LegacyGT.com

Ugly 2007 B9 changed for 2008?

So the B9 has to rank up in the top 5 for the worst design in car styling since the mid 80's. No angle provides a yack free reflex.

Just seen the 08 commercial for the B9. its "better" looking than the 07 but its looking more like a mini-van than the SUV they claim it to be. How can the same company that makes the WRX STI design something that looks like it has tumours and was the conceptual drawings from the school for the blind?

Also for something to think about, it (08 B9) looks like the Chrysler Pacifica... Actually the Pacifica has headlights that suit the Subaru style more than the B9 does. Did the design come from the same office and the secretary mix up the prints?

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/feb9sub_4.jpg

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca08diamondgrayside1.JPG

Chrysler Pacifica

http://www.chrysler.com/img/pacifica.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That picture of the 08 B9 looks like it has a lot of influence from the former Saab alliance. The headlights scream Saab, while the grill looks very Christler-ish.

I think there is a lot of outside design consulting going on across the industry, which would help explain some of the similarity across brands. Either that or the designers are hopping from one firm to the other every two years. Just my $0.02.

Hey, I liked the funky and different look of the Tribeca and I owned one for a while. But overall Subaru's designs are dated and still in need of help. My 07 LGT is probably the best looking Subaru ever, but it's design still looks like a 90's Maxima with a smushed nose. Even the STI looks like a kit car compared to most others, though everyone has gotten used to it. The new cars coming out continue the ugly trend. I know a LOT of people who won't buy over the Subie looks and that's too bad.

Capt RB

I saw it in person and it looks great, the front is aggressive and body very nice...however the back lights pissed me off cause they looked almost identical to a new hyundai or kia or whatever....it doesnt look like a minivan at all in my opinion, they should have kept the 07 back lights...

How can the same company that makes the WRX STI design something that looks like it has tumours and was the conceptual drawings from the school for the blind?

While the sti performs, visually its not exactly a work for art.

Summary

They went forward thinking but very ugly, they fixed it back pedaling and going conservative. vs forward thinking and very attractive.

Side profile and interior are still very nice though.

I liked the 07 design, it was unique and it stood out. Didn't look like every damn car out there.

I guess we could argue what is more ugly, the Baja or the Tribeca.

The Baja was ugly mostly because it was still based on the previous-generation Legacy. The side profile did look a little awkward with the bed extending so far out. It probably would have worked better if they had made it a two-door, two-seater like the old Ranchero and El Camino, then it wouldn't hang out so far in the back and would still have decent bed size.

When I first saw the new Tribeca nose, I instantly saw the similarity to the Forester, and I think it was a good choice. I also noticed that the headlights did have a strong similarity to that Tribeca-based prototype SAAB that Subaru made. I think it's a good look. I like it.

we have gotten 2 of the 2008 tribeca's. They are pretty nice. the new engine is a lot better in the tribeca than the prev tribeca engine was.

interior is the same from what i can see but the leather is different and has a better feel to it.

I don't think it was stated obviously enough in the above posts. This is waaaaay old news. I'd look for the threads discussing the name change, fascia refresh, and engine update but they were months ago.

Well, the OP seems to be a newcomer, so we're willing to rehash old news to make him feel welcome.

If we only searched for the OLD stuff, nobody would be posting on here except for the people that have been members for years. And then it would be as interesting as the new neon.

I guess topics can be brought up once, and only when the news is a week old. Otherwise its "so last week"

And as for the STI. I think the pure function look is very appealing. Just like race cars usually look allot better than the factory models they are based on. Example: look at the touring class race Audi. I think it looks 1000 times better than the A6 its based on.

That picture of the 08 B9 looks like it has a lot of influence from the former Saab alliance. The headlights scream Saab, while the grill looks very Christler-ish.

I think there is a lot of outside design consulting going on across the industry, which would help explain some of the similarity across brands. Either that or the designers are hopping from one firm to the other every two years. Just my $0.02.

Agree with the first part. Also, it may be true that designers are hopping from firm to firm and taking their designs with them but I think it's just the continuation of a larger trend of all car companies copying each other and watering down their designs. People will buy the Tribeca because it looks like a Pacifica. It's a "safe" design to lure new customers in.

;1262931']This is news from APRIL' date=' moron. Ever heard of the New York Auto Show? That's where everybody got their first chance to see the new Tribeca. Now, all you have to do is drive to your nearest frickin' Subaru dealer to see one.[/quote']

really.... as much as you know. The 08 models are not in Canada yet.

Stick it up your arrogant ass.

;1262931']This is news from APRIL' date=' moron. Ever heard of the New York Auto Show? That's where everybody got their first chance to see the new Tribeca. Now, all you have to do is drive to your nearest frickin' Subaru dealer to see one.[/quote']

My dealer hasn't ordered any '08 Tribecas yet - trying to sell off the '07 Tribecas first.

Damn man, do you really have to be such a prick to everyone. wow :(

Archived