75 members have voted

1. 1. Pick my Springs :)

• JDM GT Pinks AT
    • JDM Spec B specific Pinks
    • Provas
    • Swifts
    • Ions
    • Other

Look in the Legacy Photos forums for edkwon's thread. He has a Spec B with Swifts and the way the car sits is just the same as mine.

Hell look up any thread with swifts on a USDM Spec B and you'll see the same stance.

I really like that stance. When are you posting up a review with your setup?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm leaning towards the swifts because they are a great price and the marketplace is dry of pinks :/

Marketplace dry of Pinks? Sorry... my bad. :p I just picked up a set a few days ago from hobiechas. He shipped them today in fact! I'm really excited to try these out... I have a set of JDM GT Springs sitting on the shelf here. Was told they're a little stiffer than the USDM Spec.B springs, and I thought they'd be a good choice too but changed my mind and didn't want to take a chance with them. I'm looking at the Rev B or C JDM GT Struts. But I can't find many reviews of the GT Rev B struts and their comfort level. unclematt seems to think they're pretty close to the GT Rev A though.

Seems like there's nothing but positives about the Pinks so I'm paying the extra cash. I figure the progressive rate would improve ride quality even though the roads here in the Phoenix area are smooth as glass in 90% of the areas. Sorry to you east coasters!

It is very annoying that I cannot find out the exact spec's for the spec b specific pinks.

From searching threads that are as old as 2005 it seems that people that have used spec b pink springs have less of a drop than the regular pinks (5mt and AT)

This could be from either wear or design.

I do not want to put the spec b pinks on and then end up wanting more drop, but on the catch 22 side of things the ride may be better with slightly more ride height (and I would not have to worry as much about scrapping the car)

hmm what to do

I think they are.

Find a picture of Progress springs or iONs, then compare them to a picture of Swifts or Pinks. The former are progressive rate springs, the latter, linear. The difference (visually) is drastic and obvious.

now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

It is very annoying that I cannot find out the exact spec's for the spec b specific pinks.

From searching threads that are as old as 2005 it seems that people that have used spec b pink springs have less of a drop than the regular pinks (5mt and AT)

This could be from either wear or design.

I do not want to put the spec b pinks on and then end up wanting more drop, but on the catch 22 side of things the ride may be better with slightly more ride height (and I would not have to worry as much about scrapping the car)

hmm what to do

The published rates for all pinks are the same. There are 4 different variations available. The Spec b is heavier, so the spring should be longer than the GT version. Thus the drop is less. If rates are the same there should be NO difference in the ride. But if that is the case, you would bottom out on lower set up first. But the lower car would handle slightly better. Can't have everything...

There are LOTS of pictures around, but I am sure you have seen most of them.

Jeez VTGT, pick one already!:spin:

The published rates for all pinks are the same. There are 4 different variations available. The Spec b is heavier, so the spring should be longer than the GT version. Thus the drop is less. If rates are the same there should be NO difference in the ride. But if that is the case, you would bottom out on lower set up first. But the lower car would handle slightly better. Can't have everything...

There are LOTS of pictures around, but I am sure you have seen most of them.

Jeez VTGT, pick one already!:spin:

I'm waiting for some Pinks to hit the market place. There was a guy selling some spec b pinks, but one guy got dibs on them over me.

Do you think AT or 5mt pinks would give a level drop on a non-limited 5eat.

Don't know... AT is heavier than MT so AT pinks should be longer.... pm unclemat, he knows this stuff far better than just about anyone. I am guessing that he would tell you to go with the AT sedan pinks....

I am guessing again here, but since most of the additional weight on the AT is carried by the front wheels, the MT springs should lower the car more in front than in back.

But WTF do I know, I am speculating... :spin:

Don't know... AT is heavier than MT so AT pinks should be longer.... pm unclemat, he knows this stuff far better than just about anyone. I am guessing that he would tell you to go with the AT sedan pinks....

I am guessing again here, but since most of the additional weight on the AT is carried by the front wheels, the MT springs should lower the car more in front than in back.

But WTF do I know, I am speculating... :spin:

I have pmed him no response :(

I'm waiting for some Pinks to hit the market place. There was a guy selling some spec b pinks, but one guy got dibs on them over me.

I just received my GT AT pinks and plan on installing them in the next couple of weeks. Car is in the shop right now getting a new rear Diff (warrenty):mad:

I started a thread and it seemed very obvious to get the GT sedan AT pinks were the way to go.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64808

As for the pinks being progressive... I got that idea from a SubiWiki page. I looked at mine which just arrived and the fronts look similar to the regular stock springs in design, and the rear have that design wehre teh bottom three coils are much more closely spaced than the rest above. Is that a tell tale the they are progressive?

I also notice that the fronts pinks (supposedly GT AT versions) are about 1-1.5" shorter (just eyeballed this number) than the JDM GT sedan springs I also have. This was just when they were sitting side-by-side on the ground. I was really surprised by this!:eek: Rears were just about a half an inch or less different.

I figure given the different designs and spring rates that those JDM GT springs will just compress more and make up for most of the difference but I hope my drop isn't ridiculous or these pinks will be going back to the Member's Classified section! :rolleyes:

most springs have dead coils on them, just to prevent them from moving when the car jacked. In order to figure out if the springs are progressive or not you would need to figure out which of the coils are active and measure the spacing between them.

As for the pinks being progressive... I got that idea from a SubiWiki page. I looked at mine which just arrived and the fronts look similar to the regular stock springs in design, and the rear have that design wehre teh bottom three coils are much more closely spaced than the rest above. Is that a tell tale the they are progressive?

Yes.

As the spring compresses and the closely spaced coils contact each other, the total number of active coils decreases and the spring stiffens up.

Cool. So sounds like the backs are probably progressive but don't know about the fronts. I'd really have no idea of how to calculate which are active coils though. I tried using a spring rate calculator once to figure out what those JDM GT springs were and came out way outside of a reasonable number.

Here's a pic of the my new pink springs just to see what I'm talking about:

P7250277.JPG.e875c404b0842419a7e8c9c8cd5d67ac.JPG

Cool. So sounds like the backs are probably progressive but don't know about the fronts. I'd really have no idea of how to calculate which are active coils though. I tried using a spring rate calculator once to figure out what those JDM GT springs were and came out way outside of a reasonable number.

Here's a pic of the my new pink springs just to see what I'm talking about:

Are those brand new or used? Regardless, do you mind taking some measurements on how tall the front springs are, if you haven't install them yet? I want to see if there is much difference on how tall the GT AT front and Spec B front pinks are.

I took some measurements on the Spec B front like this:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1286138&postcount=77

I just received my GT AT pinks and plan on installing them in the next couple of weeks. Car is in the shop right now getting a new rear Diff (warrenty):mad:

I started a thread and it seemed very obvious to get the GT sedan AT pinks were the way to go.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64808

Are these going on blisteins? If so what blisteins?

Are those brand new or used? Regardless, do you mind taking some measurements on how tall the front springs are, if you haven't install them yet? I want to see if there is much difference on how tall the GT AT front and Spec B front pinks are.

I took some measurements on the Spec B front like this:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1286138&postcount=77

My Pinks are used. I just measured using your technique and came up with just a hair under 9.5" on the fronts. I'm really only 90% sure that they are GT AT springs. I couldn't find what the paint dab color code on mine matched to. I have a single white dab of paint.

And I guess my guestimating eye is pretty good since I measured my JDM GT AT Springs and they were in fact 1.5" taller than the pinks at 11" (they are used too). The coil design really looks like the bottom and tops would compress quite a bit, unlike the pinks which have tighter coils at the ends. I figure the difference between the two will come in closer to the quoted 15mm. But when I put mine in a week or two, I'll measure before and after and post the figures. I'll be using JDM GT Rev B fronts and Bilstein HD rears.

Yes they are going on bilsteins, REV C.. I dont think there is any difference between a REV C and REV A except for valving, the body is the same.

JDM GT or Spec B? When are they going on?

Archived