LegacyGT.com

New Leg GT Review - Objective test of handling

I had been googling for any internet published 0-100kph or 0-60mph acceleration times and found this roadtest of the new GT. [url]http://www.topcar.co.za/pages/Features_Display.asp?FeatureID=393[/url] It claims that it outhandles the bmw 330i in the ISO 3888 double lane change test. The details of which can be found here: [url]http://www.topcar.co.za/pages/Features_Display.asp?FeatureID=2[/url] "In terms of handling, the benefits of all-wheel drive make themselves noticed in no uncertain terms. Pitched against its competitors based on price, the BMW330i and Mercedes Benz C320, the Scooby scores top marks with an average speed through the double-lane change of 119,81 km/h. Given the vehicle’s dimensions, this really is a testament to the effectiveness of the all-wheel drive system." Just thought it might be of interest... :P Cheers, Mike.

I'm waiting for Paul's write-up. ;) He's more excited than a kid in a candy store about the handling of the new models stock over his previous modified B4 RSK! :o I'd rather see the FULL write-up though.

I hope so... I'm a big "steering feel" nut, and it's one reason why I s***canned the Volvo S60/V70R... it didn't have any. Great car otherwise, but dead steering feel and numb handling are a death sentence for any car wanting to park on my side of the garage. :twisted: I hope the Legacy has good steering feel (it should if the WRX is any clue) and also is *not* overboosted ala Camry or other cars that sometimes get dumbed down when they come here.

Disclaimer: JDM JDM JDM JDM Same 15:1 steering rack as the STi. Same steering wheel with much more pleasant centre section. Front geometry taken from lessons learned by sampling aftermarket ALK setups on older B4's and testing on the new STi's, starting with the S202. All that adds up to is ridiculously better turn-in and precision in the corners (when on sticky 050A rubber) when booting it around at nearly any speed. A quick test of a favorite 100km/h corner had me exiting at around 110km/h, and that's vs. the heavily modified beast whose setup inspired STi and Subaru in the first place. One of my first memories of precise high-speed handling was in an old 280Z, believe it or not. Despite it's age, it had a fairly good armstrong steering system - ie, non-power steering with a rather direct feel. I remember taking long, high-speed corners with that while holding it but a few inches from the guardrail without ever worrying about that. It has taken a while, but the new Legacy replicates that feel and situation perfectly, but doesn't involve a lot of manly grunting when parking. Turn-in is telepathically smooth, precise and maintains a high level of feedback on what you are doing without hammering your senses with every little dip in the road. Body roll is minimal - it takes a set rather quickly despite the retention of the rubbery stabilizer bar end links. Replace those with some pillow-ball units and it'd feel even more electric. View is excellent, Subaru designers and engineers did their homework. When the seat is adjusted precisely for my 6-foot frame, I cannot even see the hood literally, it's just a straight line of site down to the road. Nailing apexes has never been easier, nor as stress-free. When it is fully broken in, and I can get out to my route of choice where I know the apex/exit speeds of every corner, I'll let you all know how it matches up to the past. My prediction is that the USDM model will have a softer set of springs and dampers than the GT that I am driving. However, the geometry should be exactly the same, and the steering rack will be the same. That geometry was designed to minimize dive and squat along with body roll, and I wager those attributes will carry over intact. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Paul, How would you describe steering effort in the JDM car? And all I can say is that the GT *better* have the good steering if Subaru is truly serious about taking customers away from BMW, etc. They can have dumbed-down steering in the rest of the Legacy's for the masses, but the GT ought to be something better. IMHO :)

Paul, Seriously, you have single handedly made me so impatient for my wagon that I have constantly and consistently freaking out. Now for a real question: How does the wagon compare in handling to your sedan? Will there still be an emormous fun factor as you describe so well with the saloon?

The USDM car gets the same 15:1 steering ratio. I don't think any of us will know how the car handles until we drive it. There's suspension tuning, swaybar size, and other parameters that are difficult to evaluate. For example, some people say the WRX understeers. Other (like me) say that it is nice and neutral, and turns in willingly. It all depends upon how somebody drive. Some people could make a gyroscope understeer with their driving style. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']Paul, How would you describe steering effort in the JDM car? And all I can say is that the GT *better* have the good steering if Subaru is truly serious about taking customers away from BMW, etc. They can have dumbed-down steering in the rest of the Legacy's for the masses, but the GT ought to be something better. IMHO :)[/quote] I don't think you have to worry. Subaru is not going to put completely different parts in the USDM cars. Legacies have always had excellent steering feel and handling. Power has, however, been the substantive issue for the GT models. If you read the extended writeup at Subdriven.com about the new car, it's apparent that Subaru has paid much attention to steering feel and handling precision. I think we'll be juuust fine. :D Kevin

I don't disagree with you kevin, but american's demand less of thier cars than the japanese. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get some parts that aren't "the same" as thier JDM counterparts. I highly doubt it though since this was car of the year in japan.

[quote name='racerdave']Paul, How would you describe steering effort in the JDM car? [/quote] Light but with enough heft to keep you involved. Not as heavy as my Spec D RSK, but not as overboosted as the earlier A and B RSK's. Part of the lightness is due to the turn-in derived from the new front suspension geometry - not having to fight the wheel into corners does a lot for steering feel. America gets the same rack as Japan. All Legacy models get the same rack as Japan, actually - Subaru cannot afford to use 25 different steering racks. So from the bare bones 2.5 NA up to the 3.0 H6, people will get a generous helping of performance. One of the many reasons I bought yet another Legacy was due to steering feel and feedback - it is of paramount importance to me, and it is one of the few areas where Subaru trounces most of the competition. The Mazda 6 is the closest competitor in that department, but it lacks the interior and the engine and the awd balance. The RX8 is a good comparison, I may even rate the RX8 a bit higher, but it has been a while. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Paul, why aren't you out running the Wangan or wherever your hot spot is? :D I know these reports get me overly excited, I just want to go out and drive mine (oh wait, don't have it yet!)

Don't be such a whore Troy. :lol: You kow you love every minute of it. :D If only I could actually get some work done on the computers here at school instead of having fun on here. :lol: YEAH RIGHT!

Is that one for you and one for me? I'm so looking forward to getting out on the road with this new baby, burning up those RE92A's this fall and getting some of the better A/S tires out (like PZero Nero M&S or better) for transient driving.) I am so looking forward to it. Hmm, maybe I'll have to stop by the dealership today. :)

I emailed my dealer yesterday asking when he'd be getting them in and what my WRX would be worth as a trade, he didn't even know the prices had been released so I emailed him back with a link to need-desire :wink:

[quote name='Gumby']I emailed my dealer yesterday asking when he'd be getting them in and what my WRX would be worth as a trade, he didn't even know the prices had been released so I emailed him back with a link to need-desire :wink:[/quote] ..which dealer are you going through Gumby? Santa Cruz? I'm going through Sandy Charney at Santa Cruz, and you're right they're not too clued up. But that's ok, I still hear they're one of the best dealerships in the region so I'm looking forward to dealing with them... number one on their list!

[quote name='SUBE555']Is that one for you and one for me? I'm so looking forward to getting out on the road with this new baby, burning up those RE92A's this fall and getting some of the better A/S tires out (like PZero Nero M&S or better) for transient driving.) I am so looking forward to it. Hmm, maybe I'll have to stop by the dealership today. :)[/quote] Either or :) I need to stop by the dealership too. Maybe get them to change my order from red to blue.

[quote name='P2x'][quote name='Gumby']I emailed my dealer yesterday asking when he'd be getting them in and what my WRX would be worth as a trade, he didn't even know the prices had been released so I emailed him back with a link to need-desire :wink:[/quote] ..which dealer are you going through Gumby? Santa Cruz? I'm going through Sandy Charney at Santa Cruz, and you're right they're not too clued up. But that's ok, I still hear they're one of the best dealerships in the region so I'm looking forward to dealing with them... number one on their list![/quote] Yes, Santa Cruz, where exactly do you live P2x? Sandy sold me my WRX, it was sooo easy, I emailed them at 1:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon and he came back with a price under invoice :P it helped that the '03 to '04 changeover was taking place and I wanted an '03. I went in there the same day at 4:30 and was driving home with a :D on my face 45 mins later. They have a great service dept. and willingly give you loaner cars for any maintenance requiring more than an oil change, I had a Baja for the day once :lol: You also get free oil and filter changes for the first 3 years of ownership, it's called their "customer for life" program. Their service advisors are awesome, they are genuinely interested in Subaru's and chat away to you in a friendly manner while you're there, this is in stark contrast to the Volvo dealership across the road, pricks, that's what they are and I'll never own a Volvo again because of the gutted feeling I got every time I set foot on the premises. [/rant]

[quote name='SUBE555']Paul, why aren't you out running the Wangan or wherever your hot spot is? :D[/quote] I had just finished a couple of hours doing the Shutoko Battle, actually. There is an incredibly freaked out superbike owner out there because of that, too... (Dude, I got passed in the corners by a freaking Legacy! Man, what is up with that?) Cheers, Paul Hansen

[quote name='apexjapan'] There is an incredibly freaked out superbike owner out there because of that, too... (Dude, I got passed in the corners by a freaking Legacy! Man, what is up with that?) [/quote] :o I can almost see that :lol: makes me want one even more.

Archived