LegacyGT.com

What's everyone keeping in the hidden foam trunk tray ?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. A bottle of NOS Racing octane booster(for roadtrips when you can only find 91 octane)

You don't need that stuff. The AKI ratings are calibrated for the area in which they are sold. 91 AKI, for instance, is sold in high altitude areas where lower air density reduces the knock threshold. Engine performance in those areas will be the same at 91 AKI as 93 (barring O2 density) will be in lower altitude regions. The manual states minium 91 because that's the lowest AKI premium fuel you'll see in Canada or the US and then primarily only at altitude.

Ditched the foam tray in favor of a full-size (225/45-17) spare, and I've got all kinds of stuff tucked in around the tire: jumper cables, tools, flashlight, AP, rags, 2 quarts of oil, etc. Tons of room back there.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

You don't need that stuff. The AKI ratings are calibrated for the area in which they are sold. 91 AKI, for instance, is sold in high altitude areas where lower air density reduces the knock threshold. Engine performance in those areas will be the same at 91 AKI as 93 (barring O2 density) will be in lower altitude regions. The manual states minium 91 because that's the lowest AKI premium fuel you'll see in Canada or the US and then primarily only at altitude.

You have never been to Newfoundland I take it. Many "service" stations, AKA the post office, hardware store, liquor store, market, marine parts store, video store, Sears Order Center and generally the what's new in town place, have only regular.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

The front license plate I told the dealer not to mount.:lol:

Haha... :lol: That's all I have in my trunk and getting ready for a roadtrip...I'll tell the cop that I'm waiting for the bracket. :D I plan on putting in jumper cables and a first aid kit to start out with though... and go from there. interesting thread.

That would be fine if I were anywhere near stock and running a stock map.;)

The maps that I run most of the time are all tuned for minimum 94 octane and I don't like the way my car runs on the Cobb StageII 91/93 maps; they are weak. Plus when you get out into the middle of nowhere Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri or South Dakota and hit a gas station in a town with a population of 500 you will be lucky to find Premium/91oct and will most likely be pumping 87oct or 89oct ethenol blend which will require some octane correction to run properly even in stock mode. As for knock; yes it does make a difference and my logs show it when I run 91 octane on my setup. My KC is 6-8 with 94oct and 2-4 at best with 91oct and I don't even want to know what it would be with regular 87oct or the 89oct eth. blend.

Thanks for the info.:)

Let's kick this pig!

^ If you have special needs because of modding then octane booster is part of the price you have to pay to play just as premium gas (minimum 91 AKI) is for an OEM 2.5T.

I would think it would be quite scary to run your set up on 87 in an emergency situation but I suppose if you had your AP with you could upload a different map until you found some adequate fuel.

^Ya it's generally not a problem here in Omaha since I have gas stations with 92, 100 and 110 octane within a few miles of my house. It's when I go on road trips to visit relatives or to see the sights or whatever and run low on gas in the boonies that it's a crap shoot as to what gas you can find. This is why I carry a bottle or two of the NOS Raceing Grade Octane Booster. It's good for a full 6 point increase not 6 tenths.

I'm have never complained and don't mind paying $35 for 12 gallon of BP/Amoco Ultimate 92 and $33 for 6 gallons of 100 octane unleaded to fill the tank. I don't do it on every tank, but most of the time. Otherwise, yes I do bring my AP with me and have the Cobb maps loaded just in case. the car runs fine on the Cobb maps, but it's just not as fun. And in the bigger picture the $10 bottle of NOS octane booster makes for a cheaper tank of gas than the race fuel does, but I don't like running all the other additives unles I have too.

Two bottles octane booster and my AP when not in use. This is what is always in my trunk and why it's there. Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated and yes modding has a high price tag attached to it if you want to do it right.;)

Let's kick this pig!

So far I have my manual and the legacy lettering. I took all but the 2.5GT and the Subaru logo off. Thanks to WhalesGarage for taking them off for me, lol.

who the hell needs someone else to take of the stupid badging??

• 3 weeks later...

Duct tape, poncho, t-shirt, small toolkit, quart of Mobil1 5W-30 (never leave home without it), tire guage, US Atlas, and 1 Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce MRE

I keep the first aid in the side pocket of the wagon so if I ever need it in an emergency I don't have to empty the trunk out

Archived