LegacyGT.com

Possible Relocation to New Hampshire

Ferenczy33

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't live in NH, I live in MA, but since I'm native to California (L.A.) I'll throw my 2 cents in.

When I first moved to New England (not by choice) a few years ago I HATED it. Hated the small roads, thought the people were kind of snotty, everything was just... different.

Moved to Seattle after a couple of years, LOVED it there, didn't want to leave but wound up relocating back to MA, again not by choice, just about 3 years ago.

Now, well, I don't LOVE New England... but I'll take it over CA any day. I might.. just might.. take it over Seattle too, since while I once hated driving here, I now find it exciting. :D Both speeding tickets I've gotten in my life were in WA, the second one being when I flew back there in April on business. I'm about to head out there again at the end of the month and won't be driving since I didn't pay that ticket (ooops). :p

This is just a way better place to raise kids than California, too. Don't know about the schools in NH, but a lot of the schools here in MA are 1000% better than the schools I went to in LA.

And I like the seasons... the novelty of snow hasn't worn off, I guess.

Good luck with your decision. :)

-Coelli

Maybe I missed in your previous post whether you were a NH native or not? If not, where from?

When and where did you say you've lived yourself in MA? Just wondering, as to me "talking out of your ass" would be never having actually lived there.

I've lived in Amherst, Hampton, Nashua, and Portsmouth so I have some first hand experience in the Live Tax Free or Die state. We also rent 5,000 sf of office space, employ 8 NH residents, and have three company cars plated there. I bought my last Subaru at Manchester Subaru, who offered much better prices than Wakefield, Ira or Planet (actually Planet wouldn't give me a price).

I live in NH, Seacoast. I've lived in Nashua, Merrimack, Manchester, Portsmouth and now Dover.

Talking out your ass comment has nothing to do with living somewhere. I can tell you all about Iraq... I never lived there:p

I do however commute to Mass every day. I work in 150 High schools across

the state with a large majority being in the Metro Boston area.

I can tell you that the disparity between the schools is horrendous at best.

How does Cambridge Ringe and Latin have 1 million dollar a year culinary budget when Billerica has a 500,000 a year English budget? again it leads back to poor managment and government spending.

And no... NO ONE beats Manchester Subarus prices.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

So, I take it you are not a NH native?

If MA is so execrable, why in the world do you work in the state, and pay state income tax there? Surely you must be able to get a similar job in NH?

As far as school funding, I'm sure you are aware of the inequities in NH, how do you think it should be funded in future?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So, I take it you are not a NH native?

If MA is so execrable, why in the world do you work in the state, and pay state income tax there? Surely you must be able to get a similar job in NH?

again , you're assuming...

I am a NH native. I was born in Portland ME, moved to NH when I was 2 and lived the next 25 years here. (with the exception 4 years in the military where I claimed NH as home)

I work in the state of NH. My office is in Dover, NH.

I don't pay income tax, because NH doesn't have one. I travel to MA to teach classes and recruit.

Why? because I do a job that no other MA college wants to do. I chose MA!! i could have had NH or ME.

I chose MA because I can make a difference in the life of lower class students (which MA has a lot of)

To me... there is no better satisfaction then seeing a student at my school that just 6 months earlier had no plans to even graduate from high school in MA.

That is my drug, that is my high!:cool:

As far as school funding, I'm sure you are aware of the inequities in NH, how do you think it should be funded in future?

It's a lose lose situation.... No child left behind is a joke and no state will change school funding to a state wide process. :mad:

ESPECIALLY MA :lol:

This poor guy/iwfe is looking to move to a small rural area with a 150k salary. I think he will do fine in NH.

Way too much banter....

I agree and I Apologize to the original Poster.

On that note, I see that you are looking up north? The lakes region is absolutley Beautiful.

Just steer clear of the touristy spots and you will love it!:)

No touristy areas for us. Right now looking around the north west area of NH along the VT border. Thanks for all the words of wisdon, I will keep you all updated.

In addition to the Hanover/ West Leb area and New London, if you're going up the border check out places like Lyme and Orford.

In the south Central area, Peterborough has more cultural amenities than most. The "Lakes Region" is likewise a little more sophisticated, as is

You can find basic community info at http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm

If you have young children, find out whether the town has kindergarten or not. NH is one of the few states without mandatory kindergarten, and some towns charge for it, others have half day only, and some have no provision at all.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The Keene are is nice too. Just be wary that it is a college area.

Agreed very much and your very near Brattleboro, VT which offers so much when you need to escape the rural life and want some culture.

go to www.findyourspot.com and it will help you out a ton I bet. i did before i graduated college and was amazed on some of the things it came back with, needless to say, i'm living in and loving one of the areas it came back with

that's awesome!!!

I was already thinking about moving to Charleston SC.

Now I'm def gonna!:)

Agreed very much and your very near Brattleboro, VT which offers so much when you need to escape the rural life and want some culture.

My sister just moved to Brattleboro. She said she read something about public nudity being accepted and practiced around town. I guess the locals like to hang out in the nude and nobody cares. She's only been there a few weeks and she said she hasn't seen any....

My sister just moved to Brattleboro. She said she read something about public nudity being accepted and practiced around town. I guess the locals like to hang out in the nude and nobody cares. She's only been there a few weeks and she said she hasn't seen any....

you're refrencing the incident that occured this past spring.

Basically there is no law about being nude in public in the state, or town so high school kids we're walking around naked.:spin::lol::spin:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/02/ap/strange/mainD8JSVAQ80.shtml

go to www.findyourspot.com and it will help you out a ton I bet. i did before i graduated college and was amazed on some of the things it came back with, needless to say, i'm living in and loving one of the areas it came back with

That's interesting. Mine came back:

Boston, MA

Hartford, CT

Providence, RI

New Haven, CT

Worcester, MA

and Carlisle, PA?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived