LegacyGT.com

Cabin smell going catless DP

XLeezardx

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, old bump brings back memories.... FWIW, I eventually found out that I had a small crack in my up-pipe flange. Decided to go solid up pipe, again as I heard flex joints can also leak some. So, up-pipe was replaced and thick, multi layer gaskets were used to take the stress off of the flanges on the new up-pipe.

I have a new up pipe and a new catless downpipe as well. I have all new gaskets but i cant do it yet. One of my friends told me to try replacing the cabin filter. I went and got it, hope it works. I also had my mechanic go over the engine and there are no exhaust leaks which is weird.

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been on here, but is one that I feel a need to chime in on. I had several different exhaust setups and have worked on some of my friends also. The best place to start is the gaskets. The uppipe gaskets can be tought to get sealed properly, so if you have only done the UP then the gaskets are probably the culprit. This is especially true if you get the smell when sitting still and it comes in through the ventilation. When changing the gaskets look for black carbon buildup that goes all the way across the flat face of the old gasket. If you see that; it's a good indication that you have found the source of the leak. I know I changed my UP gaskets a few times because the lower on would blow out a section of the gasket. The other problem gasket was the DP to MP gasket. Any movement at that union can really screw a gasket up in a hurry and cause a leak.

I had a cattless UP and DP and found that the fumes were filling the back seat and bothering my kids. I think they were coming in through the trunk, but can't be 100% sure about that. From what I could see the black film(unburnt fuel) on the back bumper also made its way up into the drain holes in the bottom of the trunk lid. Just a theory. While I never actually got it to go away totally; I found that if I cracked the drivers front window and the passenger rear window that the crosswind would keep the cabin pretty clear of fumes.

I haven't had my car for a while, but still keep an eye on the forum as I still work on and tune Subie on a regular basis and would hate to see a post from someone who got sick or passed out while driving. Be careful and keep the windows cracked if you have an fume problem.

Let's kick this pig!

Crazy bump...

But honestly I too have just started to get the cabin smell over the last couple weeks. I`ve had a catless UP and shorty DP installed for 4 years without issue. Never a smell.

Now, when the climate controls are on, I get doused with exhaust smell when at idle.

I`m thinking it`s a gasket issue, or a leak in the engine bay area. I`m taking my car to the dealer on Weds and having it checked out.

The smell is non-existant when I turn the climate controls totally off.....

I had a major service done yesterday and the culprit was a worn out / leaking gasket, the service manager couldn't tell me which one. It was replaced and pow! Smell gone.

Likely the up pipe gasket or the turbo to DP gasket. both are located in the engine bay and would cause the smell to flow in to the cabin.

Im running a stock exhaust besides the hogzaust exhaust leak. I also get fumes in my car after WOT and only having the front windows open. The smell does go away with the back windows cracked or open. I always thought it was from the exhaust leak though. Im about to install an uppipe and downpipe ill post after the install.

Archived