LegacyGT.com

5MT Tranny Fluid

gmorris

I have had the redline fluids in my tranny and diff for about a month now. Synchros work much better IMO. Problem: At least I think this is the cause of the noise: When I drive in a sharp corner (almost full lock) I notice a clattering noise. I thought it was from the suspension but I am pretty sure I ruled that out. It only makes noise when the car is under power, if I am just coasting it will not make the noise. Could this be from the tranny/front diff? I have the redline 75w90ns in there. Should I add some limited slip friction modifier in there?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Beanboy']How many miles so far? And did you ask for the MTL-R to be boosted up to GL-5 spec? "What we do is up the EP additive package level in the MTL-R to a GL5 spec"[/QUOTE] Since late Feb '05, all MTL-R fluids have been raised to GL5 specs. I have had it in since then, and have put on about 12K miles on it, and I still feel this is the best fluid I've ever tried.

[quote name='littlesilvermax']I have had the redline fluids in my tranny and diff for about a month now. Synchros work much better IMO. Problem: At least I think this is the cause of the noise: When I drive in a sharp corner (almost full lock) I notice a clattering noise. I thought it was from the suspension but I am pretty sure I ruled that out. It only makes noise when the car is under power, if I am just coasting it will not make the noise. Could this be from the tranny/front diff? I have the redline 75w90ns in there. Should I add some limited slip friction modifier in there?[/QUOTE] No, don't do it! It will only degrade your synchro performance! We have an open front diff, therefore no clutches, no need for any FM's. If you hear something, I could only think it might be a CV joint clicking, or some loose tolerance within the open diff, or slack in the powertrain. In any case, it is not due to the oil not having friction modifiers.

• 1 month later...
Must be fluids day! And I'm following in your footsteps Edmundu (Pennzoil Platinum and now Speciality Formulations) Have had MTL-R in the front diff/trans and TDS whatever it is in the rear diff. Have to say the shifting is a little firmer, but smoother. Instead of the light, notchy feel with the stock fluid, the shifter seems weighted and smoother. Can still feel a little bit of the notchiness, but it is muted, and downshifting is easier. Gear noise is still present, but noise is down a half-notch.

trans/front diff: 75W90 GL5 spec I think Subarus are unique in sharing oil between the front diff and trans, which means a compromise oil is needed to keep the gears and syncros happy. Why it is tough finding an oil that works well, and why there are endless threads on NASIOC about oils making shifting worse. rear diff: 75W90

[quote name='meier motor sports']so u say 75w90 for all? i was going to get the sf mtl-r fluid or whatnot for the trans/ front diff hds 5 in the rear? or more of the mtl-r in the rear diff?[/QUOTE] MTL-R for tranny/front diff. HDS-5 rear diff. I have this exact combo, it currently has about 16k miles on it, and I still think it is awesome! You'll love it!

[quote name='ralphyralph5']is this what u used edmundu [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8019004598&fromMakeTrack=true[/url] i can't find a website that sells the mtl-r[/QUOTE] No! That is Redline MTL, too thin! Here is the site for [url=http://www.specialtyformulations.com]Specialty Formulations Inc.[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='luv2drive']So how does this stack up to Subaru's own synthetic fluid? All the WRX guys I know that are using it, love it....[/QUOTE] Is this something new? Never known Subaru to use synthetic fluid. Can you get a part # on it, or post a link to where you saw the info? This isn't the old Justy fluid is it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Do any of the major "chain" auto parts stores carry Redline products? I have been looking online at napa, autozone, etc but cant seem to find anything. Im hoping to change my tranny and rear diff fluids over thanksgiving, so i need to place an order right away if I need to have it shipped.

Do any of the major "chain" auto parts stores carry Redline products? I have been looking online at napa, autozone, etc but cant seem to find anything. Im hoping to change my tranny and rear diff fluids over thanksgiving, so i need to place an order right away if I need to have it shipped.

If you don't have a local speedshop that stocks it, then I would just place an order online. The big chain stores generally don't carry Redline. I think Advance Auto might have engine oil, but I haven't seen gear oil...

• 4 months later...

Archived