LegacyGT.com

Has anybody replaced their springs on a GT wagon?

Rommel

[quote name='KGreb']You're talking about the nut at the top of the strut, right? I had 3 of 4 top strut nuts come off easily with a 17mm impact socket. 1 was a bit tricky and required using an allen wrench (6mm?) to turn the strut while I held the nut in place with a 17mm open wrench. You can't get the wrench on flat, but you can attack it from an angle and provide enough pressure to keep it from moving as you turn the strut. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE] It shouldnt be tight.. anyways, you can use an offset closed wrench along with the allen key. OR you can use a 300+ lbs torque impact gun to take it off. To tighten, just set your impact gun to 45 lbs. (if you have that kind of fancy tools). Keefe
Keefe

KGreb, WRT what's turning what, it doesn't really matter since they're in opposition. I couldn't get my wrench on the nut well enough to produce any meaningful torque. I don't have an impact wrench either so that wasn't an option. Xenonk, WRT to torquing the nuts I don't feel so bad about my in-the-ballpark efforts anymore:) I fully intend on retorquing every nut after I get my wrench situation straightened out. Just bought another SnapOn 20-100 ft-lb wrench on eBay today and am watching several others that range from 30-200 to 50-250 ft-lb. I already have a 20-240 in-lb wrench so I should be covered for any conceivable automotive needs. WRX_LGT, don't give up! All it takes is the right tools and a little resolve. My local dealer, SoD, quoted me $360 for the install. Even if it takes 6 hours you saved $60/hr in after-tax money. Pretty sound fiscal policy if you ask me. Besides, I already made most of the mistakes for you:)

[quote name='hal9e3']I'm having a difficult time finding the tool I need to do this. O'Reilly's has the right tool, which looks like a deep socket that's hexagonal on the outside rather than round, but it's the wrong size (15mm vs. the necessary 17mm). Also, the one local Subaru dealer I tried said they didn't sell the OEM tool. Does anyone know where I can find a tool to do this?[/QUOTE] No special tolls needed...to remove you can: A: Use an 17mm Impact Socket and Impact Gun (as mentioned). or B: Loosen (just loosen, not remove!) the bolt with a standard 17mm socket and breaker bar while the car is still sitting on the ground (before you take the struts out of the car). Then remove the struts and use the same standard 17mm socket and wrench to remove the nut. (Caution: Springs are under compression, use a spring compressor if you aren't familar with doing this). to install: A: Use an 17mm Impact Socket and Impact Gun (as mentioned, don't over torque). or B: Snug the 17mm nut while assembling the struts off the car. Install struts in car, let car sit on ground. Use torque wrench to tighten the nut. Torque specs (From the 2005 Legacy Service Manual): Front Strut: ABS & Brake Line to strut - 24.3 ft/lbs Lower Strut to hub - 112.1 ft/lbs (both) Upper Strut Mount to body - 14.5 ft/lbs (all 3) Strut Shaft Nut - 41 ft/lbs Rear Shocks: Lower Shock Mount - 118 ft/lbs Upper Shock Mount to body - 24.5 ft/lbs (both) Shock Shaft Nut - 41 ft/lbs Minimum Tools needed: Breaker Bar Socket Wrench 12mm, 17mm & 19mm Sockets (Deep) 14mm & 19mm Wrench Jack Jack Stands Figure 2-3 hours by hand, 1-2 (or less) with air tools [i]EDIT: Fixed torque spec typo! :lol: [/i]

[quote name='Opie']Rear Shocks: Lower Shock Mount - 118 ft/lbs Upper Shock Mount to body - [B]2445 ft/lbs [/B] (both) Shock Shaft Nut - 41 ft/lbs[/QUOTE] I know you meant 24.45 ft/lbs, but I read this and started envisioning the size of the torque wrench required for a torque this high! "Man, I was able to torque that nut after I really got on the wrench 15 feet away!"
:spin:

2445 lbs.ft is something you see for a drag racing clutch clamping force. :lol: besides, the iron pipe you would need that is 15' long HAS got to weigh well over 80 lbs.. try manuvering that thing around the garage :lol: Yeah, we all know that's a typo. There's a tolerance of up to 147 lbs for the lower shock rear, 31 lbs for the upper shock mount, and the shock shaft nut can vary up to 48 lbs (according to my Chilton's the last time I looked at the upper tolerances). Keefe
Keefe

ummm, not to be a total asshat, but did you compress the SPRING before the attempt of removing the top strut nut?? YOU DO KNOW THAT NUT IS UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE SPRING PUSHING AGAINST IT?? Use spring clamps/spring vise/spring compressor to compress the spring so the the spring is just wobbling around. Once the spring is no longer in contact with the top hat, you should be able to remove it with an offset wrench and an allen wrench to loosen it. I think no one mentioned about doing that yet on this thread. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']ummm, not to be a total asshat, but did you compress the SPRING before the attempt of removing the top strut nut?? YOU DO KNOW THAT NUT IS UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE SPRING PUSHING AGAINST IT?? Use spring clamps/spring vise/spring compressor to compress the spring so the the spring is just wobbling around. Once the spring is no longer in contact with the top hat, you should be able to remove it with an offset wrench and an allen wrench to loosen it. I think no one mentioned about doing that yet on this thread. Keefe[/QUOTE] Yep, I compressed the spring first, and you're not being a TOTAL asshat:) Myles pointed me to a Sears offset wrench so that solves the removal problem. Now all I have to do is figure out how to retorque. I have a couple of ideas that don't involve an impact wrench, both of which officially qualify me for 'Anal Retentive of the Month/Year/Epoch' award: 1) Get a spring scale, also referred to as a liar(sp?) in fishing circles. Using the offset wrench, torque the bolt to the specified value using the formula: (Actual torque) = (Liar reading) x (wrench length in feet) 2) I can't seem to find a 17mm spark plug socket but 18mm ones are common. Remove 17mm nut with offset wrench, replace with 18mm nut, use 18mm spark plug socket for reinstall, torquing and future removal/installation. Let the guffawing and floor-rolling commence!

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I've never used a spring compressor in my life. I'm used to that nut flying all over the place![/QUOTE] Nothing like seeing how tough your body is as a backstop for a high speed missile hazard. ;) SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived