LegacyGT.com

2008 Impreza Review

mcumeda

I went to a local Subaru dealer to see the new Impreza/WRX in person. These sentences from the canadian Driver review sum up my feeling:

"And its new look, while understated and somewhat generic, will please most buyers"

"The WRX, while powerful and fun to drive, seems to have lost its mojo a bit (or maybe other brands have found theirs). WRX fans may find the 2008 WRX a little tame even with the big hood scoop and nice wheels."

I agree: the car is exceedingly boring to look at. It wouldn't have cost more to make the car look good. Subaru has decided to go mainstream in the styling department.

No doubt the Legacy will follow in its next iteration, and will also sport a big smiling grille, like too many cars today. The girls, they like the smiling cars...

Let's remember that Nissan also tried this in previous generations of cars, and were rescued from the brink when Renault bought a chunk of the company and installed Carlos Ghosn. The subsequent turnaround at Nissan can in large part be attributed to better styling. But they are also captive of the smiling front end.

I just read the Car & Driver review of the 2008 WRX sedan last night. They weren't too pleased with the overall "mainstreaming" of the car. The new Impreza is actually larger inside (95 cubic feet of passenger space) than the Legacy sedan (94 cubic feet).

The hatch is starting to grow on me. Coincidentally, PDX and AVO both bought hatches.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/images/stories/07_news_images/08_imp_sideshot_mod01.jpg

I hope the STi is a hatch but with wider fenders and a better grill.

Someone on nabisco photochopped Paul's car and added wide fenders to it. Beefy.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/gusdizon/shirokuma.WB.jpg

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303390&page=9&highlight=2008+wrx

See.. now you just cursed us.. they'll read that and not do it.. gee.. thanks Mike! :lol:

I had said since 2004 that the black interior with blue inserts would look awesome in the Legacy - they did it in 2007, but it only came in manual :(. btw... it looked awesome, an in my opinion is the best looking interior the Legacy has ever had.

Someone on nabisco photochopped Paul's car and added wide fenders to it. Beefy.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/gusdizon/shirokuma.WB.jpg

The red tail lights should be mandatory. The black center bar is fine, but red-out would be cool, too. The chrome lights and center bar are not cool.

If there needs to be clear sections for reverse or amber turn, they should be smoke tinted, and the rest red.

The front still isn't right, and the framed windows are unfortunate.

The only good framed subaru windows were the SVX's...

Man the fuel economy #s got raped.

19 city, 24 hwy - MT

20 city, 25 hwy - 4EAT

Not understanding how the 4EAT is more efficient than the 5MT, but okay.

The fuel economy calculations changed for MY2008. For example, the 4EAT would actually be about 22/27 under the old rules.

Autoweek had a brief review of the WRX. No rear limited slip diff. Subaru gave them some BS that the vehicle stability program makes it unnecessary since it applies the brake to the slipping wheel on acceleration

If Subaru believes this, they're fools. The vehicle stability braking of the slipping wheel on acceleration reduces effective power to the wheels while the LSD simply distributes the available power to the correct wheels without reducing effective power to the wheels. The good choice is a rear LSD AND a stabilty program you can fully switch off.

Next time, Subaru, just be honest about the lack of rear diff and say you were trying to save on costs without the BS.

Lord, I hope the STi still has LSDs.

Archived