LegacyGT.com

My Dealer Sucks

I think part of the reason that I'm so disenchanted with Subaru is the fact that my dealer (the only one in town) is terrible. It's a joint Nissan/Subaru dealership so we're dealing with guys that try to sell general scheduled "services" constantly. I deal with more haggling when I get my car serviced then I would if I were buying a car from them.

Story 1: During my second oil change, the service department called me and said, "your tires need to be rotated." I said, "Why?" They insisted that it had to be done. I mentioned that the manual says that I don't need to rotate them until 15,000 miles. They continued to insist on it until I told them it wasn't going to happen. (They tried to pull the same thing on my girlfriend with her '06 WRX and she fell for it. They rotated the tires. I called later to ask them if they usually take advantage of women, I guess they recommend rotating the tires during every other oil change.) I get another call back a little while later and they said that they noticed my brake pads were warping so they went ahead and resurfaced them for me. No charge, it's covered under warranty. Not too happy about them just taking things into their own hands...

Story 2: Headlight burns out. I take it in, they say that the bulb needs to be replaced. I say, "go for it." They replace it. I take the car home and the next time I drive at night, I notice that the non-replaced bulb was far brighter than the new one. I took it back in and they said that something was wrong with the wiring. They fixed the problem so the lights were now even. A week later, the new bulb burns out. I took it back in (3rd visit) and they said that the back of the bulb was peeling off--so they replaced it again. (Still working, it was just a hassle)

Story 3: They recognize that my fuel consumption is higher than it should be (I average 14mpg in town, 18mpg mixed city/highway, and 20mpg city). They've run a couple of fuel consumption tests where they've driven the car for 100 miles and they note the same thing . They've also had me fill up my gas tank across the street and bring the receipt over so they could log my mileage (even though I've been logging for the last 20,000 miles). After I submitted my last receipt, I was told that everything would be turned over to the regional rep for his review. That was two weeks ago. Now, they keep telling me that, "Scott was supposed to call you" and that they will look into it and get back to me. No one has gotten back to me. There is a law firm interested in seeing Subaru's documentation on my problem but the dealership refuses to give me the records. I've asked nicely twice for complete service records for my car, including the results of the fuel consumption tests that they ran. They say, "We'll make copies and have them ready for you in a couple of days." Still haven't been able to get anything.

Story 4: My girlfriend and I were driving somewhere and her airbag light came on. We were close to the dealership so we drove over to see if they had anything to say about it. The assistant service manager said that the earliest they could see it was on Thursday, and the worst that would happen was that, "...the airbag won't go off if you crash." Nice wording, buddy. She dropped the car off that Thursday and was expecting to pick it up later the same day. She called me in the afternoon and said that Subaru wasn't able to fix the problem because they said it was caused by a rodent chewing through wires--and it isn't covered by warranty. I picked her up and we went down to the dealership to the damage. The service manager comes out and shows us a yellow wire. I said, "show me the rat." He said, "Well, it's obviously not there anymore." The wire looked like it got pinched, twisted, and then ripped out. Not chewed. The service manager said he noticed some "dog bowls and treats" in the car so he thinks our dogs crawled under the seat and chewed through the wire. (Small dog = 17lbs, other dog = growing Border Collie, above 25lbs) At first, we were told the parts alone would be $1,200 + straight labor so her total would be over $2,000. The service manager suggested we call her insurance company on the spot.

I said it's bull and there isn't going to be a service claim. We argued about it for a while and he gave me some bit about his experience in the automotive field. The service manager said he would ask Scott, the regional rep, to review the case. We took the piece of wire and left. My girlfriend called her insurance company and they laughed because it was so ludicrous. After the weekend, the service manager called and said he talked to Scott. He said Subaru would cover it under warranty as a kind gesture, but this type of damage isn't usually the responsibility of the dealership. Right--someone messed up and they were trying to pawn it off on...the dogs.

Maybe I'm just venting but I'm sick of these guys. They don't know anything about customer service, they know nothing about performance mods and wouldn't know a sway bar if it slammed them in the face, and I'm not sure I trust them anymore. :mad:

Edit:

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to identify the dealership in here.

Worden-Martin Subaru

1404 North Dunlap Avenue

Savoy, IL 61874

http://www.wordenmartin.com/Subaru/

I guess I should be happy that I live in an area that has lots of hippies and yuppies that buy subaru. I have 4 dealerships within a 20 minute drive, and two of them are well known for being experts on subarus and mod friendly.

Sorry to hear about your problems. It not really SOA (which has their own problems) but it's your dealer that sucks. You might want to contact SOA and open a complaint case. The dealer that I bring my car to for service is not the dealer I picked up the car from but the guys at Freehold Subaru(for service) are pretty good.

Just yesterday, I mentioned my steering wheel had a slight vibration on aggressive braking (70 to 40 mph) and asked if they could check my brakes and rotors. The service manager told me the front rotors had to be resurfaced (covered under warranty). The service manager said it would take about 90 minutes to do. In about an hour the car was ready and the car feels like I got a brake upgrade. Now there is not vibration during aggressive braking whatsoever.

The reason I am mentioning this is because others have complained to certain dealers about this same problem with the steering wheel vibrating during heavy braking (due to the warped rotors or deposits) only to have dealer/service dept tell them "this is normal" or "you probably need new pads". Of course the problem is still not resolved.

Like is said in the first paragraph, sometimes it's the dealers that suck not necessarily Subaru. You have to let SOA know the crap that is going on at certain dealerships. Also, you might want to try another dealer for service/maintenence.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Sorry to hear about your problems. It not really SOA (which has their own problems) but it's your dealer that sucks. You might want to contact SOA and open a complaint case. The dealer that I bring my car to for service is not the dealer I picked up the car from but the guys at Freehold Subaru(for service) are pretty good.

Just yesterday, I mentioned my steering wheel had a slight vibration on aggressive braking (70 to 40 mph) and asked if they could check my brakes and rotors. The service manager told me the front rotors had to be resurfaced (covered under warranty). The service manager said it would take about 90 minutes to do. In about an hour the car was ready and the car feels like I got a brake upgrade. Now there is not vibration during aggressive braking whatsoever.

The reason I am mentioning this is because others have complained to certain dealers about this same problem with the steering wheel vibrating during heavy braking (due to the warped rotors or deposits) only to have dealer/service dept tell them "this is normal" or "you probably need new pads". Of course the problem is still not resolved.

Like is said in the first paragraph, sometimes it's the dealers that suck not necessarily Subaru. You have to let SOA know the crap that is going on at certain dealerships. Also, you might want to try another dealer for service/maintenence.

I called Subaru of America to complain about the treatment I received. They just called the dealership and told them about the complaint. 10 minutes later, the assistant service manager from the dealership called me to ask why I filed a complaint. Not really a fun conversation.

Subaru of America isn't really interested in helping me for some reason. They just keep referring me back to the dealership. Same thing happened when my girlfriend called regarding her chewed wire--they told her to go to the dealership. :spin:

luckily my dealer service dept is great. of course, my husband works there, but even before that, they have treated me quite well. friendly and knowledgeable staff and their service manager will go out of his way to help you if you are willing to be helped (i say this, because he's not gonna go out on a limb and ask for favors if someone goes in screaming, yelling, and being a royal PITA). if you are up front and don't lie to him about something that may have happened, he usually does his best to see what they can do.

do you receive the surveys after you get any service work done?? if so (you should), make sure you fill them in and explain everything. SOA takes these surveys very seriously and most dealerships are graded on how well they do. not only that, but service advisors (my husband is one) gets incentives and spiffs based on how well he performs his job and helps a customer. poor reviews for the SA and SD are noticed and of course there is a WRITTEN version of this complaint. also, when you do call SOA, remember, it's just another 800 #. not until you escalate it up the chain is there someone who might actually care or can do something about it.

just like you, there is only ONE dealer here, in the next 350 miles (Fairbanks is the closest). unlike you, my dealer is great. i know i'd be pretty unhappy if they weren't and i'd definitely not purchase another vehicle if i'd have to have service done ONLY at that facility. I have NOT purchased certain make vehicles because of that in the past, and still will not. good luck and sorry about the situation.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

do you receive the surveys after you get any service work done?? if so (you should), make sure you fill them in and explain everything. SOA takes these surveys very seriously and most dealerships are graded on how well they do. not only that, but service advisors (my husband is one) gets incentives and spiffs based on how well he performs his job and helps a customer. poor reviews for the SA and SD are noticed and of course there is a WRITTEN version of this complaint. also, when you do call SOA, remember, it's just another 800 #. not until you escalate it up the chain is there someone who might actually care or can do something about it.

Actually, I haven't received any of those surveys in a while. I gave them poor marks on the last one I completed, though.

I've tried to get as high up on the chain as I could but I kept getting stuck at the second level (senior rep) on the phone, and I can't even talk to the regional rep for the dealership. I hate lawyers and I don't want the hassle of taking this far, but I just want some answers. As far as I know, no one on this board is getting fuel mileage as poor as mine for a stock LGT.

Actually, I haven't received any of those surveys in a while. I gave them poor marks on the last one I completed, though.

I've tried to get as high up on the chain as I could but I kept getting stuck at the second level (senior rep) on the phone, and I can't even talk to the regional rep for the dealership. I hate lawyers and I don't want the hassle of taking this far, but I just want some answers. As far as I know, no one on this board is getting fuel mileage as poor as mine for a stock LGT.

Again where are you from, and what dealer are you talking about. A lot of people here could help you out if they knew...

i'm pretty much all city (stop and go) from one light to the next and i avg about 17-18 mpg, if i have any hwy miles, i avg about 19-20 mpg. and i am anything BUT stock.

why will they not allow you to talk to your regional rep? I have met mine, in fact, he was just here 2 wks ago and approved the lower trunk and rear bumper be repainted under warranty due to the clear coat bubbling up.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived