LegacyGT.com

who to use for alignment subaru or les schwab

Ok... I've got over 30k miles and I just bought new tires so I'm thinking I should get my first alignment since purchasing the car.

http://www.lesschwab.com/videos_alignments.asp

This video from les schwab makes a good case...

should I just go to the dealer where I bought my car...haven't had them do much work...just the fan relay fix and it was quick...

I was quoted 59 for the alignment from Subaru...

But the video says that if my car was within specs they will not charge for the alignment... ????

Any suggestions will help...thanks

How much is the alignment if the vehicle is out of specs?

I don't know the reputation of each facility... but I'm 90% sure after 30K miles of driving, your pressed toe is out of spec... so the other place will probably charge you.

Just get a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer. Most of the time they know what they are doing, and it seems that they quoted you a really cheap price. I paid $90 for my aligment. Do it and be done with it.

no one but the dealer service dept touches my car. if it's outside the dealership, it's one of the Subaru trained techs. i would suggest taking it to the dealer. usually they do know what they are doing (after all they spent a lot of money to become a certified subaru service center) and their techs will know more about the specs of your car than any midas or les schwab place imo.

of course, my opinion is a bit biased since i'm practically married to our subie service dept. we have one tech who does an awesome job on our alignments, gets it dialed in for autox and track.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i track the car sometimes and also autox. so i need a little different alignment. :) but i gotta figure out my coilovers too... adjust the camber to get my tires sticking a little more.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Which dealer is quoting $59? If you don't want to post it, PM me.

Thanks.

Steve

Why is that good bad or what?

Yeah I just double checked 59.95 plus tax Maita Subaru four wheel alignment...

116 for the brake fluid change...

Those are the only things left on the 30k that i didn't do myself..

(don't have an alignment machine)

don't like brake fluid and it's normally a two person job)

I did the front rear diff, coolant, tires, cabin filter, kN air filter, oil and filter,

I only pay $60 to have alignments down at Carr Subaru. I don't trust Les Schwab after something they said. Something to the effect of... "Well depends on some subaru's...."

Alignments take about 45-90 mins.

Also if you're going to get the brake fluid flushed, get some better fluid put in. ;)

Yeah...better fluid...any suggestions?

Will better fluid do anything if I dont' upgrade anything else?

I eventually want to do a nice brake kit... half for looks...half for better brakes...

Love the DBA 4000s stainless steel braided lines... you know....

but if I were to do fluid...what do you think?

My dealer told me they use synthetic MOC brand... never heard of it...

cant' find anything on it....

30k service says to change the fluid....should I leave it for another year or two until I upgrade the brakes :)

Thanks

A lot of the Impreza guys like the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, found at AutoZone for $5 bottle. One bottle will be plenty for you. Better brake fluid will yield a higher boiling point. Just changing the fluid out though helps out because of brake fluid's tendency to be want to grab water from the air(hydroscopic?).

I'd save the brake fluid change until you went with better lines, if you were going to put better lines in soon(within 6 months). If you were going to wait two years to put better brake fluid in, I'd change it out now just to be safe. If you're already at 30k, I'd change it out to be on the safe side.

As far as the MOC brand is, the MOC distributors sell only to dealers, to my knowledge(at least around here).

I wouldn't use les schwab. I had bad experinece with them with my other car after I was forced to hit the curb by a truck cut into my lane. Frist time they didn't do it right. Second time they claim my alignment is within spec and it's my steering rack that had the problem; on top of that one of their tech dropped my key and remote on the ground and stepped on it and broke it. I took my car to my mechanic and had him take it to a shop he trust, came back perfect. I WILL NEVER GO LES SCHWAB!!

The dealer I used to work at was pretty cool. They'd do the alignment under warranty if it was under the 36/36 warranty period. But some dealers aren't cool, and unfortunately, a lot of dealers don't have people who can do alignments for anal retentive people. I'm a bit of a performance guy, so I know what the performance guys expect/want *usually*.

To the OP, if you find a reputable guy that does alignments nearby, go to him. It shouldn't matter where he works, as long as he knows what he's doing. I will say this though, it does help if the alignment equipment is relatively new(under 5 years old).

Archived