LegacyGT.com

Where's the bottom? Subaru Sales for July

rao

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/Newsroom/ViewAttachment.aspx?SiteName=Subaru&Entity=PRAsset&AttachmentType=F&EntityID=104294&AttachmentID=eef858fb-5049-4741-a668-490b6491065d

It isn't pretty.

Total sales down 18% for the month and 8% for the year :eek:

The Tribeca picked up a 4% increase over July last year, but is still down 24% for the year (which was off of sales that completely missed their target).

Legacy down 24%, Impreza down 7% and Forester down 18% for the month over last year.

Ouch.

Two thoughts:

1. People are awaiting deals on '07s or the arrival of '08s.

2. People like Subarus but can't get over the fact that the options they would like in their next car come with too many strings (e.g. Nav only available with AT, where's my Bluetooth?, Do you have a model with more 'elbow room'?)

After driving my LGT for 2 years (this being my 3rd Subie), I still am amazed at how Subaru underestimates and undervalues the needs/wants of the modern american consumer. Not every Subie buyer will want a 300+hp sports sedan, but WOW! How about a OEM accessory catalog with real performance upgrades, styling accessories, convenience/comfort items?

It would have been nice to option out my LGT with Bilsteins, springs, sways and 18" wheels with maybe.....how about the Macintosh audio system?? and a choice in spoilers and grilles? How about ECU tuning with a BB turbo and a FMIC (especially with mfg warranty coverage) would be worth the extra $$. SOA left a lot of money on the table by ignoring the potential income from the upgrades.

BMW learned through the success of Dinan and M-sports, Mazda learned...Ford learned...MOPAR learned... go to any of their parts counters and order your hearts desire in high performance (albeit more expensive than other vendors, but available).

The parts and accessories already exist in other markets. Some parts, granted, are market specific (body kits).

What is in the Legacy SPT catalog? decals, emblems, a shifter, pedal sets, floor mats, blah, blah, blah!

the consumers are smarter and more informed......

most search engines will bring them right to posts like this where we , the 'informed owners', tell the good and the bad.

What has SOA done to answer any of the challenges they face in the market? Dropped the B9 from Tribeca and changed the Grille patterns again.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we will see a OEM BB turbo or OEM VF40 style turbo with higher flow rates closer to an AVO 380/420 when the new STI is released.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Second that! As I've said in previous posts I'm quite fond of the specific aspects of my LGT but Subaru ha to pull their head out of the sand. I mean only an auto down window for the passenger side? I love to compare VW's features, my wife has the 2006 Jetta GLI and its got awesome clotch seats (I had to get leather to get the moonroof; stupidity!), steering wheel controls, auto up and down on all windows, central locking system, HID's, DIRECT INJECTION and most of all to me is a 6 speed manual and the build quality, my LGT had more squeeks and rattles after a week than the GLI has after 14 months. We paid $23 for the GLI! On highway trips we get 35+ highway and in city we get high 20's! Please Subaru wake up!

Shawn

Second that! As I've said in previous posts I'm quite fond of the specific aspects of my LGT but Subaru ha to pull their head out of the sand. I mean only an auto down window for the passenger side? I love to compare VW's features, my wife has the 2006 Jetta GLI and its got awesome clotch seats (I had to get leather to get the moonroof; stupidity!), steering wheel controls, auto up and down on all windows, central locking system, HID's, DIRECT INJECTION and most of all to me is a 6 speed manual and the build quality, my LGT had more squeeks and rattles after a week than the GLI has after 14 months. We paid $23 for the GLI! On highway trips we get 35+ highway and in city we get high 20's! Please Subaru wake up!

Shawn

Jetta is rated as compact whereas the Legacy is rated as mid-size. you're comparing apples to oranges. plus VW reliability vs. Subaru reliability...no comment needed there. :rolleyes:

Jetta is rated as compact whereas the Legacy is rated as mid-size. you're comparing apples to oranges. plus VW reliability vs. Subaru reliability...no comment needed there. :rolleyes:

Incorrect sir, the Legacy is a compact, If I can find the post claiming this I will post it, but here's the gist. The Legacy has 104-105 cu.ft. of interior space. To class as a compact car it has to be 100-109 cu.ft. Thus why the Legacy IS a compact car, just with a huge body :spin:

Like I said, I'm going to find this post...

Incorrect sir, the Legacy is a compact, If I can find the post claiming this I will post it, but here's the gist. The Legacy has 104-105 cu.ft. of interior space. To class as a compact car it has to be 100-109 cu.ft. Thus why the Legacy IS a compact car, just with a huge body :spin:

Like I said, I'm going to find this post...

an internet forum post=some dude's opinion.

but i guess the folks at edmunds (search for mid-size, then subaru) are as ignorant as me then. either way, i think subaru makes the legacy to compete with accord and camry, but not civic and corolla.

That's the point, every down-market (apple or orange) car has significantly better features, options and interior build quality. Why does a smaller lower priced car have everything the Legacy should have and for less. If VW was smart enough to bring its 4Motion to the US in the Golf/Jetta Subaru would have some major problems! Yes the MKIV VW's had issues, I had two but our MKV GLI has been pretty much flawless.

Shawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_size_class

"Compact Car - 100-109.9cu.ft"

^ This link is straight from wikipedia on the car size classifications

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html

"EPA Interior volume 93.1cf "

"EPA Cargo volume 11.4cf "

^ This link straight from cars101, making a total of 104.5 total cu.ft. which classifies the Legacy, under the wikipedia specificaitons, as a COMPACT.

Thank you I rest my case :-) However, because of the "cultural" class of the car, it is "considered" a mid-size. But is it 1 by technicality? NO

YAY!

Zac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_size_class

"Compact Car - 100-109.9cu.ft"

^ This link is straight from wikipedia on the car size classifications

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html

"EPA Interior volume 93.1cf "

"EPA Cargo volume 11.4cf "

^ This link straight from cars101, making a total of 104.5 total cu.ft. which classifies the Legacy, under the wikipedia specificaitons, as a COMPACT.

Well, if its in Wikipedia it must be true!!! :p:lol::p

relax, it's summer. people don't think of AWD awesomeness in summer. wait til winter when they see 3 inches of snow.

Plz provide sales numbers for AUDIs to prove that. Most Audis sold are Quattro. By ur rationale their sales must have taken a significant dive as well.

Plz provide sales numbers for AUDIs to prove that. Most Audis sold are Quattro. By ur rationale their sales must have taken a significant dive as well.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, all OEMs except Nissan saw a decline in sales last month.

I love to compare VW's features, my wife has the 2006 Jetta GLI and its got awesome clotch seats (I had to get leather to get the moonroof; stupidity!), steering wheel controls, auto up and down on all windows, central locking system, HID's, DIRECT INJECTION and most of all to me is a 6 speed manual and the build quality, my LGT had more squeeks and rattles after a week than the GLI has after 14 months. We paid $23 for the GLI! On highway trips we get 35+ highway and in city we get high 20's! Please Subaru wake up!

Shawn

I agree with you whole heartedly about the features (lack thereof)....however one question does come to mind...

How many miles on ur GLI and how many dealer trips for things going wrong ?

If push comes to shove...i'll take a subie with less features but better reliability over a car with more features and lousy reliability.

Thank you I rest my case :-) However, because of the "cultural" class of the car, it is "considered" a mid-size. But is it 1 by technicality? NO

Shhhh. Most people don't know that it isn't a mid-size. And mine is 7 inches longer than my dad's compact 330xi.

Archived