LegacyGT.com

Initial Nokian RSi report (no snow, just cold)

gtguy

Not surprisingly for those who are aware of the characteristics of a full snow tire, the Nokian RSi is a bit squirmy under aggressive maneuvering. As long as you're smooth, you'll notice that they're soft, but they aren't scary at times, like WS Blizzaks. Speed-wise, they're stable on dry pavement up to about 90 mph, as befits their R speed rating. The steering has lightened up a bit but again, given the difference in tread compound, rolling resistance and shoulder presentation to the road, compared to my Dunlop 9000 summer tires, this is to be expected. All in all, good deal, though I did have a funny experience. Went to a friend's house to watch the Bears today (I know...I know), and it was leaf day, when everyone seemed to have the leaf blowers out. Well, all four tires had leaf toupees by the time I was parked. The RSis are [b]definitely[/b] sticky. :lol: Oh, for some strange reason, the P1s look really cool with the Nokians...all rugged and stuff. Go figure. Kevin

Tonight, I went looking for snow. Luckily, all of the lake effect stuff didn't disappoint. There looked to be 2-3 inches on the ground, that wet, slippery snow that gave the Nokian WRs fits last year. Not so with the RSi. I have achieved my goal of finding a snow tire that, when it's snowing, pretty much allows me to say "Snow? What snow?" Braking was short and drama-free, with no ABS introduction. Acceleration in full hooligan mode got the tail out just a bit, and I mean a wee bit, before the car just tucked in and pulled through the corner. In the cold, wet rainy stuff they were also great. There's a bit of noise when the road is wet and you're running about 80 mph, too. But as I was telling rao, I wanted a snow tire where I wouldn't know that it was snowing, and it looks like the RSi is the one. I'm thrilled beyond imagining. Kevin

Nokians are sold by a tire chain-store.. but typically, any snow-dedicate tire is pretty awesome. I happen to like some of the Vredstein and Dunlops.. but since in Maryland we dont get that much snow, I opted for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='sduford']Snow is easy, ice is the real test of a winter tire.[/QUOTE] Sure is, and thanks to an overnight freeze, I can report that the RSi (rain, snow, ice) isn't lying about the ice part. They're noticeably better than the Blizzaks on the ice. Awesome tire. I wish that snow were easy. I'd still have WRs! :lol: I got mine from etires.com, less than $700 shipped to my door, in 225-45-17. Kevin

Archived