LegacyGT.com

doughnut or sealant or both?

bman

This might be a better forum for this question.

I recently finished a UP and DP upgrade. I'm noticing an exhaust leak in the connection from the mid to down pipe. I'm using the included (flat) gasket from Invidia and the stock spring bolts. I didn't use the doughnut gasket (I didn't realize it was mashed onto my stock DP when I removed it).

So my question is now: Should I order a another doughnut or should I go to AutoZone and pick up a tube of some exhaust sealant? Is one better than the other?

Since the stock DP fits into the mid and the new one doesn't (it just butts against the mid) would one type of sealant be better?

Thanks,

Brian

i cleaned the donut and re-used it with some sealant and mine's fine....worst case if things go wrong that gasket is easy to change anyways.

+1 and no leaks

i catually bought a new one thinking mine was bad and it wasn't......bought a second exhaust set up and the guy sent me his...sooooo

if you need on let me know..I have 3

i think i might have a spring bolt set laying around here as well

+1 and no leaks

i catually bought a new one thinking mine was bad and it wasn't......bought a second exhaust set up and the guy sent me his...sooooo

if you need on let me know..I have 3

i think i might have a spring bolt set laying around here as well

can the spring bolts be reused that are factory on the car? with aftermarket mid and down pipe can the donut gasket even be used?

I just got done putting an SPT CBE on to an Autospeed DP and I used a flat gasket with about an 1/8" of hi-temp silicone on both sides and straight bolts with washers and a lock washer to bolted it up loose unitl I hung the mufflers. Then I adjusted the cans and tightened down the DP->MP bolts snug and let it sit for an hour while I removed jackstand and cleaned everything up. It sealed great with NO leaks.

With the 3" DP and OE MP; I tried the flat gasket with no goo and it leaked, the doughnut with no goo and it leaked, the same used doughnut with goo and it leaked. This is the first time since I did the UP/DP a couple weeks ago that I'm not sucking exhaust fumes! It's great! Oh and it sounds nice too.:)

Let's kick this pig!

I just got done putting an SPT CBE on to an Autospeed DP and I used a flat gasket with about an 1/8" of hi-temp silicone on both sides and straight bolts with washers and a lock washer to bolted it up loose unitl I hung the mufflers. Then I adjusted the cans and tightened down the DP->MP bolts snug and let it sit for an hour while I removed jackstand and cleaned everything up. It sealed great with NO leaks.

With the 3" DP and OE MP; I tried the flat gasket with no goo and it leaked, the doughnut with no goo and it leaked, the same used doughnut with goo and it leaked. This is the first time since I did the UP/DP a couple weeks ago that I'm not sucking exhaust fumes! It's great! Oh and it sounds nice too.:)

I still dont understand why everyone has such a problem with leaks....what are these manufacturers doing wrong on our cars that we cant get these things not to leak.....i have never heard of this severe of a problem with other vehicles aftermarket exhausts

Edit: By the way congrats on it being done with no flaws!

The issues is the mismatch in the pipe size and the size of the OE doughnut. When you out a bigger DP on; most are designed to mate with a larger mid-pipe. When using the OE MP; the doughnut mates with the OE MP but is too small for the 3" opening on the DP. If you use the flat gasket; it won't mate properly because of the difference in pipe sizes also. The flat gasket will mate fine with the 3" pipe, but the hole in the gasket isn't small enough to mate with the OE pipe properly. It's fine when you do the whole exhuast at once from the turbo back. The problem is in matching up the two different sized pipes and flanges.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived