puts that torque peak at the right spot.

And for those TQ numbers the HP numbers are a bit low...which would go with an auto tranny.

I still think this dyno plot looks funny. Especially if that car is supposed to be stock

Are you familiar with auto dyno plots. There would be a huge hump right before stall speed, not a flat torque curve.

That's not an auto dyno plot.

More than likely, the 2600 rpm is due to:

1. 2.5 liter longblock with turbo smaller than VF39

2. 4th gear pull (maybe)

Peak HP has nothing to do with peak torque. Peak hp just tells you what the torque is at 5250 rpm.

We are still working on not curbing wheels. Once she masters that we will go back to manual transmissions!

We mastered wheel curbing about 4 years ago.

I actually got her to detail the minivan last spring, she did a good job too.

Since you brought it up....

How is the FJ?????

Getting the wifey a new behicle to replace the Landbruiser.....she finally realised she doesn't need such a large SUV.

As far as curbing goes........you have NO idea:(:(:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Its weird that despite the fact that the wrx keeps getting more and more unofficial power (06 added ~33whp and 60wtrq from 05) and (08 similar numbers but wider powerband and higher trq).

Why do the perf numbers suck? I mean sure 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 14.3 @ 94 is ok but WTF? Is it just poor tires, suspension and gearing?

I know some ppl on nastycock have supossedly gotten 06 TRs to do high 13 1/4s but who knows.

Something is deffinately off. The performance is on par with last year yet it is making loads more torque and hp?

Jarrad were you able to drive it much before tuning? Did it feel that much stronger than the '07? The suspension could be really soft but still?

Peace,

Greg

I drove it all of 150 miles before it hit the dyno. Since I am out of town this week I have not even driven it since the tune. It feels strong, and it definatley comes on sooner than I recall the 06/07 coming on. We are going to try and get Perrin's cars over to the dyno and do additional testing with those cars. Until another shop gets one of these on a dyno we have nothing to compare against. We do know that they turbo is different, the question is how is it different.

welll... don't see it in the line up..so that's a no
Well, the base 08 WRX slots in between the 07 WRX TR and 07 WRX sedan, pricewise. It's about $380 more than the TR, but also a bit less stripped-down (still doesn't have the fog lights, 6-disc changer, aero kit, does have auto climate, VDC, side curtains, tilt/telescoping steering wheel...).

Archived