LegacyGT.com

My BC-BR racing coilover are on!!!

speeddr7

Here we go.

I could not wait to get them on. I did take a few pics but was way to excited to pay attention, so I know I could have done better.

First impressions:

Man these are nice. Real quality piece. Ask Josh about all the specs because these are really sick.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1928.jpg

Installation:

So easy! Really, I've never installed coilovers and was nervous about it. I was alone, I dont have any power tools or even a breaker bar (never needed it, thanks to my gun show:)). It was probably to my advantage that I had my Cobb sprngs installed not to long ago, but a little muscle goes a long way with some of these these bolts.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1925.jpg

here are comparison between the stock struts with Cobb springs (which I really liked as well) and the BC's:

front: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1929.jpg

rear: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1930.jpg

Fronts took maybe an hour and a half and the rear maybe an hour. Watch the abs sensor, I guess I messed up mine.

First impressions:

I put the front ones on first and went for a ride. Wow were they firm. Out of the box they were maybe 5 clicks from the hardest setting. Literally on rails. Very impressed.

Went to do the rears. After they were in, dropped the car and set all the coilovers at about 18 clicks. Took a step back to admire:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1931.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1932.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/speeddr7/100_1933.jpg

I talked to Josh and he told me the only time there were any complaints on knocking or anything else it was because people start messing with the pretension before they were on. So I figured I'd put them on and see what happens. So my advice if any is to leave them alone, stop trying to analize them and just put them on. These pics are how it was set right out of the box. Didn't touch a thong. Height wise its maybe 1/4 inch off between the front and rear.

The car does need an alignment and will get one in about 2 days when I put my LCA bushings on.

I've taken turns at speeds that I wouldnt even dare before. The car handles sick. And it is very comfortable as well. Ive since adjusted to 25 clicks to see how a softer setting is. The ride is actually better than my stock struts and Cobb springs. Very happy with this mod. Before my alignment I will even out the car after the LCA install and I cant wait to bring it to the track.

Let me tell you, my re92's are really unhappy right now :) I know that these tires are really limiting my testing.

I will update this as time goes on to tell you how they settle. If you have any q's or if I left anything out just ask.

Thanks

Dan

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

Guest Gitster

Hmm, yeah I read all the discussion threads about the LCA, and all I got out of it is that theres more to it than ya think, haha. I really only would replace it as a precaution to the stock one wearing out because of lowering the car.

I have gotten that the LCA and the Sway bar mounts are the weak points of our suspension / steering. Those are points that I want to re-enforce while doing my other suspension upgrades (Sway bars, endlinks, and lowering.)

My concern on the high offset is the tire wear. Not that it neccessarily changes the characteristics, but some people argued that is would.

I guess if you are going to track alot, then the high offset is a good addition, but Im only going to do some mild autoX, I use my car ALOT for daily driving, so tire wear is on my mind.

I heard that in a properly aligned car it really wont wear like you think, but I'll let you know what happens.

I really want to go to the track now. But I need real tires.

Guest Gitster

Yeah my plan for the summer *gulp bank account* is:

RSB (Perrin I think)

Perrin End Links

AVO SB Mounts

Tein H Techs used from RobE (should go to a coilover eventually, but at 1/10th the price, im good with the springs )

SS Brake Lines / Hawk Pads / HP fluid

LCA

Im also getting Rotas (Gforce) w/ a kickass summer tire.

AutoX should be fun after all this upgrades. So should daily driving.

I have the Cobb front and rear sways with reinforcement brackets and love them. Will probably get endlings as well soon.

And next upgrade will be the brakes and possibly fluid and ss lines. All depending on price and bank account.

^thanks a lot.

I saw the leak during my last oil change, it was barely a drip then. After I went for the ride I saw a big trail and it poured out on the floor. No change in driveability. Went to autozone and bought some more fluid. Seems to be back to a drip now but am at the moment waiting for the tow truck to bring it to the dealer. :(

Miserable about it.

I hope they dont bust my balls on the mods I have.

I'll let you know what happens.

Dudes, I am going nuts. Another tip for you guys looking to install these or any coilovers, be carefull withe the sensors for the abs when installing. Apparently I damaged one of mine, f'n pissed. Well see what these guys say tomorrow.

What timing with the leak, right after the coilover install.

Well, hopefully tomorrow the lca bushing come in as well. So I can get this baby aligned and really test it out.

Dudes, I am going nuts. Another tip for you guys looking to install these or any coilovers, be carefull withe the sensors for the abs when installing. Apparently I damaged one of mine, f'n pissed. Well see what these guys say tomorrow.

What timing with the leak, right after the coilover install.

Well, hopefully tomorrow the lca bushing come in as well. So I can get this baby aligned and really test it out.

That is excellent advice on the ABS sensor. Do not tug on the wire to the sensor. Both the sensor and the wire are rather fragile and easily damaged.

actually not fine, rough idle, stalling out and fan constantly running. WTF!!! Dealer was busting my balls on mods also. These guys are so f'n cheesy and were probably picked on in school.

ECU recall FTW. Mods are irrelevant to this problem. If you're running an AP be sure and unmarry it before the swap or it'll be a beatch to get your AP to marry the new ECU.

glad to hear you are happy with the coilovers! I have them coming for my 06 sti demo car...so i'll be daily driving these as well to show that i believe in them (compared to coilovers that cost much more!) Look forward to hearing more of your driving impressions!

sorry to hear about the bad luck with the car

Archived