LegacyGT.com

Rattling from the dashboard?

prelude

I think many LGT owners have this problem, the creeks and crackling from the dashboard. It is getting more and more obvious on my car. Today I found out the rattle is from driver side, between A pillar, windshield and dashboard. I also notice that when I push the dashboard, that rattling sound goes away. So I put something in between the A pillar, windshield and dashboard,( some folded paper). Amazingly, the noise is GONE!!

I have the _exact_ same problem.. I think it's the A-pillar cover where it meets the dash... I tried taking the cover off and it wasn't going so well so I gave up and saved it for later. I think you have to literally bend it in the middle to pull it of the top tab.. I'll let somebody else do it first :)

I took mine in today, and they said they couldn't hear anything. It has been irritateing me for some time. But, then again, I am glad they didn't blame it on my coilovers, cuz they easily could have and brushed me off. I am glad I have this thread so I can print it out and show them I am not the only one. B4

Fixed it, properly. To take the A-pillar cover off, pry the top away from the A-pillar, use a flat screwdriver to press the shiny metal release tab inside, and then just pull it off. Some sticky foam (vinyl weather stripping is my choice) on both sides where it meets the dash, and all quiet now.

• 5 weeks later...
Subaru is not the only automobile to feature the non-stop in-car compilation of annoying sounds. My mom's 2003 Nissan Maxima SE was warrantied for the Bose 6 disc radio unit. The problem was it did not eject discs nor did it play them. After getting the new unit installed and a month of use, annoying squeaks and rattles started to come from the unit and the air vents that were located on top of it. After going twice to the dealer with this problem, it was never fixed. The noice was stop when you pressed down on the plastic trim around the vents beneath the radio. The solution for us was simple. When I inserted a credit card between the radio and the vent trim, the noice stopped. After looking hard for an 'aftermarket' part, I inserted a small piece of rubberish plastic between the trim and noice was gone. So much for the dealer's measly effort and help.

Prelude, nice shots. i too have this rattle, but mine comes from the area behind the radio, like INSIDE the dash somewhere. i usually only hear it when i'm driving over a surface that's not perfectly smooth. a creaking sound. very annoying. i usually just keep the radio on "loud" mode. :D

[QUOTE=Rexmobbin']Prelude, nice shots. i too have this rattle, but mine comes from the area behind the radio, like INSIDE the dash somewhere. i usually only hear it when i'm driving over a surface that's not perfectly smooth. a creaking sound. very annoying. i usually just keep the radio on "loud" mode. :D[/QUOTE] I know where it is.. It's where the rear of the top of the radio faceplate meets the dash material.. Almost sounds like someone left loose change behind there. The only problem is it's hard to fix it without having the material you use show through.. I'm thinking it would be better to use a dremel and cut off all the little "fins" that make contact.. Useless anyway.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']Mine is in the shop as we speak for the rattle. The mechanic said the fuel lines are rubbing together when they expand and contract do to the changes in the tempreture. I hope thats the issue.[/QUOTE] The Legacys have a fuel line rubbing problem that causes a buzz/rattle behind the drivers dash (actually it is in the engine bay at the firewall) Yes.....it is your fuel lines rubbing...here is my thread about the fix: [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5684[/url]

man i feel like a dummy now, i had a rattle in this location too, its been there since the day i bought my car, ive taken the a-pillar out several times to put foam, cushioned tape, and even sound deadener all to no prevail, well yesterday my garage door opener quit working so i took it off the visor and put it in the console by my wallet so i would remember to get a new battery for it, and voalla the sound is gone!!!, isnt it funny how goofy we humans are?

Archived