LegacyGT.com

Subaru to develop CVT ... umm what?

The question is weather it will be a belt or Extroid CVT. Nissan, makes both types of CVTs. Extroid handles high power much better and could be optioned on the Nissan Skyline 350GT.

The problem with an Extroid CVT is that they have not developed a tranny fluid that can handle the temperature extremes that face a North American vehicle.

IIRC last year Nissan showed off a supercharged Murano at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Its CVT was coping with the extra boost of power.

drive one to work everyday, then tell me it's fun , I don't suppose you get many snowmobiles in CA though :p

Swap the skis for some wheels, oh I think it would be a lot of fun. I'll definitely get to work much faster. Let see Polaris has one that makes 140 hp with a weight of 580 lbs. That's 4.14 lbs/hp. LGT is about 13 lbs/hp.

Swap the skis for some wheels, oh I think it would be a lot of fun. I'll definitely get to work much faster. Let see Polaris has one that makes 140 hp with a weight of 580 lbs. That's 4.14 lbs/hp. LGT is about 13 lbs/hp.

They race them at the local drag strip here, low 10's :eek:

In the winter I've seen them racing through downtown Montreal on the highway being chased by the cops, crazy people :lol:

Anyway, back to CVT's :spin:

I see nothing wrong with a CVT for the diesel engine. The whole purpose of adding the diesel was for economy. If Subaru is attempting to offer a more fuel efficient engine, there is nothing wrong with further increasing its efficiency with a CVT.

They don't have the capital budget to develop it on their own, so the logical partners are VW (Audi) or Nissan. If they can offer a CVT for less than a 5EAT through a joint venture with Nissan, more power to them.

It is ironic that so many turbo owners don't trust the reliability of a CVT. Many American consumers share the same distrust for anything with a turbo.

a friend of mine has one of those "cute", as she calls it, Nissan Versa w/ CVT.... uhmmm most boring drive of my life. granted it also has very limited HP it could still be more fun with a 5MT instead...

FWIW, CVT's keep the engine at the peak of the HP curve, not the torque curve. There's no reason a CVT couldn't be designed to handle the power of a V12 if you wanted to - it's just a matter of engineering (and probably materials).

There's a modified open wheel racer at our local SCCA meets that uses a snowmobile engine & tranny and that thing's pretty much the fastest thing on 4 wheels. He usually finsihes about 10 seconds ahead of everyone else on a 60 second track. He usually even beats the kart racers by a fair margin. There's no reason a CVT couldn't be fun & there's sure no reason it can't be fast...it's just different.

As far as the Impreza - I agree with the retard baby assessment, but Subaru's retards have a way of growing on ya. It's not so ugly (read:Tribeca) that I can't picture myself liking it in the long run. I just hope they don't screw up the Legacy/Outbacks - the new fatty chrome grille is a step in the *wrong* direction if you ask me...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Archived