LegacyGT.com

Improve Handling Mod

CaptRB

Hi there...I have a 2007 LGT with about 5K miles on her. Love the car but would like to stiffen her "just a bit" around corners as there's a tad too much body roll for me. I've read about just doing springs, but....

1) I don't want to lower the car much.

2) I don't want to make her look rear-heavy as I've read some spring sets do.

3) I'd like to use my existing struts for a while longer.

Comments/ideas?

Thanks!

Capt RB:lol:

Ditto. rallitek.com
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Hi there - welcome to the Forum! I agree that anti-sway bars may be a good starting place for you, but you might want to read a couple of the 'sticky' threads at the top of the Suspension forum - TONS of good information there. Sway bars will help to minimize the side-to-side body roll as the car corners, which sounds like what you are looking for. Just be aware that they do not help at all with dive and squat under straightline braking and acceleration - to address those, you'd need to address the springs/struts.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Do your suspension mods in this order

1. new sticky tires

2. new struts

3. Lca bushings

3. springs

4. sway bars

A cheap coilover set may be substituted for the springs and struts. Ask any race car driver and he'll tell you that the first thing to chang in your suspension after tires is struts. Swaybars are the last thing to change.

Ask any race car driver and he'll tell you that ......

I can never read that line ever again without busting out into laughter.

thank you, fast n furious.

but white's got it. sway bars should be used to fine tune your setup. with coils and such you can get away with a smaller sway bar. if it's stock you might need a larger sway bar, which can rip the mounts off the car. that's bad.

people will chime in that they just have a sway bar and have had no problems. I'm not saying you WILL have problems, I'm saying you'll have better results if you do the coils first.

car for sale. PM me!

I kept the stock springs on my '02 LGT, but went with KYB GR-2 struts/shocks; that settled the ride really well - no more wallowing. The GR-2s are OK until the temperature drops below freezing and they get VERY stiff. I also put on Whiteline heavy duty sways front and rear, and it no longer leans much in corners. Upgraded end links are needed with the bigger sways; I used AVO but they were a PITA (Whiteline next time). Getting rid of the Bridgestones helped a lot - Pirelli P0 Nero M&S hold the road a lot better. That setup gives me a reasonable ride on the street, with some increase in NVH, but well within acceptable limits for me (it's my DD).

Bilstein shocks and struts are available now for the Legacy, and might be a better solution; however, they cost about twice as much as the GR-2s and require a new set of top hats IIRC.

Other mods I've done are a Centerforce DFX clutch (lighter pedal and an extended engagement range make it much more pleasant on the street), Hawk HPS pads all around (no more pedal vibration from binder deposits), Kartboy short shifter and front bushing, and a Whiteline anti-lift/caster kit (improved on-center feel ). The ALK is the standard model, but I'd go with the comfort version if I were doing it again (noticeable NVH increase).

Hey whitetiger.....whats the story with the LCA bushing installs by you. I have a set that needs to be installed. Could I get it installed by you same day? How much?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Pm me about this. I cant do it the same day unless you have a spare set of control arms for me to put the bushings in. The press i use is not where i do my installs. I used to have a spare set that i would trade out with, but not anymore.

Sway bars--particularly for the rear.

F&R sways. Best bang for the buck. Must add reinforcements to rear sways.

I happen to like COBB.

Then go to coil overs. Remember, you get what you pay for.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Not coils first, struts first. coils second or third(only cause im a big fan of LCA bushing upgrades).

ooops i meant coils as shorthand for coilovers

car for sale. PM me!

can never read that line ever again without busting out into laughter.

AS a person who was racing cars, before most of you was born, adding struts(IE bigger/stiffer shocks) is the LAST thing to do. Why you ask? Because in the real world, and on a lot of tracks, the road surface is bumpy. And if your springs are hard, and your shocks are hard the car will out handle a soft set car, until you hit a bump. Then in the hard sprung/shocked car, the chassis (along with the tire)will leave the pavement(a'la Cart(as in racing cart))

Air has a lot less traction than pavement.

A second issue is that springs/shocks do not address the issue of camber change which is mitigated by bigger sway bars but not truly addressed by springs or particularly shocks. The greater the footprint, the more the tire sticks.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived