LegacyGT.com

SpecB Lowering Springs Help!

SubieChik

I was just wondering if anyone here has lowered their SpecB? I am looking to get some springs soon but recently just heard a bad review about the ones I was about to buy. I am too cheap for coilovers right now so I wanted the Tein STechs. Someone told me that they are a very harsh ride and I don't want that. They also have a regular LGT. Would it be different with the Bilsteins?? Anyways I don't want STi Pinks becuase they only lower the car half an inch (that is why I was going with the Teins because it was more aggressive drop at an 1.5"). I have heard about the swift springs but I don't know if tht will drop it enough for me....:confused: Doesthe swifts offer a nice ride?? Has anyone heard anything good about Eibach?? Someone please help:eek: (Especially if you can recommend something that you have or have riden in).

I'm not an expert, but have been doing some research around here, and I'll throw a couple of things out there for you to think about.

first your struts have a given travel, which was designed around the springs you currently have. the more drop you have with an aggresive spring, the less travel you get in your strut. You've got nice struts, and it be a shame not to use them as they were designed. It seems they match nicely with the pinks, but you won't get a lot of drop, as you stated.

Why do you want drop? This may seem like a silly question, but do you want drop for performance? or for the look? answering this question will help folks get you where you want to be. More drop will be harder on the soft parts of your suspension, and will chew up your rear LCA bushing quick, so you will want to go ahead and replace that with an after market, and save your self the cost of an extra alignment.

look at subiwiki.com. there is a list of aftermarket springs and their drop/spring rates.

if you want the look, and keep the drivabilty of near stock, look at the H-techs. They will drop you about right between the pinks and the s-techs, and only stiffen the front a bit over the stock spring rate. if you want the performance, go with the pinks, or a spring that is rated stiffer than the pinks.

If you want a lot o' drop AND performance, then it's time to think about coilovers. The benifit of coilovers is you can dial in the drop to where you want it, and you don't lose any travel. they cost more, but to get a lot of drop, and a signifcantly stiffer spring rate, It is the way to go. If your willing to sell your bilstiens, you could offset some of the cost of going to coilovers.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

So the STI Pinks give the least amount of drop? I was thinking about springs as well but I didn't want an aggressive drop just better preformance with a ride closest to stock as far as comfort.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

get the swifts they are designed for your car

The published numbers on the swifts are stiffer than the pinks and the s-techs, which she thought would be too harsh. the pinks are progressive springs, so are the h-techs, so probably a little more forgiving. I'm mostly going by the subiwiki info here, but also from what others have said about their experiences.

I was looking at the htechs, but with 30k on the stock lgt struts, I have decided not to. I'm leaning toward coil overs sometime in the future, probably around 40K. If I had bilstiens already, I would look at the pinks, as many folks are happy with this set up.

The cobb springs give a good drop, but they don't publish spring rate numbers. They say they are designed to work with the stock LGT strut, so they are probably a very close rate to the stocks. I doubt they are very harsh, I don't know if folks would consider the bilsiens to be over dampening for this spring.

from cobb:

The COBB Sport Springs for the Legacy GT reduce the ride height by 1.75" in the Front and 1.0" in the Rear. Spring rates are increased slightly over stock which results in a sporty feel without compromising the sedan ride quality a Legacy owner comes to favor.

(http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/Default.asp?id=3139&v=more)

Added: Just found a review on the cobbs in the review section, here http://legacygt.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=209&sort=2&cat=18&page=1

there's a pic of a members car with these springs.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the swifts on my specB. I thought they dropped the car too much. You can check out edkwons car too.

I had friends that have driven it with the swifts and they both said "that's how the car should've come from the factory". One of them has a wrx wagon with stock suspension and the other a 05 legacyGT with S-tech.

I have the swifts on my specB. I thought they dropped the car too much. You can check out edkwons car too.

I had friends that have driven it with the swifts and they both said "that's how the car should've come from the factory". One of them has a wrx wagon with stock suspension and the other a 05 legacyGT with S-tech.

So are you going to take the swifts off b/c they are too low or are you going to keep them on?

Is the ride noticeably firmer with the swifts compared to the stock springs? Also do you have sways?

I'm looking to firm up the ride too.

I have Cobbs on my specB and there pretty nice, much firmer good deal lower but not too low, and the Cobbs look alot different on a specB there is no rake its a pretty much even drop ill take some pics this afternoon and post one ;)

oh nice please do, I'm going to pull the triger on springs soon.

Heres the pics with the specB on Cobbs doesent do them justice theres almost no rake at all on the springs. They ride good and lower it a decent amount 1.75 in front and 1.0 in rear. Also on a side note; went in to the dealer to have my alignment redone($67.oo to have it done right) and when i told them i had aftermarket springs the guy was all "Well try but we seriously doubt well be able to get it aligned correctly".... came out perfectly aligned :cool: (can upload a pic of realignment paperwork/graphs if anyone needs) They do a hell of a job on reducing roll. *Oh also at $250. not a bad deal ;)

(posted links and not photos as too lazy to edit/make them smaller ;)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/halfbaked32184/S5000886.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/halfbaked32184/S5000885.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/halfbaked32184/S5000884.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/halfbaked32184/S5000883.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/halfbaked32184/S5000881.jpg

I'm still sticking with the springs, I just wish they were a little longer.

With the springs the car feels so planted on the highway at even 3 digits, it's almost scary. The downside is rough side streets, but you can't win them all can you.

BTW I won't be attempting any rallyX with this setup unless it's winter rallyX.

If you want an aggressive drop, go with Provas if you can find them.

+1

im running provas with jdm spec b rev a bilstiens (firmest bilstiens) and the ride is awesome. not jarring at all. actually absorbs bumps much better then stock. my reg lgt suspension felt like i hit a brick wall over med-large bumps. now on the highway its planted and the see saw effect from all the torque when your in the sweet spot on the turbo is pretty much gone.

not a single passenger has said anything about the ride. i still get the "i love riding in your car its so nice" from the ladies, so that right there says everything.

provas have one of the highest springrates at 4.35f and 6.7r

drop is 25mm front and 20mm rear

i ended up adding a 2nd spring pad in the rear suspension to add more preload to raise the car up. with spec b wheels and tires the rears tucked and i dont like that. now i have a 1 finger gap all around :)

pics b4 adding 2nd rear spring pad

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1489/img2257qz7.jpg

swifts are also a nice setup but drop the front more and rear less. provas are actually manufactured by swift at 1/2 the price since it doesnt say swift and i think there is another brand mach or mach swifts as well.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Problem with putting "pinks" on our 07 B's is that we're not getting the correct pinks from most vendors. We're getting JDM GT AT pinks from those vendors who don't pay attention to the customer when they say that they have an 07, which has the 6MT....just like (gasp) the JDM GT SpecB. Wonder of wonders!

07 B owners should be getting JDM Spec B MT pink front springs. For sedan owners, there is only one choice for rears. Wagons have 2 choices to watch out for.

Rumor has it that the JDM Spec B springs are taller to account for the extra weight of the 6MT and the fact that the car is equipped with Bilsteins...which the GT AT car does not have, but does have a similar weighted tranny (5EAT).

And of course, NO ONE has the paint dab & part number cross reference charts and those who do are not willing to share them. :mad:

Bitter? just a touch.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

The pinks on my Spec.B dropped the car around 30mm.

the few 07 spec bs ive seen sit extremely high!! i mean i could see the entire lower spring perch in the front! could easily fit my fist in there and thats with 18s that are 1" larger diameter then a lgt on 17s.

i dont remember seeing that on 06 spec bs???

also as the above poster pointed out there are A LOT of diff versions of pinks

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I think it was your car I saw. Did you post pics on here with your springs on?? I think on a regular GT it is higher. At least from the pictures I saw, but I don't really know.

pinks actually drop more on a reg gt suspension, but if your just looking at wheel gap remember that the spec b runs the same size tire but on 18s so its diameter is 1" larger overall then a reg lgt on 17s. this will suck up wheel gap creating illusion car is dropped more when ground clearance is actually higher.

when i just threw on spec b wheels and tires on my lgt with oem suspension my wheel gap decreased alot! looked drop except for the fact that the car was sitting higher off the ground.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Rumor has it that the JDM Spec B springs are taller to account for the extra weight of the 6MT and the fact that the car is equipped with Bilsteins...which the GT AT car does not have, but does have a similar weighted tranny (5EAT).

The JDM GT has Bils, just not the same Bils as the JDM Spec.B (which are stiffer).

To clarify:

USDM Spec.B Bils = JDM GT Bils

USDM Spec.B Bils != JDM Spec.B Bils

yeah, they do. argh, brain fart.

The JDM GT has Bils, just not the same Bils as the JDM Spec.B (which are stiffer).

To clarify:

USDM Spec.B Bils = JDM GT Bils

USDM Spec.B Bils != JDM Spec.B Bils

How does that equation you posted clarify things? :lol: Whats the exclamation for?

OT: blast, I may just have to get a used set of Rev A and have them rebuilt by Bilstein.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived