LegacyGT.com

question on borla headers

tnice17

should they be wrapped? is my main question. is it better to wrap them than not to. i have searched all last night and found mixed ideas about them. any one here have them? what do you like about them besides the sound? i have a 2000 LGTwith CAI and catback already.

dont take this the wrong way boxergt2.5 but i have seen alot of replies from you about YOUR experience with borla headers. i have been reading alot of reviews and out of, lets say 300 only 5 people that i have seen, including you are having problems with borla headers.

It's never a matter of "If" they are going to crack (headers in general), it's "when". I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you wrap them, they won't replace them when they do. It was the first question I was ask, "Where they wrapped?". Just an FYI.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

i am getting them next week so no they are not wrapped. i just have seen that they are really close to the oil filter and wondering is wrapping was the way to go. since you have had 3 pairs is there anything i should look out for? breaking them in? stuff like that. any precautions i should take?

Don't get the borlas IMO...

Get the borla replicas on ebay. Better design, and build quality, more importantly, cheaper.

Made for the Impreza, but check to see if they will fit your car, much better deal then the authentic borlas, IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-IMPREZA-GD8-02-05-ALL-2-5L-2-5RS-2-5-RS-HEADER_W0QQitemZ200133678187QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33583QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have a bad track record, as do most headers, for TURBO Subarus. ON a NA car they do not have the same problems.

ok so let me get this straight. borla TURBO headers are junk but the NA (my car -2000 LGT) headers are alot better. if i just baby the car and a few WOT should i be alight? you said on the track they are bad but thats when you pound the car. am i correct?

i already ordered the borla but i still dont understand why everyone doesnt like them. and how would the ebay replica headers be better.

304 expands a lot when heated. you need some way to allow the pipes to flex if you want long term durability (flex section, slip joints etc.) this is extra applicable with our headers given the long span of pipe from the driver to passenger side.

I thermal coated my headers and proceeded to observe the line where the coating ends at a slip joint during heating and cooling. believe me, the pipes expand a lot... much more than I'd be comfortable without some sort of slip joint.

consider the fact that the stock cross pipe has a section to allow the expansion strains to be taken up + the stock pipe is mild (expands much less), not 304.

Get the borla replicas on ebay. Better design, and build quality, more importantly, cheaper.

Do yourself a favor, and get the replicas. Send the real ones back...

See this thread among many others on rs25.com

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59964&highlight=borla+replicas

Edit: for NA applications, you can't beat the replicas... don't know jack about borla turbo headers...

Send them back if they are still unused.

No big deal, but IMHO the replicas are a much better deal. I've done all the research, just trying to share the knowledge.

The replicas are $200 cheaper for better quality, but no warrenty. I could understand the desire for a warrenty, but if you ever try to exercise the Borla million mile warrenty, you won't have headers for 3-6 weeks processing, and they might deny your claim for any number of reasons anyway. My $0.02.

I had the Borla on my WRX for almost two years, and yes I ran it hard, and never had a problem. I was running Stage 2, and then some, and never had so much as a leak. Now, if it was gonna crack shortly after I sold it, I dont know, but for the 2 years I owned it, it was a great piece.

I had the Borla on my WRX for almost two years, and yes I ran it hard, and never had a problem. I was running Stage 2, and then some, and never had so much as a leak. Now, if it was gonna crack shortly after I sold it, I dont know, but for the 2 years I owned it, it was a great piece.

well if your headers can stand up against a turbo and how hard you said that you ran with them. i am pretty confident that my 2.5 borla headers will hold up fine.

anyone interested in pics when i install them. i am getting them tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

Archived