LegacyGT.com

Ugly 2007 B9 changed for 2008?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really.... as much as you know. The 08 models are not in Canada yet.

Stick it up your arrogant ass.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.....oh wait maybe its......WRONG...... Went in for a problem with brakes, warranty covered, 10th july 2007..... The yard here in montreal....which is in canada...was filled with 08 legacy GT's, NA's, & wagons in both.......and there was a 08 Tribeca parked outside next to an 07 B9 Tribeca for comparison....:eek::eek: amazing...

Here's how Subaru describes the change - from Spring "Drive" Magazine. I'd say they were "encouraged".

Customer input encouraged Subaru designers to rethink the stylistic impact of the Tribeca exterior. While addressing the nose’s polarizing styling, Subaru also gave the rest of the sheet metal a makeover.

Anyone familiar with the previous B9 Tribeca will notice the dramatic changes for 2008. The Tribeca has all-new skin, including the grille, bumpers, hood, front fenders, rear quarter panels, liftgate, and roof. In fact, the only body parts carried over from the 2007 model year are the doors and rocker panels.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.....oh wait maybe its......WRONG...... Went in for a problem with brakes, warranty covered, 10th july 2007..... The yard here in montreal....which is in canada...was filled with 08 legacy GT's, NA's, & wagons in both.......and there was a 08 Tribeca parked outside next to an 07 B9 Tribeca for comparison....:eek::eek: amazing...

Montreal is not in Canada. At least not in the same Canada that the rest of the country belongs to. (unless your from the English part of Montreal. Then you can call yourself Canadian.)

Here's a review from one of my favorite automotive sites, lots of good comments too:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=4154

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the Tribeca. Pointless vehicle.

Very good read. I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that it looks like a ex Daimler product. The SUV reminds me of the Chevy Lumina in that Chevy missed the boat in 83 when Toyota and Dodge were steeling the market. They came out with a POS to try to keep face and get some of the booming market. Subaru looks like its making a half ass attempt to put a product on the market just hoping the badge will carry the weight.

Message to Subaru:

You missed the SUV market surge. Get over it. By trying to jump in half hearted you will do nothing more than hurt the brands name. The market sees the Subaru brand in my opinion as the sure and steady focused car maker. By pushing a design that is not worthy of the reputation you WILL hurt your other lines reputation.

I think Subaru needs to sit down and take a hard look at the Honda Pilot or the Toyota Highlander and figure out why they are at the top of the SUV heap. If you cant come out with a SUV that will meet or beat both of them, Dont throw your hat in the ring.... Opps too late.

Montreal is not in Canada. At least not in the same Canada that the rest of the country belongs to. (unless your from the English part of Montreal. Then you can call yourself Canadian.)

Has Quebec seceded yet? They've been threatening to for so long but just can't get it done. When's the next referendum? I'll put in my vote. (oh, I guess I'm not Canadian... Sorry, I tried.)

Maybe Ottowa can just throw them out.

Hey, what would happen if their referendum succeeded at the same time the North American Union succeeded. We'd have CanaMexicUS and Quebec.

Oh, and just to stay on topic, I still like the new Tribeca. It's less controversial, so it'll sell better.

Quebec wont separate. They wanted to split but got scared when they realized that they were going to be economically isolated. would have to have their own currency and the nasty deal with what to do with the Natives. I give them credit, they had the guts to do something that us here in Alberta dont have the spine to try (to date). They also need to recognize that the industry in the province of Quebec is fuelled by the raw materials from the rest of the country. And they are a negative producer in the country for capital (they pull more out of the Fed than they put back in) so how could the province sustain itself as a sovern country when they cant even do it with help?

WAYYYYY off topic. Everyone outside Quebec just like to pick on them and rattle the cage. Its fun seeing them fly off the handle. :p

Quebec wont separate. They wanted to split but got scared when they realized that they were going to be economically isolated. would have to have their own currency and the nasty deal with what to do with the Natives. I give them credit, they had the guts to do something that us here in Alberta dont have the spine to try (to date). They also need to recognize that the industry in the province of Quebec is fuelled by the raw materials from the rest of the country. And they are a negative producer in the country for capital (they pull more out of the Fed than they put back in) so how could the province sustain itself as a sovern country when they cant even do it with help?

Yeah, I hear Canada pumps around $3-4 Billion annually into Quebec. It would take a serious shakeup for them to be able to sustain themselves.

WAYYYYY off topic. Everyone outside Quebec just like to pick on them and rattle the cage. Its fun seeing them fly off the handle. :p

Yeah, I know it was off topic, but I did bring it back with my Tribeca comment. I still like the new Tribeca... Now they should come out with a turbo model.

Good point with the Turbo... Whats up with a no Turbo model. Every other model has a performance package.

If they REALLY want to make some waves and get noticed why not come out with some rediculos twin Trubo 600HP monster. Advertise it as a SUV that will eat any mopar SRT or Ford SVT.

Greenpeace wont be pleased, but you may have a market in high performance SUV's

;1262931']This is news from APRIL' date=' moron. Ever heard of the New York Auto Show? That's where everybody got their first chance to see the new Tribeca. Now, all you have to do is drive to your nearest frickin' Subaru dealer to see one.[/quote']

No kidding. I thought this was the Legacy forum.

If quebec for some reason every became its own....I would bounce, but it does have its benefits.... The nightlife is the best in Canada here, and the drivers actually move from the fast lane if you are coming in, ontario drivers are just as dumb as PA drivers....they think left lane is slow lane

That picture of the 08 B9 looks like it has a lot of influence from the former Saab alliance. The headlights scream Saab, while the grill looks very Christler-ish.

I think there is a lot of outside design consulting going on across the industry, which would help explain some of the similarity across brands. Either that or the designers are hopping from one firm to the other every two years. Just my $0.02.

All very true. I'm actually missing the old one now that I've seen the new one. I've read that the new styling was originally intended for Saab.

And manufacturers both rely on the same consultants and poach each others' designers. While inside GM a decade ago I saw some concepts developed by a GM designer working with Bertone. These concepts had headlights stretching way up into the fenders, a details later seen on a few Nissans and Toyotas. One of the concepts, which went nowhere inside GM, even looked a lot like the Murano.

Coincidence? Doubtful. I suspect that Nissan, Toyota, or both also used Bertone as a consultant.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to an '08 Tribeca unveiling event at my local dealer. Seeing it in person confirms my initial impressions - general styling looks a bit like the SAAB prototype, while the grille has a definite similarity to the Forester grille. Some good family resemblence there.

In all, it's a really nice looking vehicle, and should sell well. The earlier style was immediately recognizable as a Subaru Tribeca, for people who knew. The problem was that too few people knew. The styling was a little too cutting edge for mass-market, relegating it to a niche. The new styling is much more mass market, and should appeal to a much, much wider audience. Sales should be good.

It's a sharp looking SUV.

I just went to an '08 Tribeca unveiling event at my local dealer. Seeing it in person confirms my initial impressions - general styling looks a bit like the SAAB prototype, while the grille has a definite similarity to the Forester grille. Some good family resemblence there.

In all, it's a really nice looking vehicle, and should sell well. The earlier style was immediately recognizable as a Subaru Tribeca, for people who knew. The problem was that too few people knew. The styling was a little too cutting edge for mass-market, relegating it to a niche. The new styling is much more mass market, and should appeal to a much, much wider audience. Sales should be good.

It's a sharp looking SUV.

Why on earth do you think sales will be good? The old versions sales were underwelming and that was with deep discounts and incentives. Not to mention that it is outclassed by almost every other car in it's class. Sharp looking? More like automotive Ambien... boring and derivitive. I realize that you were at an unveiling event and no doubt drank some of the kool-aid so I will take your comments with a grain of salt.

My impression of the vehicle post restyling remains the same as it was pre-restyling... pointless vehicle that dilutes the brand.

Why on earth do you think sales will be good? The old versions sales were underwelming and that was with deep discounts and incentives. Not to mention that it is outclassed by almost every other car in it's class. Sharp looking? More like automotive Ambien... boring and derivitive. I realize that you were at an unveiling event and no doubt drank some of the kool-aid so I will take your comments with a grain of salt.

My impression of the vehicle post restyling remains the same as it was pre-restyling... pointless vehicle that dilutes the brand.

I stated why I think sales will be good - because it looks better than its predecessor, and will appeal to a wider audience.

You forget that the mass market WANTS Ambien. Most people don't care about cutting edge, technological advancement, or capability. As long as it looks decent and does what they want, they'll buy it.

Those of us that are more technically astute will appreciate its qualities and capabilities, but many just buy for looks,... non-controversial looks.

I think Subaru was just trying to capitalize on the SUV craze (a few years late) to try to break into the mainstream. It may work this time.

My parents just went out looking for a new vehicle a week ago. They took every SUV in the market out for a spin under 55k in the size range of the B9. I convinced them to try out even the models that they would never think about. Such as the B9 and the Mitsubishi. When it all came down to it in the end they were deciding between the Honda Pilot and the 07 B9. The deciding factor between the two was not styling (to my surprise) but rather the MASSIVE lack of power the B9 had in comparison to the Pilot.

It appears that styling may take a back seat to performance at the end of the day for allot of buyers. Its sad that a company that makes performance sedans will TRY sell a gutless SUV.

My parents just went out looking for a new vehicle a week ago. They took every SUV in the market out for a spin under 55k in the size range of the B9. I convinced them to try out even the models that they would never think about. Such as the B9 and the Mitsubishi. When it all came down to it in the end they were deciding between the Honda Pilot and the 07 B9. The deciding factor between the two was not styling (to my surprise) but rather the MASSIVE lack of power the B9 had in comparison to the Pilot.

It appears that styling may take a back seat to performance at the end of the day for allot of buyers. Its sad that a company that makes performance sedans will TRY sell a gutless SUV.

Have them drive an '08 - there's a big difference in torque. They'll be much more pleased with it.

The power is probably a big reason the earlier model didn't sell well, which they have corrected for '08.

Actually, I wonder if some of it has to do with throttle mapping - if Subaru mapped it more aggressively, it could feel more powerful. I owned a Toyota Previa a few years back, and it was a little 4-cylinder. It had aggressive throttle mapping, so it felt powerful, though it ran out of oomph farily quickly.

Definitely have them drive an '08 Tribeca - it will have a stronger feel to it.

We had a '92 AWD Previa (the non supercharged variant) and that is the slowest vehicle I have ever driven. 0-60 in 12 seconds. EEEEP.

Oooh, the AWD added a lot of weight and rolling friction but added no power. They were dogs. Without AWD they were reasonably peppy, but I think they were at 100% throttle at about 60% of the pedal travel, cuz there just wasn't much more once you got past halfway. Mine was a '91.

Oooh, the AWD added a lot of weight and rolling friction but added no power. They were dogs. Without AWD they were reasonably peppy, but I think they were at 100% throttle at about 60% of the pedal travel, cuz there just wasn't much more once you got past halfway. Mine was a '91.

We had ours for 13 years and many trips from PA to Illinois. Ill give it that.

We had ours for 13 years and many trips from PA to Illinois. Ill give it that.

I ran mine up to 200,000 miles, but too many things had quit working. The A/C system had several holes, and was going to cost $1200-1500 to fix it, the CD player quit working, the heater fan quit working, and some interior parts were breaking. But that engine just kept on running...

I loved the rotating captains chairs in the middle. That was a great feature. ...and the fold-up rear seats were pretty useful too.

Archived