LegacyGT.com

cats vs catless

slowlane

Yea that is where I was confused. I can understand the lack of benefit for a stage 1 car, but with supporting mods it is an excellent addition to move that power curve to the left and peace of mind is truely priceless

Zac

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A catless UP will let the turbo spool quicker, for sure, and as Zac says will move the torque curve slightly to the left, although the peak will stay the same.

It's not worth doing for Stg. 1 unless you enjoy lying under the car ;)

yep ;)

Yea that is where I was confused. I can understand the lack of benefit for a stage 1 car, but with supporting mods it is an excellent addition to move that power curve to the left and peace of mind is truely priceless

Zac

No I totally agree. Wasnt arguing the actual gains, its more the amount of gains it will have on a stock car. I was thinking from a truly stock standpoint, which is what I think he means.

Yeah the spool will be quicker, my mentions are purely that it's not worth going through the effort to swap UP's if you're not doing the DP at the same time. He'll end up doing the same work twice, and the work that he did for the UP the first time really wont be worth it IMHO in performance gains.

The only reason Id swap in a catless UP stock would be for peace of mind with the turbo, not performance.

But, (::gets sentimental::), Ill support you in whatever you choose :p

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Well, I'm looking at going stage I shortly. It seems counterintuitive though, to up the boost on the turbo and still have three cats on the car.

No, I'm not going stage II, yes I know I should. :spin:

Gotcha! My whole shindig was based on thinking that you would be eventually going to Stg2.

If that's not in your plans, then deff get that UP cat out of there. Best of luck!

turbobum: I don't want to speak for everyone on the boards, but I have a strong intuition that once you go Stage I, the mod bug will get you and you will be itching to go Stage II. :rolleyes:

Don't ever start modding, you will never stop. :lol:

I know. A car in stock form seems fine for years and thousands of miles, but as soon as you add one mod, nothing seems to give enough hp.

Unfortunately, the wallet doesn't care, when it's broke...you're broke (and the wife's mad!)

And I "finance" nothing w/my credit cards.

BTW...nice color on your car

turbobum: I don't want to speak for everyone on the boards, but I have a strong intuition that once you go Stage I, the mod bug will get you and you will be itching to go Stage II. :rolleyes:

Don't ever start modding, you will never stop. :lol:

I think my stg3'ish Hogzaust is louder than some MR setups out there lol. Might not look as stylish though.

But hey, the car's designed for a near retired man, who needs a Gucci exhaust.

Just kiddin guys! (and for those of you older folk hah)

You have the stock CBE and havent hogged yet? Honestly, please do it. Takes 10 minutes and you can revert back if you don't like it.

I wanted a CBE until I hogged....and now....im good without one. I dont mind not having the extra 5-10hp or whatever. I saved myself like $600+

well, i have been running completely catless on all gutted pipes since last May. slight smell, but i don't notice at all. yes, it might be a tad bit louder, but not overly loud. even last year before the CBE, everyone commented how quiet the car was, they couldn't hear it. then i added the SPT CBE and intake. now it's loud... but i think it's more so the intake than the exhaust.

i am also upgrading my gutted stocker DP to an MR 3" catless DP. when I asked my techs and my tuner if I should go catted or catless, all it took was the look to know the answer: CATLESS. I was told and reaffirmed that with my current set up, catless was the way to go, i'm probably missing a good 20 whp with the restrictions of airflow and odd bends from the OEM DP. Keep in mind, I am running a larger turbo so the airflow makes more of a difference than on a VF40. DP will go on beginning of next week before I go back to the track on Weds eve. I'll let you know IF there is a difference or if it's just BS.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

You have the stock CBE and havent hogged yet? Honestly, please do it. Takes 10 minutes and you can revert back if you don't like it.

I wanted a CBE until I hogged....and now....im good without one. I dont mind not having the extra 5-10hp or whatever. I saved myself like $600+

Ok, I am sold. lol

I need hogzaust until I can afford CB exhaust.

Put in a gutted midpipe today. Now have a totally gutted up/dp and hogzaust. Maybe tad louder but pulls so much smoother and stronger now. The stock midpipe must really restrict alot. So far not much smell as my kids approved on the test drive with sunroof open. You cant beat the cost of this stage 2 setup. Will probably get a xo turbo back once they get some in w/ resonators and a dp that fits...

Jim

put the washers on Friday....she sounds mean with my setup

Put in a gutted midpipe today. Now have a totally gutted up/dp and hogzaust. Maybe tad louder but pulls so much smoother and stronger now. The stock midpipe must really restrict alot. So far not much smell as my kids approved on the test drive with sunroof open. You cant beat the cost of this stage 2 setup. Will probably get a xo turbo back once they get some in w/ resonators and a dp that fits...

Jim

How does one gut the midpipe?

Sounds like a good idea (no pun intended)

dang I dunno how u did it, but that sounds risky lol I would take a very long drill bit of some sort or even the screwdriver to break it up. But after its all done, taking a circular wire brush bit to smooth out the inside so no debree enventually falls off. But why hurt something that is so damn expensive. Like $500 for a cat...

Archived