LegacyGT.com

Reducing Turbo Lag

I have a new 2008 Legacy GT. I could go on and on about how much I love this car, but I think you all know. I have never been one for doing lots of mods to my cars, but I almost can't help myself with this one. I've got the automatic tranny, so the turbo lag is particularly noticeable. What are the easiest and cheapest mods available for reducing the lag?

When you can get the 08's easily tuned (that would be n ot using Ecutek :) ) a tune will be able to reduce it some, but not materially and there is not much else you can do to reduce it materially other then getting a smaller turbo or increasing the displacement of the motor.

On the other hand, the lag is not all that bad.

As others have said, turbo lag is very minimal on the LGT.

Changing the throttle maps will change the perception of turbo lag. I know that the 2007 STi has some hesitation built into its oddball throttle maps. My guess is that the 2008 LGT has the same issue. With a tune, you'll improve the driveability of the car.

Also, manumatic shifting might help with driveability issues.

Do a quick search on a lightweight pulley upgrade. Won't change the turbo lag, but several members have said it makes enough difference in throttle response on the 5eat to be worth it. It's easy to do, and not that expensive as far as mods go...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I always thought that my catless uppipe helped spool, but maybe it was my catless downpipe. Either way when I went stage 2 it helped a good amount over stage 1. But I remember hearing something about the new LGT's coming with catless uppipes. Or maybe that was the STI... Well if its got a cat in it remove it. Especially the uppipe. They are pretty cheap too, just not very fun to install. Start reading up on stage 1 and 2's. Lots of people on here are at stage 2 and like me they love it.

Archived