LegacyGT.com

cats vs catless

slowlane

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly Ive heard both. Catless sounds DIFFERENT, but I really didnt notice a large difference in actual volume. It all depends on the system that you have on (and aka your mufflers)
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

As for pollutants, if you have a HFC'd DP, yes you're helping a little bit, but you've still already removed 3 other cats in the process, assuming you have a catless UP.

A "little bit" is better than "none at all" to me... ;)

-Mike-

How long have you had it on? Maybe its a very long break-in process? I've had mine on for about a straight month to month and a half for about 2-3k miles? It's loud....er than stock for sure, especially when you get into it. But I would call it far from loud.

Zac

I guess Id have to hear it in person. That really doesnt sound loud. I mean sure if you're at 5k+ rpms maybe. Honestly, that sounds on par with my stg 2-3 hogzaust. Maybe my perception of loud is different, especially since my car is already pretty loud (with hogzaust).

I guess in comparison to stock that's loud.

Do you have headers too? That doesn't sound like the normal MR (guess it's due to catless) Seems to be missing the boxer rumble. Please do not take offense, Im sure it is due to being a video with 2-channel audio vs. my own ears. Either way sounds nice, just wondering.

Sorry, didnt read the beginning.

Yeah I gotcha that it could drone, I agree. I guess Im just so used to my hogzaust that nothing sounds loud anymore. In all honesty, I think my car is too quiet now, which is scary....

Yeah. That's why Im not willing to change from Hogzaust.

I dont mean any offense to those of you that have spent good money on CBE's (and well worth it im sure, I just cant afford right now), but honestly, my favorite exhaust note as of now is Hogzaust. Can't beat the price, and there's still controversy over the real performance gains (or not) of CBE's.

I like my stock look and angry sound.

Yea mine sounds nothing like that actually, mine is much quieter and more "smooth" of a sound if that makes sense. But I definately have the same pops ;-)

Zac

Only if you were local, we could trade MR CBE's lol, I want quiet, you want sound.

Running catless is also illegal, and the feds can/will take some action.

There will be quite a bit more smell, it'll be louder and you'll be dumping more than normal pollutants into the air.

Go with a high flow cat.

/\ This is so wrong in so many ways

failga8.jpg.08aa7af28856d91857ef4f3c5ece25b1.jpg

By the sounds of it, the car won't get any louder with catless up and down pipe. I was only going to get the up pipe so that it wouldn't get any louder.

Do I need the EGT bung on an aftermarket up pipe if I keep the engine stock, or go stage I? I heard you don't need only if you go stage II.

That's what Im saying. You wont see ANY gain from going catless UP (some argue that turbo spool is quicker).

Honestly, if youre going to replace the UP, do it when you replace the DP. The work to swap the UP is NOT worth it if you're not doing the DP at the same time.

Keep the car stock until you're really ready to give it power, our car's arent meant to be modded without a tune, even for minor mods.

the power difference between cat and catless versions of the same exhaust is statistically insignificant, ie, the uncertainty involved in measuring power could account for any power difference observed.

A catless UP wont get you that. In THEORY people might say that it will, but it REALLY isn't worth the money.

Honestly, do what you want, but it's going to be a waste. If you can afford it, go ahead; but most of us here cant afford $100-200 for a catless up that will give you NO GAINS WHATSOEVER.

I'm not griping, just seriously trying to give you a better outlook on your cash. Even if you get the "smoother turbo spool up" that you say you're looking for, you're not going to gain ANY hp, torque, or 1/4 times. So what is there to gain from that mod? Nothing.

Wait until you have the money to go Stg2 and do it right. If you have a shop swap the UP for you, it'll cost $100+ for them to just swap it, possibly the cost of the pipe. If you do it yourself, it'll cost you almost the same amount of time that it would have to swap both the UP and the DP together. Don't waste your time and/or money, it's just not worth it.

I'm confused here. Theres a smoother and less restricted path to the turbo which results in a quicker spool, WHICH I HAVE EXPERIENCED from the mod. Instead of pulling after 3k, it's before 3k. So by shifting the power curve to the left and maybe not increasing the hp sure. But there is more USABLE horsepower which will net better 1/4 times.

Now I am unsure if your speaking from a truely stock standpoint or for people with even a stage 2. But Going from stage 2 to stage 2 with an UP/Protune was such a huge difference it was crazy. Not to mention the piece of mind that a piece of cat isn't going to fly into my turbo...

Zac

Archived