LegacyGT.com

Grafxwerks red out install gone bad

fatbastard

I guess I knew this was going to happen....but I tried to do the install this morning and decided it would be easier/cleaner to take the housing off and work inside. Well, it started off fine and I was starting to think all these threads I saw about wrinkles were a crock. Then I noticed I must not have lined up the sticker properly and was about to have a little amber show up top. So I tried to use the hairdryer set on low to stretch the film ever so slightly. Well almost immediately I could feel the film stretch and I knew I was beat. From that point on no matter what I did I was getting wrinkles since the piece stretched unevenly. I finished up and thought maybe I could salvage it....but I just wan't happy with the look. I don't think it would have been that obvious to someone else but it would piss me off so I just ripped it off.

Now I am thinking I might just try the other side with the alcohol method and see if I have better luck. I guess it can't hurt.

That sucks :( I just bought some badges from GrafxWerks a couple weeks ago and they were pretty good, good quality and fit. Did have to be careful about stretching tho.

I did my taillights a couple weeks ago and acourse they werent the same type of film (least i dont think the red outs and the sedan smoked are the same material? mine were off clear-guard.com) but i found keeping the taillight wet with warm soapy water as well as the non adhesive side of the film very wet was a huge help in getting them on/adjusting.

Yeah...not sure if the tinted tailight film is the same or not but I just tried the other one with alcohol/water spray and it was way easier. Problem is I don't think the flat cutout fits the curves of the tailight very well. No matter how I positioned the piece I still seemed to get a small fold near the top. Definately not satisfied with it so I will have to look for something else or find someone that has experience installing this stuff.

I did the grafxwerks too. I have wrinkles. That was easily the hardest install I have done on my car and I didn't even have to take anything apart to do it.

The wrinkles on mine are obvious if you know they are there, but most people don't notice them till I point them out.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The wrinkles on mine are obvious if you know they are there, but most people don't notice them till I point them out.

Yeah..unfortuantely I knew they were there...and it would piss me off to no end. I think I will look at other methods or having someone install them for me.

• 1 year later...
has anyone tried using some soapy water or water mixed with baby lotion on the surface to allow the sticker some movement before it adheres completely? Or is it impossible to squeegee out all the moisture after the fact?

Archived