LegacyGT.com

Turbo or 3.0

I'm in the market for a new car. I'm currently driving an 02 WRB WRX 5-speed Wagon. I've had this car since 7/01 and it currently has 95K miles. I'm interested in the Legacy GT. I'm also looking at the Infinty G35X, VW Passat 3.6 4Motion or 2.0T, Audi A4 2.0T or 3.2, BMW 328XI, and maybe if all goes well a BMW 335XI.

My next will be an auto gearbox. I just don't enjoy driving stick as much as I used too. And I've driven nothing but stick since 1983.

On the legacy GT front the current stuttering thread about the 2.5 Turbo has me a little concerned. I'm curious if anyone here has driven both the Legacy 2.5 GT and the Legacy 3.0. How do they compare. Also most likely my car will remain stock. For a car that will probably remain stock with the auto grearbox would I better serve with 3.0 or the 2.5 Turbo.

Thanks.

Get the Turbo. There is NOTHING like the feel of the turbo gettin' into boost! That is if MPG is not a major concern. If it is, then the 3.0 should serve quite well.

I bought the '08 Spec-B moving from a '02 GTi 1.8T. So I am a bit of a turbo guy. The best advice I can give you is, go with what feels right, test drive what you can and go buy what makes you happy. I did, and have loved the Legacy since. (I have had it for 3 months now, and it is a superb car!) The butt meter is the best meter of all.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

My point is that most likely the car will remain stock. My 02 WRX wagon is stock and since I'm even older now i probably will not modify my next car. When the times come I'm going to have to test drive them both.

absolutely avoid the 3.0R like the plague. its a dog with fleas. unless you enjoy driving like grandma, you won't be satisfied.

take the GT for a test drive and you'll know within a mile that you've made the right decision.

absolutely avoid the 3.0R like the plague. its a dog with fleas. unless you enjoy driving like grandma, you won't be satisfied.

take the GT for a test drive and you'll know within a mile that you've made the right decision.

total bunch of crap

the newest 3.0r is just a slower lgt and it has no shudder with it's smoother engine.

not a bunch of crap that it puts out less than 160 whp.

we all witnessed it first hand on Yimi Sport's dyno.

cry about it all you want to........its a slow boat to china.

thats coming from a person who doesn't have one.

even with my "high" boat model i can keep up on the twisty back roads with lgt's

it's been proven twice.

also the only real differences betwen the two cars are the engine, no manual for the 3.0r, and slghtly differnt valving in the bilstiens shocks, other than that they are indentical.

stop giving people impression that the 3.0r is a "dud". :mad:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31674&highlight=3.0r+dyno

John said most Subaru turbo 2.5's have about 200 whp versus 170 for the H6, so despite the same 250hp max rating, the H6 generates 15% less whp. Very flat torque curve, though, which belies comments of many reviewers.

not too far off

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/animierte_gif_bilder_25.gif

i'm definitely not saying i would beat a lgt in a straight line.

each version has it's own mission.

if you want to relax, no engine mods, and still have some performance....get a 3.0r

if you want to do less modding and have a 6 speed manual ...get a spec b

if you want to mod a car or autox.....get the lgt

if you're not going anywhere fast and want better gas mileage..get a 2.5i

btw if you want to heavily mod a car you'll get more power out of the h-6, although you will spend more $/hp

OK I got it thanks for all the info. I will try them both. To be honest if it wasn't for the LGT's stuterring I wouldn't consider the 3.0. Hopefully a fix is coming. Otherwise if the 3.0 is not fast enough I'll buy something else. Although according to the people on the forums I particate in they all having somekind of problem.

Just for the record and a little OT on my thread:

Passat 3.6, lot's of engine failures

Passat 2.0T Fuel pumps

Audi 2.0T Fuel pumps,same engine

Audi 3.2 looks good nothing major

BMW 328XI look good nothing major

Infinity G35X go through brakes and rotors like water

That is all. I'll test drive them both. But overall I would really prefer the LGT minus the stuttering. Not the mention the Subies are less expensive than most of the cars on my list.

Thanks didn't mean to cause a heated discussion. But as long as it doesn't get perssonal it's all in good fun.:)

Archived