LegacyGT.com

Need help - 05 Wagon severe problems

So here's the story. It's a bit lengthy, so bear with me. I appreciate any and all advice.

I have an 05 Leg. GT Wagon (non-limited, manual tranny) with about 27k miles. Still plenty of warranty left. No performance mods whatsoever. Have jazzy's aux and a boost guage, plus some minor electrical stuff I've put in, but nothing drivetrain related, and no way what I installed would affect anything else.

About 9 weeks ago my turbo dies while driving. Take it to a dealer and they say turbo is dead, we'll replace it under warranty. That's good as I've seen it be a problem. They replace it - a week later. I come to pick it up, and as I'm driving away I hear noises on high boost. Take the dealer out, he kinda hears it, so he goes with the tech. They didn't really hear the noise again, but the turbo dies on them. I take a loaner and a week later pickup my car again. They took it on a 40-60 mile test drive before I pick it up to make sure it's fine. I get it from them and thought happy days...

A week later it dies again. I had it towed to a dealer closer to me (it was first at a place an hour away because that's where I was when it died). They got the car (the towing company that Subaru sent dropped it at the wrong place! but that's another story...) and it turns out that the engine needs to be replaced.

It takes 4 weeks. They replace the whole block, and in the process the tech runs his hand through the timing belt. I feel bad for the tech as they are still not sure if he'll get all usage back, however, I don't know that that did not cause any more problems. Just before returning it to me they decide the turbo is bad again, and replace that once more. So I'm on my 4th turbo and 2nd engine in a car with 27000 miles.

Now - one more week has passed since I received the car and several issues have arrisen again. The turbo just started making noises on boost. Almost like a bov, but not only did it not do this when I picked it up (or ever with previous ones) but also the belt has started squealing off and on and it sounds like there is a ticking/knocking in the engine.

I plan on calling a different dealership tomorrow am to see when I can drop it off and get a loaner. However - I am thinking that there has to be something more going on here. I intend to talk to SOA to begin something, but, I'm really not even sure what to really look for.

I'm almost ready to ask them to replace this car, but they not only don't make the same car with manual tranny, they don't even make the legacy wagon anymore. They have an outback with turbo and manual, but even comparing original sticker price, the outback is a lot more expensive considering I had the non-limited, which is also no longer available. Perhaps they would suggest buying me out, but giving me kbb value for the car puts me in a crap position as it makes purchasing another car quite a hardship. Any suggestions?

Utlimately I love this car and want to keep it, but I don't even know if they can fix it at this point. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

well i'm sorry to hear of your sucktacular ordeal. it seems really odd that there are that many failure prone new turbos out there. makes me wonder if the tech is doing or not doing something properly.....

best of luck and keep updates coming.....

There's a thread in the turbo section about the filter in the oil line of the turbo (I believe it's near or in the banjo bolt). This could be what's happening to your turbo's. That filter could be clogged, and is causing turbo failure.

Other than that, I have no idea.

LOTS of reading here, but it could help you.

Link 1 - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689&highlight=turbo+filter+oil

Link 2 - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57081&highlight=turbo+filter+oil

Link 3 - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59691&highlight=turbo+filter+oil

from my short experiance at a dealer. a somplete subaru engine is hard to come buy. they replace just the bottom end. being the crank and rod and pistons and what not. so if thats what they did... swap your heads over... than the suspect filter could still be in there starving the turbo of oil each time. then maybe the failed turbo messed up the engine? but then i would think it would mess up the .... well i duno. what was your question again?

oh. i would call soa and ask for a 100% new eninge, turbo, and all lines. including all oil lines. but then again you need to know what failed in the first place to cause all this.

There's a thread in the turbo section about the filter in the oil line of the turbo (I believe it's near or in the banjo bolt). This could be what's happening to your turbo's. That filter could be clogged, and is causing turbo failure.

+1

It's not the filter - the first dealer knew about it, or at least the tech that worked on the second replacement, who said it was fine.

In any case - I've been using Mobil1 every 4-6k miles from the beginning, changing my own oil.

Ultimately I'd prefer to just have my car. I love this car (when it worked) and considering they don't make anything of a replacement for this, I can't even get a new one.... :sigh:

zmarko - thanks for the links - I've seen them all. And if you notice, the third one was mine :D (and in it where I was told there was no filter ;)

I'd worry about the cat in the uppipe if you are eating turbos that quick. Not sure If that would lead to the internal engine failure or not..
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I'd put money on a bad service tech/installation proceedure as opposed to some engineering problem.

I hope SOA continues to replace the parts that break for you.

I'm thinking the same,,something ain't right here.Too many parts going wrong in a short amount of time.:confused:

And believe me "good help IS hard to find";)

Well, running your hand through the timing belt is not an indication of excellent skills:icon_conf

Anyway - spoke to SOA and have an appt with a different dealer on wed. They are referring it to the regional rep and hopefully they will get this fixed. I'm more afraid not that it's just been bad techs (two different dealers and 4 different techs) which seems quite coincidental, but that there is a more serious problem with the car as a whole. There are those that come off the line with general overall problems. That's why it's a warranty and not a guarantee.

I'd put money on a bad service tech/installation proceedure as opposed to some engineering problem.

I hope SOA continues to replace the parts that break for you.

I would ask the dealer or the tech. if they are "priming" the new turbo before they start it....if they don't, the turbo will take a sh&*....it's just that simple...I’ve seen it a thousand times with the Nissan Z twin turbo and other turbo cars where installation mistakes have been made……

:)

It's not the filter - the first dealer knew about it, or at least the tech that worked on the second replacement, who said it was fine.

In any case - I've been using Mobil1 every 4-6k miles from the beginning, changing my own oil.

Ultimately I'd prefer to just have my car. I love this car (when it worked) and considering they don't make anything of a replacement for this, I can't even get a new one.... :sigh:

Make 'em get you a new, 08 5mt turbo wagon Unlimited - from Subaru of Canada. The car is still made, it just has km/h instead of of mph on the speedometer.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived