LegacyGT.com

2 Intercoolers? nah, but a neat idea

thought some of you guys might find this interesting. a fellow Speed3 owner in OR is test fitting a new FMIC option from Corksport. so he posted up this grainy pic. you can't see much of it but a typical bar & plate FMIC core is located in the lower grill housing where you'd expect to find it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/CStwinFMIC.jpg

a first glance I thought what the hell......why's the stock TMIC still in place with its cover on it????

then he replied after a few silly replies that you need to look closer. its a K&N panel filter sitting under the cover. so its where they moved the air intake. they just reused the lower portion of the box that already has the stock MAF sensor mount integrated like on the Legacy.

so this means the air intake now works like the stock TMIC used to by feeding directly off the ram air coming in from the grill. the rubber booty under the hood seals around the cover and forces the vast majority of air across the IC.....er, I mean air intake. :p

he said the cover still need trimming to fit perfectly flat again. But after a few moments thinking about this setup I thought it was amazingly novel. what better way to feed ambient air rammed right from the front of the car into the compressor side? there no place you can locate a cold air intake that could do any better unless you fed it right off a missing fog light or something like that. even then it won't enjoy the full effect of a captured air source.

I do wonder about keeping the panel filter properly snug and sealed tightly to the lower housing to prevent ingestion of debris, etc. but I'm sure that can be worked out easily enough with a perimeter clamp or such thing.

what do you guys think about this idea? pretty "cool" eh???

just had a thought.......what about rain/water ingestion? would that do anything harmful? or would you get the "benefit" of H2O misting????? might screw up the MAF sensor I'm thinking? hummmmmmm :confused:

hey, some good soap & water and you've got a self-cleaning panel filter.

seriously, I've been Googling about water ingestion, condensation, rain etc in combination with a MAF sensor and I'm getting squat.

my very limited understanding of how a MAF sensor works is by precisely measuring the change in heat transfer properties of a thermistor element sitting in the air stream. more air mass means more heat transfer = MAF sensor reading.

so in my mind, it shouldn't take much moisture to start causing major concerns about inaccurate air mass measurements. but if it works the way I think it does (heat transfer), then any moisture should falsely indicate higher air mass flow than is actually there. so it would run richer (more fuel for less actual air mass).

heck..................I really don't know??????

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about this for the legacy, but I don't have the fabrication skill or facility.

you would need an airbox to house the filter, with a filter opening nearly the same shape as the intercooler core, and a retaining frame around that. You make the airbox bottom drain away from the turbo, toward the firewall, driver's side, and drain it, with a hose, or just a short angled tube and a screen (to keep debris from getting sucked in that way.)

There has to be ways to drain ram-air airboxes. several cars have them.

The air tube for the intake would be on the passenger's side, and come in near the filter, above the bottom of the box, so that even if there were an inch of water standing in the box, it wouldn't be submerged, or suck in water. Also maybe a slight baffle to keep incoming water from going directly into the intake tube.

It would be interesting to see what the prospect for keeping water out of the stock airbox is, granted that less water comes into the snorkel than would come into the hood scoop....

The other option is to have an inner scoop receiver pan that drains before ducting the air to an air-filter somewhere else in the engine bay. I am not sure how well air filters like to get soaked repeatedly.

Archived